It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*NEW* LOSAT Videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've noticed in a few other threads that some people doubt the power of the LOSAT ( Line Of Sight Antitank ) Missile. Maybe these videos may change your mind. Most of the targets are M60 Tanks at varying ranges, and one of a reinforced structure and another against a BRDM.

www.lockheedmartin.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I don't dount the LOSAT is a great weapon, however, an M60 is not a very fair target, a M1 or T-80 would probably be better target IMO.

a BRDM is just sad...a .50cal can kill it...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Nice vids.

In video #4, what's that glowing 'mist' that seems to appear in the air just after the missile hits the BMP?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I don't dount the LOSAT is a great weapon, however, an M60 is not a very fair target, a M1 or T-80 would probably be better target IMO.

a BRDM is just sad...a .50cal can kill it...

Well, I think we could assume that any MBT would be destroyed given the overkill with the M60. Hell, the Abrams has problems with RPG's.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Whoa, the missile sounds like a pistol from an old movie

In video #4, what's that glowing 'mist' that seems to appear in the air just after the missile hits the BMP?

Looks like reflection of explosion on some glass surface

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
impressive weaponry, cheap and effective, based on what i see it looks like its design to use speed and kinetic energy to destroy a tank, and to give a humvee a powerful weapon against an mbt.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
One of the best anti-tank weapons. Since a losat has about a 5 mile range, and tanks have approx. 2 mile range, ti's going to be difficult to defeat this in a tank vs. losat equipped Humvee. The ingenious part of the whole plan is that there are no explosives in the losat delivery system. It simply takes several long metal rods, and accelerates them up past the sound barrier, then TAG! The kinetic energy is transferred to the tank.

It doesn't matter how much armor the tank has since the penetration of armor isn't the objective. There's currently no way for the tank to release this energy except for it to fly apart. Awesome weapons. These videos are fun to watch as well.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
thats a BMP by the way...

a BRDM looks like this

But considering the BMP has paper thin aluminium armour that a heavy machine gun can punch through and the M-60 has a very high physical profile and again poor armour i'm not as impressed as I should be.

But than again the US millitary is not going to waste money bloowing up expensive kit so I guess rusting M-60's and cold war BMP's will have to do

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm sure they have tested the LOSAT on harder and thicker armor before they bough it, in fact they say the LOSAT can defeat all current armor and near future armor. And here is a picture of the M-60 Patton.

[edit on 18-4-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I personally have a soft spot for the good old M60A3 tank, I just like it.

By the way, they are still in service aren't they? mainly for homeland security in the reserves?

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Yes the M60 is mainly with the National guard and Reserves, I think they use it for training as they are not considered Front Line troops they don't get the Abrams.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Say what you will about the targets picked in the videos, I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of those even in a top of the line MBT from any nation. The sound of the LOSAT taking off is just too cool.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I personally have a soft spot for the good old M60A3 tank, I just like it.

By the way, they are still in service aren't they? mainly for homeland security in the reserves?

quite simply it was an awfull tank

top topics

join