It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sex Offender' Tracking a Prelude to Citizen Tagging

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Along with the recent horrible cases of child molestation and murder coming out of Florida are calls for new draconian measures to track people with any type of sex offense record (which in some cases can include things as innoculous as streaking)...is this a way to slowly introduce citizen tracking technology and methods? Some people are talking about permanent ankle bands with GPS systems so that the police have a record of everywhere these people have been. This seems like a perfect way to begin introducing such measures on the public with their complicity...

Classic Problem-Reaction-Solution.

[edit on 4/17/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
...while they let these sex offenders out to make room for non-violent criminals like cannabis users.

Yes, we are just frogs a-boiling.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I do not like the whole tracking thing either but would have to support it in this case. Unless you will turn me loose with a dull knife and a branding iron that says ChildMolester so I can put it on their forheads and cut off what got them in trouble.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I must agree djonsto77
I personally think the permanent ankle cuff with a GPS locator would help in the recent rash of child murders perpertrated by some sick son of a britches. I know here in S.W. Va. people who would dare to do such sick things to children would not last to nightfall in some counties.
I was also wondering if anyone can suggest a possible reason(s) for this rash of crimes? It there anything you can point to that would indicate a possible motive as to why at this point in time is our society allowing this to take place?

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Child sex offenders should be put to death, but our crazy society still lets them free to abuse more children, so yes these types should be tagged. Other sex offenders such as rapist should should be kept a close eye on. The rest..streakers...nah. I say let them be looonie.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I think Ambient Sound makes an excellent point. If we emptied our prisons of people who really shouldn't be there such as nonviolent drug users, we'd be able to put creeps like these behind bars for all eternity. No need to encroach on the liberties of others by vague definitions and technology applied beyond what was originally intended.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
i realy do not like the whole tracking anyone thing. i admit i do not like multiple sex offenders on the loose but i am torn about tracking them. we even have carla holmoka comeing out of prison soon. i can see it's use being spread too easily, first for serious crimes, then to less serious crimes, till finaly everyone is kept strict track of.

i think it would be worth while trying to figure out why such crimes seem to be becomeing more commonplace. is it just being more known about due to media? or is our societie's morals just so badly erroded that more violent and sick offences are hapening on a wider scale like a disease out of controll? i know that from what i have seen that the younger generation's work etics are definately worsening.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
To me its simple. If they are so dangerous that you have to track them then don't let them out to begin with. Otherwise I must assume that they have paid their debt to society and its time for them to move on and live freely.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
To me its simple. If they are so dangerous that you have to track them then don't let them out to begin with. Otherwise I must assume that they have paid their debt to society and its time for them to move on and live freely.

Agreed.
If someone is dangerous, they really shouldn't be out in public.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
One thing I do find a little interesting is the National coverage this topic has gotten all of a sudden followed by a push for several protectionary devices such as the gps anklets. But I never noticed it before. it seems a little weird starting with the Jackson case followed by 3 (I believe there were 3) nationally covered abductions. Now I do believe that this should get some coverage, for all parents sake. However, why is it such a national topic now and not years ago? I believe that one Couey guy got out after 2 years. Sheash they wanted to give me 30 days because I had a beer and was six months shy of my 21st birthday. Also i do know of cases where an 18 or 19 year old was arrested and convicted because of relations with a 17 year old. I don't think they need a ankelt. The ones that are a major risk to society should be jailed for long time. Also note though, that the people who are committing these heinous acts, are demented enough to continue doing them, anklet or no anklet.

Infoline.org
Some stats from infoline.org

CHILD ABDUCTION: STATISTICS

Parental abductions and runaway cases make up the majority of missing children in the United States. In 2001 there were about 725,000 children reported missing, or nearly 2,000 per day. The vast majority of these cases were recovered quickly; however, the parent or guardian was concerned enough to contact law enforcement and they placed the child into the FBI’s National Crime Information Center – a computerized national database of criminal justice information. It is available to Federal, state and local law enforcement and other criminal justice agencies.
Each year there are about 3,000 to 5,000 non-family abductions reported to police, most of which are short term sexually-motivated cases. About 200 to 300 of these cases, or 6 percent, make up the most serious cases where the child was murdered, ransomed or taken with the intent to keep.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Something really weird is going on....

I mean, these things happen (tragically) all the time. Why the recent massive media exposure though? And why in Florida particularly? Any coincidence this is Bush dynasty country? Maybe, maybe not.... All I know is that something smells very fishy about this recent media drumup of this issue....

Also i do know of cases where an 18 or 19 year old was arrested and convicted because of relations with a 17 year old. I don't think they need a ankelt.

Yet another problem, no shades of gray, only black or white.

Another issue in Florida is that agencies like DCF can basically brand you a criminal and even sieze your children and prevent you from seeing them WITHOUT any criminal trial or conviction...and with no legal recourse.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Something really weird is going on....

I mean, these things happen (tragically) all the time. Why the recent massive media exposure though? And why in Florida particularly? Any coincidence this is Bush dynasty country? Maybe, maybe not.... All I know is that something smells very fishy about this recent media drumup of this issue....

Well if it's anything to do with the Bushes it's a conspiracy against them since it only embarrasses Jeb. The spotlight is kind of off this issue due to the hoopla surrounding the new Pope, but I expect it to reappear in the coming days.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
What's next, electrical shock through the anklets when they make a motion to do something wrong?

Do you think we can rehab this guy and put him back into society?

Even if it's possible, why risk it? No, not death, but in their own community...without children.

[edit on 21-4-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It definately looks like they are slowly but surely introducing human tracking by tagging of some sort.

From the microchips people put in their pets to keep track of them in case they are lost, to the same happening with children. To chips used for 'greater security' in credit cards, GSP tracking through our mobile phones and identity cards (a hot topic here in the UK for a while now).

It begs the question - why do they want to track us?

To keep tabs on us 24/7? To ensure none of their rules are broken? And all the time we agree to this invasion of privacy because it is said (by the politicians) that it will stops paedophiles, and stops terrorism - Utter drivel of course, but that's how people work isn't it - we want politicians/priests/kings to keep us safe from the demons, bogey men and criminals - so those in power get what they want by peddling their solution, as our safety.

Another angle to tagging/microchipping is commerce. Honing down marketing and advertising to individual consumers to squeeze out the maximum profit per head.

I can imagine a world where a billboard will change it's advertisement for each person, when a child walks past, it's a MacDonalds ad featuring the latest TV cartoon tie-in, when a housewife walks past it's the latest perfume, when a teenager walks past, the latest digital download by their favourite band. Not too much harm in that, but it's the all-pervading invasion of privacy and the sale of individuality through purchasing (an oxymoron in itself) - which we see now that leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

Even worse, children born into this world without any knowledge of what came before would not question it.

I do fear for what is coming soon with microchipping and tagging, I fear because I can foresee that despite great protest, it will all go ahead any way because of the same tactics that led us into the Invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Is it our job, as those of us who can look at this from the outside to make others aware? Because the mainstream media will not do so. People in my life know my views on so-called 'conspiracy theory' and whilst I sometimes come in as the butt of the occasional joke because of it, at least they KNOW there are other opinions and that the media does not tell both sides of the story.

We need to make our own minds up by seeing as much information as possible, and the media are not in the business of informing unfortunately, we can't rely on them to kick up a fuss.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The obvious answer to this dilemma is to execute sexual offenders, especially rapists and child molesters.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
GradyPhilpott.
No need for that extreme.
Your talking the end of a life, when techinically, it is not called for.
Castration is the preferred option.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Castration, actual or chemical, does not stop a sexual predator. The behavior is too complex for that to be an answer. Death solves every single problem relative to recidivism and tracking.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Taking the risk of sounding paranoid, it does seem to me that more and more sex offenders are beeing released on purpose, to get ppl in the right state of mind to accept "tagging/traking" systems insereted in our bodies. This seems to be the begining of what later on may be knowned as the "mark of the beast"... Florida has already "tagged" several Alzheimers patients, under the "excuse" that if they get lost they will be tracked nad brought back home.

Remember that all this started with the 'pet tagging"...just in case you loose your pet...Indeed its wonderfull that we can track our pets, sick loved one and even dangerous criminals... but arent we opening the Pandora's box??? what if later donw the road the goverments decide that EVERYONE should have thsi "chips" for economical purposes ?

VeriChip

But off course in my opinion thsi would be easily solved if we renovated and re-opened alcatraz and made it a "Sex Offender Colonny". also it would be nice to review the all Sex Offender penalty laws, they are too light and short... Life in prison should be used in cases like this .

[edit on 23-4-2005 by BaastetNoir]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Sounds like a bad school film. And it is.

Some excellent points in this discussion, but here's the one word that scares the life out of me in all of it: recidivism.

Don't get me wrong, statistics are great... as long as you're not one of them.

But it's once recidivism theorists get outside the aggregate and start punishing people for future crimes where we MUST draw the line.

Because what makes the recidivism of sex offenders so special? It's not. The worst repeat offenders are the "little" guys.

DOJ Recidivism Statistics

Released prisoners with the highest rearrest rates were robbers (70.2%), burglars (74.0%), larcenists (74.6%), motor vehicle thieves (78.8%), those in prison for possessing or selling stolen property (77.4%), and those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).

[versus]

Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide.

So shall we move to a "one strike" and you're out society run by MADD mother's manipulating statistics to brand us each with the appropriate scarlett letter of our crime? Or once a man serves his time and does his probation, give him the benefit of the doubt he'll beat the odds?

I don't know, I'm asking. But I don't like where all this is heading any more than most in this thread. And alas we're in the minority, thanks to media sensationalism.

[edit on 23-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
A recidivist is a repeat offender. The death penalty prevents recidivism. In the case of child sexual predators, this is especially important. The issue is not punishment for possible future crimes, but adequate punishment for crimes already committed. How many violated children is too many? Why should we have to follow a sexual predator for his lifetime?

[edit on 05/4/23 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join