It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(ACSS) Diary of an Ancient

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
In a recent archeological dig, what appears to be a fragmented crystal memory chip was discovered. The contents of that ancient stone have been translated and reproduced here. Dates and measurements have been substituted where appropriate.

This story wishes to be told.

March 18, 8498 BC
Underground City – Omega

It’s been seven days since the rain started. They said it would last another thirty three days, at least. It’s the closest passing of Mars in history. That once blue planet would be drained within forty days. Nothing can prepare you for the sight of oceans of water sheeting through space towards you. This miraculous sight was exemplified by the ominous red cross seen through the water. We were in for quite a ride.

The reports coming in through the ionized crystal receiver were haunting. The oceans have already risen thirty five feet worldwide. Twenty miles of new ice has been added to the circumference of the northern planetary glacier. They say we’ll be at eighty percent surface water when it’s all over. Earth will be changed forever. Many of our great cities will be submerged. Untold species will perish. But we will survive. It’s the comets that worry them. The rosy glow, like a sparkling red sun, gives no hint of the destruction that is but a few months away.

April 22, 8498 BC
Underground City – Delta

The surface entrance to U.C. Omega was submerged. We had to take the gravity tubes to U.C. Delta. We’ll have a few months above the surface before we have to take shelter from the comets. It’ll be nice to see the blue sky again before it’s turned an ashy red. Our two hundred mile ride to the surface comes in the morning. For now, we sleep.

April 23, 8498 BC
Surface Operational Center – Delta

The temperature has fallen 20 degrees since we’ve been underground. There is a heavy mist as far as the eye can see. The red glare of the comets has brightened. Our own sun appears dimmer through the vaporous haze. A foreboding melancholy permeates the mood as we board the grav-lev to Tiamat, the nearest city.

The fog outside was mirrored in my mind. As we sliced through the clouds I could not find a thought that would slice through my own.

July 4, 8498 BC
Surface Settlement – Tiamat

The comets are seven days away now. Everyone has been ordered to evacuate the surface. We take one last look at the makeshift lives we are leaving again.

The red cross of comets hangs in the sky mocking our futile dreams. The crimson glow pervading the mist is far from comforting. The darkness of the mood seems to weigh the night down. Time seems to stop as we float back to the entrance of our collective cavernous crypt. It may seem like hell. But we will survive.

July 10, 8498 BC
Underground City – Omega

The first impact was just felt from the celestial hailstorm. It was larger than we had expected. Nervous glances are exchanged. Sleep doesn’t appear to be an option right now. I’m going to take a walk by the underground river.

July 11, 8498 BC
Underground City – Omega

There have been six impacts felt in the last twelve hours. The resulting earthquakes have caused extensive damage to the city. Evacuations have commenced but only one gravity tube is still functional. The others have been blocked.

The seventh impact has just blocked the last gravity tube. The generators are failing and the lights are starting to dim. Fear and panic grab the heart in an iron grip. I just heard several loud cracks. Darkness now. Will we survive?

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Another wonderful entry into the contest. I'm not sure what i'm enjoying more, the reading of the stories or watching the contest grow as it is. Maybe someday WW will let me help with the judging, that would be the only thing that could make it better

Shadow, You are a gifted writer my friend and I am honored that you shared this story with us. It was a pleasurable read. Good luck in the contest.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Much obliged and thank you for the encouragement. I don't write too often but I do enjoy conveying imagery. I've enjoyed your stories as well. Hopefully, more people will join in. Looking forward to more stories to read.

Originally posted by mrwupy
Another wonderful entry into the contest. I'm not sure what i'm enjoying more, the reading of the stories or watching the contest grow as it is. Maybe someday WW will let me help with the judging, that would be the only thing that could make it better

Shadow, You are a gifted writer my friend and I am honored that you shared this story with us. It was a pleasurable read. Good luck in the contest.

Love and light,

Wupy

new topics

join