It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasons Why RATS Should be Free

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If the administration of ATS feel RATs is fine as it is, then its fine as it. We can discuss other ideas, but they have the final say. RATs will always be "pay per view" in my view.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

Originally posted by ulshadow
whats is in there that is so important?!?!?!?!?

The idea, I think, is to find out.

There are no reasons. It's a pay-per section because it allows for REALLY Abovetopsecret stuff to be posted, stuff you wouldn't want other people who aren't worthy to see with ease. It has it's purposes.

Like collecting a few points on aonline board makes somebody "worthy" And also if its REALLY top secret then how the hell can anybody in the world access it with enough "points"

Not saying its a bad idea, its a good idea where i suppose people who have been around longer and have a higher standing in the community can have discussions with themselves... It doesnt take many braincells to figure that out..

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I prefer RATS as a secret forum. It's not fool proof, but it's close enough for small but confidential stuff. Allow me to share a pair of examples.

Suppose that I worked for the CIA. Well it definately wouldn't be safe for me to spill the beans on who shot JFK if I knew it, not even in RATS. It's not that secure, especially if my own PC is being monitored.

But suppose that I was one of Wackenhut's ex military "security professionals" in Kosovo (read mercinary), and I had information about a war crime which could be investigated and "broken" through other channels without implicating me as a rat. Well RATS would be perfect for that, because I have access to smart people there who can look into my info without me having to worry about some other Wackenhut employee stumbling across it in Google while looking for a new job online.

The secret forum is good, and the fact that it is so scarcely used underscores the fact that it can be a serious tool. You scarcely use your fire extinguisher either.

The only thing I would want to change about RATS is that one of us (wouldn't have to be staff) should dream up some little security clearance icon that we could put into our avatars

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
well, im no more important than the next guy - but i was kinda dissapointed when the RATS fees were raised - and turned monthly. i mean, i kinda leech off of ATS for my own intellectual stimuli - and have never submitted any news to ATSNN. none of the threads i start make it past 2 pages. when i do contribute to a thread, id like to think my commentary fuels the discussion - but if i dont have anything to say, im not going to waste space or other readers time.

thus, i have an average of something like 0.3 posts a day - and i dont really rack up points.

but ive been checking up and posting atleast weekly going on 2 years here (wow im a nerd). and ive never used any of my ATS points. shouldnt that qualify me for RATS access?

lastly, in a coupla weeks when i finally acquire 5000 pts. im gonna read whatever grabs me in RATS - and then have to use another 2 years to gain access again. thats booty.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
If it were Free then GoogleBots and other bots could spider its way through it. And its there for the opposite reason, to keep bots OUT.

Not true.
Pilots 4 Truth also has a secret section, but it's free.
It's simply invisible to anyone who is not a member of P4T.

I'm not arguing about whether RATS should be free, btw.
Not my site; not my rules. That's ok.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Well, I recently joined. (see BTS points)
There are answers in that forum you wouldn't believe.
The GFL has posted, God often winks at creationists, and SO tells us what he really thinks about Sarah Palin.

The only suggestion I would make is to have some sort of designation on members' avatars like we do with "fighter/writer" if they belong to the R.A.T.S. forum. Sometimes we have conversations on other forums that RATS members could collaborate on in that forum, so it would be nice to know who's an existing member.

[edit on 10/22/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
But .. but ..

Rats ARE free. You can trap all you want, no limit or anything.

I know where there's a BUNCH you can have for free.....

Or you can buy 'em at the pet store for like, a buck. In today's economy doesn't that almost equate to free?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Heike, you're so funny.

RATS is kinda free. You post your opinion and get free points on a free site which you can't use for anything else. It's not like you can retire off of them. Use them to get into RATS (then come back and tell us points-poor folks what they said.)

I hardly ever start a thread. I just jump into an existing conversation to post. Not many points for that. Besides, I figure if it's really important, I'll hear about it anyway. Tinwiki is free and has plenty of good info on lots of subjects.

Be thankful.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

The only thing I would want to change about RATS is that one of us (wouldn't have to be staff) should dream up some little security clearance icon that we could put into our avatars

Good idea Vaga!

PS (to the OP)- I'm of the opposite view.... I think RATS membership should be raised to 10,000 pts!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Well, I recently joined. (see BTS points)
There are answers in that forum you wouldn't believe.
The GFL has posted, God often winks at creationists, and SO tells us what he really thinks about Sarah Palin.

The only suggestion I would make is to have some sort of designation on members' avatars like we do with "fighter/writer" if they belong to the R.A.T.S. forum. Sometimes we have conversations on other forums that RATS members could collaborate on in that forum, so it would be nice to know who's an existing member.

[edit on 10/22/2008 by schrodingers dog]

I think what we need is a RATS ritual, secret handshake and password.

That way we can know each other in the dark as well as in the light.

OK sorry. Bad masonic pun.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

that's made of pure win

I lost one of my threads to RATS,I nearly joined,but I didn't have enough points at the time. It was annoying,seeing at the top of the page cos it'd been flagged,but I couldn't read it. que sera.

May pop in one rainy day to see what all the fuss is about.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
What is that fighter/writer about anyway? Have I missed something important?

*feels a little left out*

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

They are pretty much like 'vanity plates'.

Sign up for the debate forum and when you get your ass handed to you the first time (like me) you get the 'fighter' title.

'Writer' I believe is someone who has penned an article for the site.

You can get a ton of points by following 'abovetopsecret.com' on twitter, or for writing an article in TinWiki.

Aside from crazy text colors RATS is the only place you can use points so they are useless otherwise.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

PS you can spend your BTS points too and then get a negative score like me!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Is there a limit to how much you can go "overdrawn" ?

What's the repayment plan like?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I paid my access fee back when it was 3500 flat. I find the monthly fee bogus! Also, over 20k points disappeared from my account when I became inactive. I would love if someone pointed me in the direction of an explanation for this.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Is there a limit to how much you can go "overdrawn" ?

What's the repayment plan like?

It depends on how well you can make sheep sounds. I am told that SO can be generous with the points if it's realistic.

Or... just watch how quickly my points go down after this post and then do what I do.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
From RATS screenshot...

"I captured a gray and its in my wardrobe"
LMFAO!

[edit on 10/22/2008 by WishForWings]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

Since this is pertinent to the topic-at-hand...

Does anyone remember the 'frozen alien burrito' on Art Bell a few years(millenia) ago?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I am in the process of bringing an important thread to RATs, I want it to be in rats because I know that it will be taken more seriously than on the boards and a bit more private audience. It will be for members who have been here a bit longer and less apt to be made fun of or trolled.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join