It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chinese and Russian Diplomats Accused of Spying In Germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
According to a popular German news magazine, Chinese and Russion diplomats have been called in with accusations of spying. They have been threatened with expulsion from the country. The unnamed Chinese diplomat apparently tried to buy munitions secrets offered by a former employee of the Dynamit Nobel company. The report claims the intelligence services had bugged telephones to record conversations between the diplomat and the German, known as Hans.

www.dailytimes.com.pk
It said the case, indicating that German intelligence had bugged the Chinese embassy, could tarnish relations between Berlin and Beijing. Der Spiegel, for its part, said that the Russian consul in the port city of Hamburg, Alexander Kuzmin, had been recalled after being caught buying military secrets from a former member of the army intelligence service for around 10,000 euros (13,000 dollars). Kuzmin, identified as belonging to Russian military intelligence, was recalled after a visit to Moscow by the head of Germany’s domestic intelligence service, Heinz Fromm, in order to avoid a diplomatic scandal, Der Spiegel said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Chinese and Russian teaming up against Germany? Surely if these spys turn out to actually be spys sent in, I wonder what they’re real purpose to their visits are. Accusations of the Chinese embassy being bugged, I’m sure that’s going to cause an uproar.

Related News Links:
www.dailytimes.com.pk

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I wonder if this will offer any further incentive for Germany to not renew arms sales to China? Probably not...

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This really doesn't surprise me at all. Everyone spies on everyone. Allies even spy on allies. I remember reading that the biggest and most flagrant spying in the United States is actually committed by none other than France.

The only thing interesting about this story is that they were actually caught, because I'm sure this goes on so much without anyone ever catching wind of it.

As for renewing arms sales to China, I think Germany's economy is too lousy for them not to. They're battling rising unemployment and the big problem of the Eastern section of the country never really catching up with the West after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I agree that this is not very unusual. Also, I don't think the fact that these two diplomats were caught about the same time means the two nations are working together. China and Russia are both still more than a little bitter about everything that caused the Sino-Soviet split, they're much more likely to be working against eachother.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
LOL, i call it even.

Germany: How dare you spy on us!!!

China: WTF, how do you know??

Germany: .....

Germany: ..... Anyway, about those maglev trains ...

new topics

top topics

join