It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Fun WIth ATS URLs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Recently I decided I wanted to go back and read some of my posts after I just joined ATS and see how much of an idiot I was back then, as opposed to how much of an idiot I am now. You may want to as well. But if, like me, you have deleted those early threads from your subscription list, then how do you find them?

Going to the members section and using the "Search for all posts by this member" is fine for recent threads, but the only way to skip back through into the past is by repeatedly hitting the [Next 20] button. If you have a few thousand posts (and a slow connection), getting back to your earliest posts will be an epic adventure in cyber boredom. But there's an easy way to skip through faster.

1. When the first search for all posts result comes up, the tail of the url will look something like this:
...misc.php?action=nsearch&srchuname=wecomeinpeace&searchsubmit=a&srchfid=all&srchfrom=0

2. Hit the [Next 20] button and the url tail will change to something like this:
...misc.php?action=nsearch&page=2&srchtxt=&srchuname=wecomeinpeace&...(etc, etc)

3. Notice the page number 2 in there. Simply replace that number with a higher number and hit enter to jump to a later page.

I have about 900 posts so the page showing my very first posts was 48. You can figure yours out through trial and error. A good way to estimate is to divide your total post count by 20 and use that number +/- a few, since each page displays 20 posts.

If anyone knows of an easier way, please let me know.

Have fun.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Going to the members section and using the "Search for all posts by this member"

How are you doing this? Are you using the search, or looking in the members section? In the search, when I try putting my name in as member, leaving other fields blank, it returns nothing. If I put my name in the phrase field, I get some returns but not all. I do not see a "Search for all posts by this member" selection in either area.

[edit on 4/16/2005 by Hal9000]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

How are you doing this? Are you using the search, or looking in the members section?

Click the
button to go to the members section. (Do not use the
function, that is for searching through all threads for specific content.)

Type your username in the blank field at the bottom and hit "Display Results". Another page will come up showing your username (and maybe a couple of similar ones).

Click your username to be taken to your member profile screen. At the bottom you will see Search for all posts by this ATS member. This is a link. Click on the "Search for all posts" part and voila, your recent posts will be listed.

Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Heh, yeah, I've done this. A bunch of the mods a while back (before my time) all went and found their first posts.

Something like my fifth post was on a thread asking for ATSNN staff. Nuts I must have been.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Thanks!

That comes in quite handy on Sportztawk, too.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You know what would be nice is if each member had a link to a breakdown in their profile that loooked like the one SkepticOverlord had for post counts. That way we could see by bar graphs the date and popularity/unpopularity of each thread. Its tough to go back through all my threads and I only have about 350. I cant imagine the dauting task of someone with over 5000 posts.

Something like this for each person:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It'd be nice, data is always nice, but would anyone ever use it? I highly doubt it. What, exactly, would it show? There's a lot less available information as opposed to the entire board.

What's so hard if you've got 5,000 posts? The pages are numbered, you can go to any page you want, and if you want a specific thread there's good ol' search to help ya out.

If you must, there's always the list of all threads.
^
BIG DOWNLOAD (~7.5 MB)

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Its not hard to go through all my posts. It just takes a long time thats all. I just thought it would be a cool feature.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Well, here's pa ge 13 of all your threads. If you want to go through em all, just up the page number in the url. Divide your post count by 20, round up to a whole number, and that's the page number for first post.

[edit on 4/16/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I found Amorymeltzer's first post. And it's about BONERS! Tsk tsk...

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Boners

Skull and bones is an orginization determined to get its members into power. By whatever means. If they wanna do it by doing a bushian thing, fine. they wanna do it by doing a kerryian thing, fine. a huge number of presidents have been members, and being a member is not representative of ur views.

u just want power.

Here's another, a few posts in. Very interesting...

Wow. This ATS board thingie is so cool! Do you think I could be a mod some day? I'd be willing to pay cash up front...or I can wire funds to your accounts. Hello...?

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Or if you wanna be really technical and your smart enough. You can search from however long ago you want. Just search for how many seconds ago you think the post was. And itll return all posts since then. Since Unix time is based on the number of seconds from the Unix Epoch, so when you enter say 14400 (4 hours) into the &srchfrom variable the board will take that number and subtract it from time() (the current Unix time) and then query for any posts that have a greater dateline than that. If &srchfrom is set to 0 the board searches for all posts.

This will show my posts from the last 4 hours.

For reference, a day is 86400. So just do 86400(N) for however many days you wanna go back.

Also, you can search within forums by setting &srchfid to the FID of the forum, which can be found in the URL.

Heres all my posts in General Chat.

Also, you can narrow it down MORE by entering some text to search for. Use &srchtxt in the URL with the text you wanna search for and youll get the results.

Heres all the times iv said crap:

Using all three of these you can narrow it down by tons.

Here is all the times iv said Crap in the last year in General Chat:

NOTE: You will have to change the page number manually by adding &page=X to change pages properly.

URLs not setup as links so you can see it easier.

[edit on 4-16-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Here's another, a few posts in. Very interesting...

Wow. This ATS board thingie is so cool! Do you think I could be a mod some day? I'd be willing to pay cash up front...or I can wire funds to your accounts. Hello...?

Very interesting, wecomeinpeace. Good find.
Now we know why...

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
VERY nice DLM, very nice. I had no idea we could do that.
Unix time hit an awesome number recently, a series of all ones. Very cool.

Why I oughtta!!! You're lucky you've got good emoticons there.

It was witty! *blush* And lord I typed poorly back then.

At any rate, apparently the money helped. Weee!
(I love the rolling guy)

[edit on 4/16/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

VERY nice DLM, very nice. I had no idea we could do that.
Unix time hit an awesome number recently, a series of all ones. Very cool.

Yes it did, i set my clock to Unix timestamp just to watch it roll over.

Iv updated my post with even more ways to narrow it down.

I got them by using one of my old XMB 1.8 Boards and taking a look at misc.php and see what variables were available for use.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Nice work DLM.

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Here is all the times iv said Crap in the last year in General Chat

Now THAT is useful information. The world will never be the same.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Nice work DLM.

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Here is all the times iv said Crap in the last year in General Chat

Now THAT is useful information. The world will never be the same.

Just be glad I didnt search for some other...ahem...choice...words that i know iv probaly said more.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Fantastic work.
I'm gonna go play with this me self!

I'm SO sending members here for search lessons.

new topics

top topics

join