It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

blinded by peer pressure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Recently I complained to a friend that I just don't get it why my Husband doesn't see the conspiracies that are all around him in plain sight! My friend then informed me that it isn't his fault and went on to illustrate. He told me how back when Columbus discovered the new world, the American natives had never seen a ship. The result was, except for their Shaman, they didn't see these ships either. It seems their collective consciousness had no memory or explanation of what they saw, therefore their minds didn't except it and they were blind to it.
This explains so much but also begs the question; what sets the nonconformist outside the collective consciousness allowing them to see truth?

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
The ~EGO~ plain and simple.

Some folks ego is so focused inward (it's ALL about them ya know) they do not even see the people next door who have no food.......
Let alone WORLD issues, or issues of ANY sort that do not pertain to the view of the world that they hold, with themselves at the center.

..................just sayin

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I think most of the time it's fear.
We are so completely conditioned to except and trust authority, that the thought of questioning what we are taught is downright scary.
Most ppl don't even want to go near that can of worms. They might actualy have to do something. They would have to admit their whole beliefe system is wrong. Most ppl don't like to admit they are wrong.

Then there's the fear of ridicule, which is stronger than the fear of being dragged off to the goolag (sp?).

It's especially difficult for men I think because there is such a narrow definition of what a man is supposed to be in Amerika. You step outside of those narrow definitions and you're treading very dangerously. I mean men are suspect if they don't like football...lol

What sets the nonconformist outside the collective consciousness allowing them to see truth is hard to say. There is probably a million different reasons. Most of it to do with your parents.

[edit on 16/4/2005 by ANOK]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
This explains so much but also begs the question; what sets the nonconformist outside the collective consciousness allowing them to see truth?

Just because you are outside the 'colective consciousness', why does it mean that you see the truth? If you recognize that others are blinded about some things, why do you think that you aren't equally blinded, although possibly about different things?

There are a lot of complexities to the world. Different people respond to the world in different ways. The ways different people respnd to the world can often corespond to different belief systems. Besides, many people have secrets, which influence their judgement, and their lives.

How are you to judge that you better understand the 'truth'? Cult followers of all stripes make similar proclamations. Doing so is often more elitist than useful.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Dollmonster says:

"Recently I complained to a friend that I just don't get it why my Husband doesn't see the conspiracies that are all around him in plain sight!"

I don't think you mean that you husband doesn't see something that you do; what I assume you mean is that your husband doesn't interpret what you both see the way you interpret it.

It's like "chem-trails", in a way. A person who believes that lingering contrails from aircraft are a part of a plot to spray everyone with some sort of Bad Juju sees exactly the same thing as someone who sees persistent contrails as persistent contrails which don't sublime because of temperature and humidity considerations.

The debunker and the chemazoid have two different explanations for the phenomenon, but you show them the same picture of the contrail and they'll both say: "Yep! That's what I saw, all right!"

"My friend then informed me that it isn't his fault and went on to illustrate. He told me how back when Columbus discovered the new world, the American natives had never seen a ship. The result was, except for their Shaman, they didn't see these ships either."

That sounds pretty bogus to me. While I admit there are cases of hysterical blindness, it'd probably be a lot less common than most people would like to believe. I'm sure some of the Indians didn't know what it was and perhaps thoght it was a floating island or a big sea-bird floating on the awater, but they probably saw something. Again, the difference beetween one observer and another is their interpretation of whatever it is they see.

Besides, I doubt that a shaman would have any more (or less) of an inherent visual cue acceptance and comprehension than anyone else would.

"This explains so much but also begs the question; what sets the nonconformist outside the collective consciousness allowing them to see truth?"

What you (and I assume you're considering yourself one of the 'non-comformists' ) see as 'truth' may be 'truth' in your eyes; but someone else would say you're coming up with a different explanation for what you see, and there's no indication that you're any more accurate in your assessment than anyone else, including your husband.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It was indicated on the stone tablets that the Hopis had that the first
sisters and brothers who would come back to them would come as turtles across
the land.
They would be human beings, but they would come as turtles. So when
the time came close, the Hopis were at a special village to welcome the
turtles that would come across the land.
They got up in the morning and looked out at
the sunrise. They looked out across the desert, and they saw the Spanish
conquistadores coming, covered in armor, like turtles across the land. So this
was them. So they went out to the Spanish man, and they extended their hand,
hoping for the handshake. But into the hand the Spanish man dropped a trinket.
And so word spread throughout North America that there was going to be a hard
time, that maybe some of the brothers and sisters had forgotten the sacredness
of all things and all the human beings were going to suffer for this on the
earth.
So tribes began to send people to the mountains to have visions to try to
figure out how they could survive. At that time there were 100,000 cities in the
Mississippi Valley alone, called the mound civilization: cities built on great
mounds. Those mounds are still there. They began to try to learn to live off the
land because they knew a hard time was going to come. They began to send people
to have visions to see how we could survive this time. They were told in the
prophecies that we should try to remind all the people that would come here of
the sacredness of all things. If we could do that, then there would be peace on
earth. But if we did not do that, if we had not come together as a human family,
the Great Spirit would grab the earth with His hand and shake it.
The elders on the west coast prophesied that they would then begin to build a
black ribbon. And on this black ribbon there would move a bug. And when you
begin to see this bug moving on the land, that was the sign for the First
Shaking of the Earth. The First Shaking of the Earth would be so violent that
this bug would be shaken off the earth into the air and it would begin to move
and fly in the air. And by the end of this shaking this bug will be in the air
around the world. Behind it would be a trail of dirt and eventually the whole
sky of the entire earth would become dirty from these trails of dirt.

Sorry about the text format..

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What makes the so called non conformist correct? The natives weren't wrong, in the columbus analogy, because of peer pressure and conformism, they were wrong because they didn't know enough about ship design and the world around them.

Any perception of people who accept 'bizzare truths as truth' as 'nonconformists' requires that they be doing so out of something like rational reasons, not out of a desire to not be a conformist. its especially ironic because that desire is so popular these days.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Technically truth was the wrong word to use here. After all, there is no truth only perspective.

Regarding the Native Americans, I didn't read the account myself but rather was informed by a well learned friend that this actually happened. I assumed the Shaman was more open to seeing the ships because they are usually thought to posses paranormal abilities are they not?

When I referred to my Husband being blind, I mean this both literally and figuratively. I see UFOs as well as other world entities such as ghosts. But when I point out anomalies in plain sight, he claims to see nothing.

When I tell him for instance, that fluoride is poison and explain why we were duped, He rejects the facts and continues to believe the wholsome version. More pointedly, my Husband voted for Bush and still thinks invading Iraq and Afghanistan was merely to free the oppressed.

Naturally everything the nonconformist believes isn't always true. But he is the first to stand up and yell, "the emperor has no clothes!" He paves the way for others to follow.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Problem is, Fluoride in water and toothpaste isn't a poison.

This is an interesting example, because its 'in the news' in teh scientific community. Apparently, a lot of people have picked up on some hysteria over realizeing that some compounds containing Fluorine are poisonous.

Its sort of like the controversy over Dihydrogen Monoxide. This is a chemical thats considered a Universal Solvent, it 'dilutes' anything and breaks it up into solution, powerfully. Its made entirely of highly explosive and poisonous constituents. An amazing number of people die each year upon comming into contact with it, but the media coverage is 'conviently' lacksadasical. You won't hear much about it, perhaps because so many companies use it to make nearly everything, styrofoam, plastics, a huge variety, and its cheap, so you don't hear about the problems......

www.dhmo.org...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This is another illustration of the power of the mind. The human mind has a built in defense mechanism that can actually block out the unexplainable or the unknown. In the case of these Native Americans, there was no precedence of a large sailing ship. Their minds simply could not handle this new information, and because of that they subconsciously refuse to see the ship, so therefore did not consciously see it. The same holds true for psychosomatic disease. A person can so strongly believe that they are ill that they can trick their own bodies into believing they are ill though they have no symptoms. Munchausen syndrome is a great example of psychosomatic disease affecting one to believe so strongly that their is something wrong that they will actually perform acts of mutililation or self posioning to prove people wrong.

new topics

top topics

join