It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tuition deal for illegal aliens?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Tuition deal provokes outcry

Some legislators pull their support for a bill that would give illegal immigrants in-state tuition at North Carolina universities and community colleges.

Bill supporters estimate that 500-1,300 illegal immigrants could apply each year under the proposal's guidelines.

Supporters say they'll keep pushing the initiative.

Opponents have focused on the argument that any seat that goes to an illegal immigrant is a seat taken away from a legal citizen.

to read the full story
link: www.newsobserver.com...
This article ask a legimate question:
Could this bill displace thousands of legal citizens from college and burden taxpayers?

This is so outrageous. I have to ask myself...Is there something else going on here? What are these people thinking?

Mod Edit: to fix link

[edit on 15-4-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
You know, this is amazing. It's hard enough for most legal, taxpaying citizens to manage to get to school. Why don't they take that money and distribute it among the North Carolinans (sp?) applying for financial aid? I know that everyone should have a right to go to school, but shouldn't we be taking care of our own first and foremost?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
You have entered the "twilight zone" where nothing makes sense. It is not your television set. It is your government.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
You have entered the "twilight zone" where nothing makes sense. It is not your television set. It is your government.

I think that was stated very nicely

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Could this bill displace thousands of legal citizens from college and burden taxpayers?

no. you have to WANT education. you cant just get one free, it takes real work. there were 29 people the first day of my 2 year degree program, 11 graduated. there were lots of kids in that pool that went 100% free, at least 5 quit that i can name off the top of my head.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
*takes a bow*

Thank you- I'm glad i made you laugh. Its the truth.
What a world we live in!

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Yea ....but some do want educations. Still trying to make sense of it.
Maybe it's money motivated...or political?????

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
You know, this is amazing. It's hard enough for most legal, taxpaying citizens to manage to get to school. Why don't they take that money and distribute it among the North Carolinans (sp?) applying for financial aid? I know that everyone should have a right to go to school, but shouldn't we be taking care of our own first and foremost?

i have to agree. why should illigal actions be rewarded? i know that a lot of legal residents could use money to go to school. if there was free tuition for all legal residents, then i could see considering such a thing if there was space and funding left over. so not only do they not want to stop the incursion of illigal immagrants, they want to encourage it with free education. cool would this also apply to illigal immigrants from canada as well? if so there are plenty here that need a collage education. guess they should just head on down eh.

but seriously why should it even be considered they came to the states ILLIGALY, this is as bad as prison inmates getting all sorts of degrees that inocent people can not afford to. i guess crime realy does pay. guess if you can't afford tuition you should go knock off your local 7-11. then while getting free room and board you can get an education too. why do people constantly want to encourage illigal activity this way? wouldn't it be better to pay for the education of people who do not commit crimes? this way we would be rewarding good behaviour not criminal behaviour.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think that should be a given--you have to truly want to go to school, and not just going there because it's socially acceptable or you want to make mom and dad happy. I've learned that much my own, the hard way. But at the same time, for those who do want to go to school, it can be a really difficult time to try and handle it. Financial aid doesn't always cover everything. In fact, from what I've seen more often than not it might cover most of your tuition. That's to say nothing of other supplies you might need, or trying to afford rent and food while you're going to school for enough hours to keep your grants. If there's that much surplus in the NC budget where they can offer financial aid to illegal immigrants, then they apparently need to spend it on the schools if not citizens--there must be some reason they aren't getting enough students.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
not necascarily. if they come here and do well in school there is no reason at all to keep them out of college. the limit on gov. loans for school is like 10 grand a year, you cant go to ANY school on that money but you can pay your tuition. bottom line is that NC is likely to retain these ppl after they graduate, they arent going back to a 3rd world country after they have an education here.

its prolly in the states best interest to do this as someone who has an education is worth more to a company than someone w/o. think about it. would you rather have joe good ole boy w/a southern drawl and an attitude workin for you or someone who was bred into utter poverty that came here and made it out of school with a 3.5

im not saying that everyone in NC is 'joe good ol boy', but i gaurentee that at least 1300 failed out of school last year due to non intelectual reasons last year. why not open the slot for someone who wants it?

im not even gonna debate the 'illegal' part, we stole this land mass to begin with...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

if they come here and do well in school there is no reason at all to keep them out of college.

Very good point. And also what you mentioned about those who bailed out on school. I think the money could be better spent, even if it is in trying to keep kids in high school, or trying to bring people back to school once they've tried their hand in the "real world."

we stole this land mass to begin with...

Oh yeah....forgot about that...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Jprophet420

I appreciate your opinion. I'm not illegal...I was born here and I personally didn't steal anyone's land. This is a much bigger issue. Illegal aliens are just that.... illegal. They are costing all americans in the form of higher taxes.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Want schooling? Get legal. Opportunities still abound for all who belong here legally. How dare you think you can cross the border without papers and avail yourselves of tuition for school?
What the heck is wrong with this picture, or am i daffy..

There is no debating this issue.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Double post. OOOps

[edit on 15-4-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
dgtempt

I agree! It wouldn't be so bad if they would get a temporary student card and paid their fair share of taxes.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
The bottom line is, why is our government rewarding those who are blatantly breaking the law? Why are these people being rewarded in so many ways instead of jailed or deported? Our government has not only stabbed the American citizens in the back but rammed it to the hilt. Illegals who simply give birth in this country are automatically eligible for social services. Illegals are stealing our jobs, lowering our standard of living, usurping our schools and generally wreaking havoc on American culture with their refusal to assimilate. The minutemen are just the beginning. If Uncle Sam doesn't put a cap on immigration numbers soon, I predict civil war within the next five years. Or will it be a revolution?

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
A similar thing is happening here in the UK with immigrants getting free housing, health care, education, even getting cars so they can find jobs, all from our taxes. It is annoying that our own native population are becoming second class citizens because the people in power don't want to offend the immigrants. They get priority on most benefits due to political correctness. The world has gone made. Too many do gooders if you ask me.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I would expect something like this from The People's Republic of California, but North Carolina ??? It's a proposal anyway, any legislator can propose anything they want and alot just copy and paste the same ridiculous bills year after year. The word "Illegal" means they should be deported under the law so why should they be paid for breaking our laws. MAybe this is one of those bait and switch schemes like when they tell a fugitive they won a free TV and when they show up to claim it they are arrested, they would show up to register for school and get deported, I could support that

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Very funny, dg!

im not even gonna debate the 'illegal' part, we stole this land mass to begin with...

And we transformed it from wilderness to the best country on earth. I don't recall what the immigration laws stated back then, do you?

Are there no colleges in Mexico, or wherever these ILLEGALS are from?
Let them attend school in their own country.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ms_Bhavn
Tuition deal provokes outcry

link: www.newsobserver.com...
This article ask a legimate question:

This is so outrageous. I have to ask myself...Is there something else going on here? What are these people thinking?

The bi-partisan, equal opportunity, fear mongering, race baiting hysteria that's taken over my home state in the past 10 years astounds me.

In part I can understand the origins because places like my hometown are almost exclusively hispanic now, and mostly "illegals." But the word almost makes no sense any more. It's legal for them to get a driver's license, live here, work, pay taxes, shop at Wal-Mart, go to public school, reopen failed main streets... but not get scholarships?

I mean if you want to deport them, deport them. What do I care? But if your economy relies on them (as every agricultural economy from California produce to North Carolina tobacco does) quit being racist hypocrites.

It's the same damn farmers that hire them for next to nothing an hour that won't stop complaining about them "gettin' benefits."

Well either don't hire them or pay them something they can live on you inbred jackass.

As for schoolin' and learnin' the immigrants, I get so sick of the local yokels complaining hispanics can't speak english and get special "head start" classes. What do you think the classes are for? Spanish?

And in a state that has (in my opinion) a public college system second to none where you can barely swing a dead cat without hitting a 20,000 plus student campus accepting anyone with a C average and a social security number, who frailing cares if they try to match high school graduation rates to University admissions? Nobody in NC is "displaced."

Appalachian State University circa 1993

Like 20,000 students, but you had to drive 2 hours to see a black person.
"Illegals" are graduating High School now people. They can go to college too. Didn't we have this conversation already in 1964?

So the great state of North Carolina wants to let 500 to 1,300 "illegals"
go to college a year across the vast network of colleges enrolling hundreds and hundreds of thousands of North Carolinians that want an education and as many Floridians as can get here to ski?

Let 'em. We'll make more schools. It's what we do.

It's why we're not Mississippi. (No offense to Mississippi, but I hear it blows.)

People come here for our schools, and industries come here for our people. Man, red logic is killing the south. STOP IT!

[edit on 16-4-2005 by RANT]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join