It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: South Korea Vetoes Long-standing US North Korean Operational Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
South Korea vetoed today Operational Plan 5029, the secret US operational plan to deal with the potential collapse of North Korea. South Korea cited concerns over loss of sovereignty in such a situation as being its primary factor in doing so.

www.defensenews.com
South Korea said April 15 it had vetoed a joint U.S. and South Korean combined forces plan for armed intervention in North Korea in the event of instability there.

The country’s National Security Council said it had ordered the classified plan to be scrapped because it could infringe on South Korean sovereignty.

Under a bilateral treaty, the South Korean military comes under U.S. command only in times of war.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sadly, due to the top secret nature of the US and South Korean plans involved, little can be said in the way of comparision between the new South Korean plan and the US one. I know that OP 5029 has been in effect for many years now, and am surprised that this story has not been reported more prominently. I wonder just how different in practice the two plans are- my guess is the US will not have to make many changes in the actual implementation of troops, refugee camps, and suchlike. HOWEVER- I think this display of spine by South Korea could have serious repurcussions for the other OPLANS the US currently has in reserve. What if the South Koreans insisted on similar treatment in the plans for a preemptive invasion against North Korea? Such a thing would be impossible now, given the differing political stances South Korea and the US have regarding North Korea. I've included two links with more information on the plans involved for more information on the topic.

-koji K.

Related News Links:
www.globalsecurity.org
www.globalsecurity.org

[edit on 15-4-2005 by koji_K]

[edit on 15-4-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
South Korea deserves its soveriegnty as much as any other nation. NK is communist yes, but that is their own business. The problem is national soveriegnty so long as it is not a threat to its citizens is the staple right of a nation. North Korea has abused the rights of their citizens for years and according to Jeffersonian principals should oust their leader. South Korea is free and should remain free. The US is a friend but that does not mean that they have to give the reigns to the US whenever they want. Power to the people.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
North Korea has abused the rights of their citizens for years and according to Jeffersonian principals should oust their leader.

So far, the people of North Korea haven't done it. They are more likely to defect or migrate out of North Korea than to confront and oust their own leadership. Something tells me that there are no Jeffersonian principles in North Korea and wondering if South Koreans would do nothing if the government of North Korea completely collapse in chaos?

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_oleneo
So far, the people of North Korea haven't done it. They are more likely to defect or migrate out of North Korea than to confront and oust their own leadership. Something tells me that there are no Jeffersonian principles in North Korea and wondering if South Koreans would do nothing if the government of North Korea completely collapse in chaos?

If NK collapses, and SK does the absorbing of the North, it's economy would be set back 20 years. China's economy in the north would be also be heavily impacted upon.

top topics

join