It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Toothpaste Causes Cancer?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Researchers, presumably in England, have identified that a key ingredient in toothpase and hand cleaners can cause cancer. The ingredient triclosan can combine with water to produce chloroform. It is thought that the chloroform is inhaled and absorbed and can build up over time yielding detrimental affects.

www.thisislondon.co.uk
Researchers have discovered that triclosan, a chemical in the products, can react with water to produce chloroform gas. If inhaled in large enough quantities, chloroform can cause depression, liver problems and, in some cases, cancer.

An Evening Standard investigation found dozens of products on supermarket shelves containing the chemical, from brand names including Colgate, Aquafresh, Dentyl and Sensodyne.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really don't know what to think of this yet. On the one hand, you can avoid brushing your teeth, and you'll stink and eventually lose them. Alternatively, you can brush your teeth and take the eventual risk of developing liver problems or cancer. It seems that after decades of usage of this chemical (based on EPA research dates in enclosed link) we would have seen much more cancer and liver problems than we have.

It is interesting that I have not found this news on American sites. I've included links to chemistry reviews of triclosan as well as an EPA history of toxicology research on the chemical. I've also included a link to an article about bacterial-resistance due to usage of triclosan.

[EDIT]: Edited to clear claims of bias. I really have no opinion on this as stated above. The links I included were of a scientific nature to provide background on the chemical being discussed. The EPA link clearly show an investigative effort into toxicity. That may very well be a common occurrence for widely-use chemicals. Thanks for the feedback nevertheless.

Related News Links:
antoine.frostburg.edu
www.epa.gov
www.healthcentral.com

[edit on 4/15/2005 by titian]

[edit on 4/15/2005 by titian]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
What next!

I'm not really happy with fluoride in toothpaste...and now this.
A safer alternative, IMHO, is using baking soda. It cleans them far better.
And, chewing gum, especially sugar-free and specifically gum sweetened with xylitol.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Next? I heard on the radio that now they discovered milk is bad for your brain. Seriously!

A nice mixture of salt and water chased by Listerine i guess would do the trick.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Next? I heard on the radio that now they discovered milk is bad for your brain. Seriously!

Dont think its not bad for you.

Its a shame its so good, and good for you, it does your bones good.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Last I read, we do not absorb calciuim from milk. Anyway it takes vitamin D to absorb calcium, and the vitamin D added to milk is not the correct form to digest either.These were the results of a study that I read on another forum. Basically, milk is for baby cows, not grown up people. Baby cows that are fed pasturised milk do not grow and eventually die.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Milk itself is fine to drink. It's the additives and hormones that are bad for you (just like in any other food). Nomadic peoples have been drinking their livestock's milk for centuries, and they aren't dying out. So if you're worried, drink milk without the checmicals. But, as I read a minute ago, "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater."

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I think the best toothpaste is Natural Care TOM"S of Maine. No triclosan , No fluoride. Now if you deside to try this toothpaste. Don't do what I did lol. Don't cover all of the bristles. You only need a small amount. Like the size of a small pearl. Rofl I looked like I was foaming at the mouth.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
of course, one might be as equally correct in saying that the clorine in the water causes cancer, wouldn't they? Since triclosan has to have the chlorine to combine with to form the chloroform. But, they won't tell you that one, will they?

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
i read with shock and horror the article above....if its true, then im gonna sue somebodys ass when im ill..

What are they gonna find next, wiping your butt with a certain brand of paper gives you cancer of the colon.....

And take care with deoderants too...i read in an article that all deoderants contain 20% agent orange....so your armpits should be foliage free in no time

[edit on 16-4-2005 by andy1972]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
True, true but like the guy says above about the cho. in water its that we need to take out but we couldn't do that because then we would get germs in the water system, I spose you could stop brushing your teeth or stop eating any sugars and hope they don't fall out, If your actually that bothered about someone saying "Oh, your breath stinks" I would tell 'em to keep their business to themselves or tell them why I don't brush my teeth. Interesting article nonetheless.

I curious about cats/dogs though, they're teeth are 90-95% healthy and they're teeth don't fall out or get rotten, WHY??? Because they don't eat sweets and pretend that it won't hurt them. If you want healthy teeth and wants to eat sweets and sugar then your in for a big shock. Everything comes at a price.

Its funny how they say that it builds up in the body, almost like the same effects of Floride.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
What's next? Don't eat or drink or you may get cancer. Take your chances with dehydration and starvation. How many times do they come out with "so and so may cause cancer"? We've been using toothpaste for how long? And now people are going nuts that it "may" not "does" cause cancer. Is it safe to do anything anymore without worrying that you may get cancer? I'll continue to brush my teeth and I'll put the toothpaste on my brush without worrying a bit about it just like every other time that they cry wolf.

For those worried about the Cl2 in the water. Go get your water from the creek bed but make surre you've got a good supply of that cancer causing toilet paper on hand. The Cl2 rids your water of disease causing organisms so I'll take the chlorinated water please.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Yes siree..everything has its price.

Hamburgers - mad cow disease

Alcohol - cirosis of the liver
Toothpaste - cancer
Water - flouride poisoning
Unlubricated condoms - Friction burns

Third world products - child labour

The Bush family bank account - countless lives

Si señor...theres no such thing as a free meal....unless of course you find half a finger in your chille suace...

[edit on 16-4-2005 by andy1972]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Andy- OMG, i met my match. Thanks for being crazy.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Me thinks since the original article mentioned they are (cough) working closely with (cough) Greenpeace and there is no actual sited source of this so called study; I want to chaulk it up to a greenie weenie scare tatic.

If the study was authentic why hasn't anyother news service picked up on the story? Hmmm again

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I knew there was a reason I stopped brushing my teeth years ago, I am cancer free and I haven't had a cold or the flu since I don't know when. Bathing's next.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Grover dude....i have something to confess, between you and me only..o.k., and dont you go telling anyone else...I havnt bathed, washed my hair, cleaned my teeth or wiped my butt in over 40 years

I knew all about this poison in toothpaste, water and everything else a long time ago....

Thats when i decided to go and live near BLUFF CREEK...

All that time without personal hygene and im a fine figure of a SASQUATCH...
Im nearly never ill and my 3 teeth are perfect...

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What? You havn't heard that using a pc can give you cancer? Time to give that up as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Everything causes cancers these days.
I heard even skin causes cancer, it called skin cancer

I am still going to brush my teeth tomorrow, I am not that skeptic... or am I??

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Great, Sudan-1 and now this.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Forgive my ignornace ultron 10 , but SUDAN-1 are they a pop group ???

Are they a pop group that give you cancer????
:

I´ve cleaned my teeth twice today and wiped my hairy butt once & i´ve still got my hair...but to be REALLY safe, im not gonna buy any record from this band....

I´ve got to say...there are and have been one or two groups (new kids on the block, back street boys..etc) that are worse than any illness...so that they give you cancer..i can well believe !!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join