It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars or Earth, this sure doesn't help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Knowingly or not NASA shot themselfs in the foot with this one. This shows how easy it is to fake these types of photos. Myself being a firm believer that the moon landing was a hoax, Mars could be just another step, I haven't made up my mind on Mars yet but this make you think twice.

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I think that because we haven't really found anything significant on mars yet people are now thinking that this is a hoax, i dont blame you, but the vehicles are there and they are doing a good job, mars is a huge place and i'm sure they will find something soon, patience is required

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
i actually could tell the difference. just like scaart said you need patience

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm not jumping out front claiming this is a hoax or this is the smoking gun. granted you can tell the difference in this photo. You have to admit though that with a little touch up, you could make the Earth version look exactly like the Mars version. I'm all about waiting to see if those little rovers find anything, in fact I hope they do that would be a great milestone for mannkind.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
They have more or less proven that liquid water existed on the surface of Mars. That's what they were sent to find out, and they did it. I'm not sure what else anyone expects.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This is true, and with Mars having ice caps, water is present on Mars in solid form anyway.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
[qoute]I'm all about waiting to see if those little rovers find anything, in fact I hope they do that would be a great milestone for mannkind.

They have found all kinds of things- evidence of past water, tornados, hematite, a meteroite, etc.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

If it turns out to be real I am gonna be pissed. I wanted to be the first man on mars

EDIT: Turned the image into a link because of its large size. No need to kill those with dialup.

[edit on 4/16/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

They have found all kinds of things- evidence of past water, tornados, hematite, a meteroite, etc.

Well like I said Mars has Ice caps so if its there now it was their in the past you can see that form an obervitory. Tornados, if Hubble can see storms on planets in the solor system further away than Mars, a rover tellin me Mars has tornados thats not a large find its a weather pattern.

EDIT: Fixed quotes.

[edit on 4/16/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I read APOD every day (duh) and it's fantastic.

This isn't stupid at all. It's just nice to see some of the similarities.

The rock shape, details, distribution are some hints, but the biggest giveaway was the horizon, and the color. Those gave it right away.

Do a search for some of the posts here on faking the colors on Mars, I think you'll be interested. The most successful one is on the most viewed page. (and right there)

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
the one on the right is mars...

am i right???

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Yes indeedy do you are. Although the link tells you that.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Yes indeedy do you are. Although the link tells you that.

it does!?!?!?

o0o well...

i didn't know...

i promise

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
it does!?!?!?

o0o well...

i didn't know...

That's what they all say. Right before they get sentenced.

*BAM*

I still say the difference is easy to notice.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
So what were you expecting? That the martians were having a rave right in front of Spirit's camera's. I say there's nothing out there but fossil life or maybe a mean influenza or so

And if the moon landing was hoaxed, I'd think that the KGB, who was into virtually everything those days would've had a field day. Boy, they'd let the whole world know that NASA was faking it and the USA would've been really embarassed. There's no way that the moon landing was faked without the soviets knowing it (they too could easily receive Apollo 11's signals back to earth, as did we receive Sputniks signal). Think about that.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I actually was in the vicinity of the border of Morocco (where the pic was taken) and Tunisia a few years ago, and I thought to myself gosh, this looks like Mars.

The only thing that these pictures are really showing is that erosion can work very similarly on different planets. And that's cool.

It's great that the probes established the prior existence of water on the red planet!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColdZero
Knowingly or not NASA shot themselfs in the foot with this one. This shows how easy it is to fake these types of photos.
antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Actually, there's some real and noticeable differences: the erosion patterns on the rocks, for one (different... look closely) and most noteably the haze. The sky color is different, too.

Our planet is covered with haze and it's getting worse with the passing years. There's a number of studies in national parks about this.

Your best bet is to educate yourself about different formations and all here on Earth. Yes, there's occasions when pictures can be taken to fool you. But a sequence of pictures (every 5-10 minutes over the course of a day or three) will show you what's from where.

new topics

top topics

join