It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. plans to defend Taiwan???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I was doing some research, trying to find any plans, particularly OPLANs that detailed a plan to defend or liberate Taiwan from Chinese invasion. I was rather surprised to see that the U.S. has no plans or even detailed information on their pact to defend Taiwan from Chinese aggression.

Does anybody have any further information on this?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
probably a proxywar.. you know, supplying them and such.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Well, there are 3 things that the US can do.

1. Defend Taiwan at all cost. Going aginist China over Taiwan might weaken our economy + risking a all out war with china, which is a bad idea. If there is no all out war with china, then it might do a major blow to china and it's economy, slowing down china from becoming a superpower.

2. Help them by supplying them, but Taiwan might not last that long either unless we sell them advance tech, however if china get their hands on those advance tech we might have a greater problem.

3. Do nothing. This might be the best choice if US want to strength it's ties with China. But however if US will defend OIL rich kuwait then US better defend the freedom loving people of Taiwan or people are going to view the US that all that time it is all about oil and the whole war in the middle east is about oil not freeing the iraqi people and making the place a better place in the world.

For me choice 1 would be the best. I doubt US and China will nuke each other and risking everything over Taiwan + a war with china, which might be a bit challenging will boom our economy, like what happen in WWII.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   

For me choice 1 would be the best. I doubt US and China will nuke each other and risking everything over Taiwan + a war with china, which might be a bit challenging will boom our economy, like what happen in WWII.

Wars are expensive with little econmic gain If I recall correctly taxs soared during WW2 to pay for the war effort.

One of the most important aspect of any Taiwan - China conflict is the role of the US allies will they allow the use of US bases for the war?

Without nukes I think the US and any allies that take part would face great diffculties in winning the war.

I base this point of view on the following,
Any form of landings on mainland China is out of the question.
Due to the sheer size of China American firepower couldnt be brought to bear across the entire front.
China is already devloping GM crops to reduce the need for food imports.
China still relys imports for Iron ore and other natuarl resouces which bring us to the logical option of a econmic blockade while not impossable given the sheer size of Chinas coast line it would require a large air/naval force.

Perhaps one overlooked fact is the fact that most computer parts are made in Tawian which means any China - US war could create a shortage of Computer parts.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Wars are expensive with little econmic gain If I recall correctly taxs soared during WW2 to pay for the war effort.

One of the most important aspect of any Taiwan - China conflict is the role of the US allies will they allow the use of US bases for the war?

Without nukes I think the US and any allies that take part would face great diffculties in winning the war.

I base this point of view on the following,
Any form of landings on mainland China is out of the question.
Due to the sheer size of China American firepower couldnt be brought to bear across the entire front.
China is already devloping GM crops to reduce the need for food imports.
China still relys imports for Iron ore and other natuarl resouces which bring us to the logical option of a econmic blockade while not impossable given the sheer size of Chinas coast line it would require a large air/naval force.

Perhaps one overlooked fact is the fact that most computer parts are made in Tawian which means any China - US war could create a shortage of Computer parts.

well, not risking a full scale war means not giving everything each side has. what i was saiding was that all US has to do is defend taiwan, invanding China mainland would be suicide for the US. destorying the PLAN would enough to stop China in it's tracks.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

well, not risking a full scale war means not giving everything each side has. what i was saiding was that all US has to do is defend taiwan, invanding China mainland would be suicide for the US. destorying the PLAN would enough to stop China in it's tracks.

That may be true but the result would be no better then Gulf war 1 a half baked political settlement that is in place till china has another crack Taiwan.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
That may be true but the result would be no better then Gulf war 1 a half baked political settlement that is in place till china has another crack Taiwan.

yea, i guess you are right, or... china could just wait out US, if US falls i can bet that china will try to get back taiwan in a second.

top topics

join