It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombies - Fact or Fiction

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Voodoo is as real as witchcraft, if you actually believe in such things, they might just happen. how many of you actually live in haiti and have seen real voodoo practices?
its a religion so respect it just as you would any other religion.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by TheUntoldStory]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheUntoldStory
its a religion so respect it just as you would any other religion.

why should i respect any religion? most of them have been so corrupted from their original teachings that you could hardly call it a religion (ie christianity, judaism, islam). anyway, yes i do believe some aspect of zombies exist as do a lot of other things we cannot explain. just because we can't see it does that mean it doesn't exist? we can't prove life after death, god, etc so if you think about it that way, why believe anything? why believe your current reality to be the truth when there is so much more out there? the universe is made up 99.9999% antimatter but we still don't know what that is yet, sweet. sorry if im ranting.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by biggie smalls]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
i personally believe in a form of the rage virus (a rabies for humans whichwould cause blind rage and the will to kill anything that moves, even those infected with it)

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I was a zombie in Jamaica for a while. A vodoo woman made me sniff a white powder. I lost my fear of death for a few days.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'll say the same thing i said in the god arguement.

There is more chance of zombies being real than there is zombies not being real.

How do you define 'real' if it hasn't happened yet, by the way.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The fact that we don't know much about what constitutes reality is enough evidence for me. We found a way to grow human organs in a lab, although not nearly perfected yet... so I'll bet there's some way that we just don't know about, or that is much supressed by the powers that be, to re-animate reacently deceased flesh. We just have to figure out what exactly is the driving energy force behind life... and I'm guessing we could find a way to manipulate this energy in a way as such to make non-living things become alive. Kind of like how we can make pretty much anything electrically charged.... that's just one form of energy. Electricity doesn't make something alive. It mayb be naturally present and used in living things, but that is not life force. We still don't have that piece of the puzzle yet. I and a few of my friends were actually just discussing a few days ago if zombies could actually be a reality, after playing that Zombies board game, and we came to the conclusion that one day, they could become fact. And there could be different forms of zombification, too. There could be an as yet unknown virus, possibly alien in origin, that could infect the population and (like someone mentioned rabies before) cause ultraviolent uncontrollable behaviour, causing someone to seem like a blood thirsty zombie, OR there could be some as yet undiscovered or hidden method of reanimating dead flesh, or animating non-living things in general. We just don't rightly know. As of now, there are no living dead type zombies, except for those who have been poisoned to make it appear as though they are zombies, or half dead...and there are of course, the brainwashed zombies I interact with every day.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throbber
I'll say the same thing i said in the god arguement.

There is more chance of zombies being real than there is zombies not being real.

How do you define 'real' if it hasn't happened yet, by the way.

Throbber said exactly what I said, although more efficiently.

We need to start admitting the fact that what we don't know vastly outweighs what we think we know, so much so that, in a few thousand years, all of our science today will be seen as stone age.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

Hey thanks, i should have noticed that and attributed some sort of indication in my post - just to be polite, that is.

Comparatively, what you say about the stone age is true, considering that 2000 (maybe as much as 4000, if you think about it) years ago people were already coasting along the shores of europe.

And we regard that as 'basic' technology.

Infact, most of what we know today about making materials is based off the discoveries made during the bronze age.

The stone age was far more advanced than most people seem to realise.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Zombies are linked with Voodoo I agree. It's ancient magic that can make people semi conscious. I believe the Hollywood image again as magnified it and made them flesh eaters.

Evil sorcerers called bokors bring their victims back to a zombie state of life. This life is not a full life but a weird half-life where the zombie is incapable of thinking for itself, and it has no prior knowledge as to who it was. The bokors take their victims to remote areas where they are put to work as slaves. The whole idea of zombies is so ingrained in the psyche of the locals, that even the poorest of peasants are willing to pay quite large amounts of money to have heavy slabs placed on the coffins of their loved ones. This is thought to deter the bokors.

An American biologist Wade Davis suspected that some mysterious substances were used in zombification and he set about to find them. He discovered two noteworthy constituents:

- Tetrodotoxin – obtained from puffer fish – an effective nerve poison, inducing deep paralysis.

- A fluid – secreted by the skin glands of the highly poisonous cane toad Bufo marinus – an effective hallucinogen and strong anaesthetic.

Other drugs such as ‘zombie cucumber’ Datura stramonium were thought to aid in the resuscitation and mind control of the victim.

It was also found that if persons that had been paralysed using the above drugs and left in their coffins too long, the effects of the mind controlling drug Datura stramonium were enhanced due to oxygen starvation, also adding to irreversible brain damage.

To say Voodoo doesn't exist is a bit narrow minded I have to say. Reminds me of people saying 'other highly intelligent life doesn't exist in an ever expanding universe.' The knowledge of ancient jungle tribes who have lost contact with the outside World is immense. Their spirituality is a lot more advanced than the dumbed down Western World.

Only yesterday I watched a documentary that showed for only the second time, a Westerner allowed in an ancient tribe located on a remote island somewhere on Earth. The tribe were advanced swimmers, capable of diving 12 meters under water so easily and hunting for fish without any sort of diving gear. They were apparently dropped into water at birth as their houses were built in the sea itself on stilts. Their whole life revolved around the water and were absolutely incredible swimmers. My point being, there's many tribes out there that have hardly, if any, contact with the outside world, so to say Voodoo doesn't exist and there's nobody capable of achieving advanced spirituality doesn't 'wash' with me I'm afraid. We know very little of this planet, and yet we want to 'touch down' on others!

The idea of a rotting corpse brought back to life possibly has more to do with the work of novels and movies. However the idea of zombies as drugged individuals, pronounced dead and then buried alive in a coffin awaiting complete brainwashing appears to hold more truth.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i do believe in ancient forbidden magicks but im not sure if i can start believing in voodoo zombies yet.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well, Throbber, thanks for correcting me. The stone age was far more advanced than we tend to think... but haha I think you are just being a little nit picky cuz I think you know what I meant. That made me laugh, though. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

correcting you?

No no, you've got it wrong - i was supporting your comment silly.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well personaly i think zombies do not exist, but i think they can be real. And i also think that there are no such thing as a voodoo zombie, you can call them that if you want, but the people are still alive not dead. If there ever is a zombie I think it would be because of a virus not voodoo.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
www.cracked.com...

Let's see if that works... I always figured a silicon based infection by some type of parasite or symbiote could cause a zombie like condition if the infection was incompatible with carbon based lifeforms, causing them to deteriorate.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Hmmmm zombies, i like 'em lol

cant remeber where i read this but apparently:
hundreds of years ago, there were apparently "zombies" (the undead) that wonderd around battle fields for hours maybe even days after the battle's have ended, this was because they had taken an extremely powerful blow to the head and insted of instantly killing them caused them to wonder around dazed and confued until they finally died, because of there slow ghoulish movements and making grunting sounds with no reaction to anything around them, people thought they were demons, watching over the dead and devoring anything that came across them.

i mean, it would be quite scary seeing something with no reaction at night on a battle filed wondering about aimlessly with massive gashs ect from the battle, seems to me that is a pretty decent way of thinking zombies were real.

I mean i'd be really freaked out =)

[edit on 13-12-2007 by XxXzombieXcoreXxX]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
A lot of people can't distinguish the difference between the 'zombies' of the film culture and the 'zombies' of the voodoo religion. First of all, we define zombies as the walking dead, (many times from the effect of some virus or biological problem) that feast on the flesh of humans in order to survive. This is more of a film created image of the zombie. There has been NO recorded evidence of anything of this nature happening in the world. Now, about the voodoo zombie. Many years ago, when scientists were investigating the voodoo religion, they witnessed a practice where they would find a person legally dead, but then later find out that they were alive. This was caused by a type of poison that would slow the heart down to such low frequency, only a machine could pick it up. Hopefully this clears things up. The zombies in voodoo religion are not decaying flesh eaters, they're just people who were thought to be dead, but were then found to be alive, living as normally as they have before. Btw, there was a comment made before about not respecting religion. To that person i say just deal with it. Religion helps many people in many ways, not everyone just has beliefs in a religion because of all the corruption. Nowadays there's corruption everywhere you look. Disrespecting religion is how wars start, so just deal with the fact that it's here and it really helps some people

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If you've ever read 'Romeo and Juliet', then you know how the actual accounts of zombies have happened. It's a chemical that slows down the heart rate so that it nearly stops. People have claimed that they've seen these people dead with no pulse one day then the next day they were walking around like magic. However, I think many people get this mixed with the Hollywood version of the zombie. We see zombies as flesh eating carcasses stumbling around everywhere. The version of zombies that have been recorded in real life are actually just normal human beings walking around. There might be a virus out there that can give us our Hollywood flesh eating zombie, but so far we have never encountered it.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthman4
I was a zombie in Jamaica for a while. A vodoo woman made me sniff a white powder. I lost my fear of death for a few days.

Yeah, that happened to my friend. A guy gave her this white powder to sniff, and she was like a zombie. Turned out it was coc aine...

[edit on 18-9-2008 by MissPestilence]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Going back to the whole belief thing. They say you only use what, 5 - 6 percent of your brain. So imagione how powerful the brain really is, it could achieve anything, even perhaps getting better by thinking it? Maybe thats what belief does, and maybe thats why herbologists work for some people and doctors for others, because they don't believe?

<< 1    3  4 >>

join