It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(news) Bush Against Tighter Border Rules?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
In a truly amazing twist of logic, our President is against using strict ID regulations for visitors crossing from Canada and Mexico. This is happening against the backdrop of unprecedented security buildup and Orwellian measures that include biometric passports for travelers from elsewhere (not Mexico and Canada), mandatory fingerprinting at airports and diverting airplanes (I'm sure you read it in the news) if a passanger's name simply happens to match one on the so called "no-fly list" (which at some point included Ted Kennedy).

www.cnn.com
The president said Thursday he was surprised by the proposed rules announced last week by the State and Homeland Security departments.

"When I first read that in the newspaper about the need to have passports, particularly today's crossings that take place, about a million for instance in the state of Texas, I said, 'What's going on here?"' Bush said when asked about the rules at a meeting of the American Society of Newspaper Editors.

"I thought there was a better way to expedite the legal flow of traffic and people," he said.

Bush, a former Texas governor, said he has ordered a review of the rules. "If people have to have a passport, it's going to disrupt the honest flow of traffic. I think there's some flexibility in the law, and that's what we're checking out right now," the president said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"A honest flow of traffic"??? What about an honest flow of terrorists??? I have to take off my shows every time I travel out of the US, and now somebody can freely come in, with shoes on and no passport? WTF?

I'm totally dismayed. The man never made much sense, but now he's arguing with his own Homeland Security department against -- against! -- a proper ID check on the border.

Is it hypocritical? Is this silly? Both? And what the hell is he talking about with this "flexibility of law"? I thought he was supposed to be "tough on terror", not "flexible on terror". Does anyone else feel betrayed?

[edit on 15-4-2005 by Aelita]

[edit on 15-4-2005 by Aelita]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think our dear president is realizing that you can't have your cake and make it subjugate your populace too...(one or the other)

the border situation is a problem... and the most noticable one...

an army could probably walk right across the bridge, as long as it wore street clothes. that isn't a leak, that is a failure of policy...

I know Shrub wants to help his buddies that hire illegals , but he might just have to give them some bad news... and we all might just have to pay more for our agricultural products.

If they get a green card, then they can come over, after being checked by airport type of security.
what is so hard to understand about that?

it would serve several purposes...
first it would require that less frequent trips back and forth were made,
so more time and money would be spent here in America, rather than over the border. this helps moderate the effect of losing jobs over the border.

it would also make Americans more likely to get hired for jobs that the illegals abandoned from not wanting to get listed with a green card.

also green card workers need to pay taxes... it is only fair...
it is our roads and our services that make over border employment possible.

if all these things were done, it would halt the storm of illegal labor replacing higher wage american jobs, it would give back some of the money going into mexico...
This is good overall...
If we continue to treat mexico as a charity case, then that is what they will feel like when they get here. If they get a green card, then they can be a proud card carrying transplants.
they should be able to walk the american streets without fear of immigration police, but to do that, they need to be registered.
Now why couldn't our president understand these simple measures?

Vote lazarus for Pres in 2008 ...

I have inhaled, but i didn't smoke...

[edit on 15-4-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Have to tell you that I voted Republican the first time... But it is my humble, perhaps unenlightened opinion, that Bush is a gangster, and a self centered crook. Still am a Republican I think, but not a Bush supporter. It might be better to move to Kansas City and become an athletic supporter. Probably would be better for my future ...

join