It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This snake didnt know what it was bargaining for.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You guys should definetly check this out. It seems pretty real, so i dont think its fake or anything.

Click here

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Oh, it's definitely real. I think it's venomous and not a constrictor, but not exactly sure which venemous one. Cool pictures!

Peace

[edit on 15-4-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The snake is not venomous it is a Amethystine Python and actually given the max size on that python i would say that the animal its eating is not a roo but most likely a Pademelon which i think they max out weight wise around 14lbs so this is really more of a perspective thing which distorts the size of both creatures. I will admit the Pademelon is a tad large for the python but ive seen other species ingest larger without problems as long as they maintain sufficent body temp for digestion.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The reason I thought it wasn't a constrictor is because it didn't look like a large enough constrictor to kill an animal of that size, but I'm certainly no herpetologist. I guess the proportions are what threw me off.

Peace

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Holy crap! It ate the whole thing like it was nothing.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Wow!

It always amazes me when I see things like this - nature is amazing. Things that you would think could never happen probably do. I imagine that if you had placed that snake next to the animal it is eating, most people would say it would be impossible for the snake to eat something so big.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I am definitely staying away from snakes from now on, and I'm not even tall!

Definitely a roo though!

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Amazing!

Dr. Minniescar, I have a question:

Can the snake digest part of the Pademelon while the legs are dangling out, or would that cause him to suffocate before he were able to get it all eaten?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
that is prety much how a snake eats it's dinner all right. cool aint it
. snakes always amaze me when i see them eat something. it just dosn't seem possible that they can streatch open that far.

ever watch a cat yawn? now they don't eat things whole. but when you consider the size of a med sized house cat and the fact that it can bite around your arm easily is equily astounding. my friends cat is a bit phyco
it always attacks when it gets happy (and yes it is purring we can tell by it's eyes when it will attack lol)), once it bit me and left tooth drag marks (scratches) that just about compleately encircled my mid forearm. its hard to believe that a cat can bite something that large. after all they have such tiny mouths. and remember the front claws only hold onto you its the rakeing of the rear claws that are the real damage dealers.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Snakes can be stubborn that way. I have a boa that insists on eating his rats back-end first, which never seems to look easy. Though I'll admit that little kangaroo-relative is something of an impressive feat, even for a really big snake!

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Snakes can be stubborn that way. I have a boa that insists on eating his rats back-end first, which never seems to look easy. Though I'll admit that little kangaroo-relative is something of an impressive feat, even for a really big snake!

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Sorry for the double post. I'm still getting the hang of this computer and also this forum.

Faked or not, the picture really does show what is a fairly impressive feat for any animal. Snakes are crazy.

I think salamanders can be worse though. I used to breed rarer kinds. That's a serious task when you consider that they're constantly gender-swapping, randomly mutating and occassionally cannibalistic...

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Wouldn't the ability for a snake to eat something that huge whole be maladaptive in the survival sense? For example, after it just consumed Kangroo, it is wide open to any predator that would like to have a '2 for 1 special'.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
In general I'd think it'd be a bad trait, however, snakes have no hands to manipulate food with, and no real ability to rip up peices of food. Reptiles, pretty much universally, can't chew food at all (some types of browsing dinos have some werid adaptations that provide a similar functioning).

So in their evolutionary context, it ended up being adaptive to be able to do that. But surely a number of pythons and whatnot have been killed while in that state. Everything has benefits and tradeoffs.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There was a picture on rotten a few years back of a anaconda tied up in the back of a pick-up (took up the whole bed) with a baby calf inside it. It was really something to see becasue you can easilly make out the outline of the calf inside the the snake. I wasn't sure if it was real, but I'm sure a anancando could probably fit a calf in, any body remember this pic?

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I've actually always wondered that myself. If they throw down a rare meal that immobilizes them for a few days/weeks, they're completely vulnerable. I'd imagine they would go and hide, but it seems really hard to do in their new state, and isn't fool proof at all. So, I looked it up.

www.szgdocent.org...

Apparently, they like to spend time in hot places to speed up the process, and if necessary, they can regurgitate.

TC: Snakes can protrude the air tunnel to the edge of the mouth, which allows them to breathe when the mouth is full. (Also from the link.)

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
holy @#!% the whole friggen thing

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
The snake in the photo appears to be eating what some call a kangaroo rat. It is not much bigger than a pet hamster and certainly no bigger than a rabbit. Take a close look at the photo, notice the small leaves on the ground and the bits of grass and twigs.... They should give you an idea of scale.

Spot on! Also look at the tail (hairless) and the legs -- most definately NOT a kangaroo.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by Terapin
The snake in the photo appears to be eating what some call a kangaroo rat. It is not much bigger than a pet hamster and certainly no bigger than a rabbit. Take a close look at the photo, notice the small leaves on the ground and the bits of grass and twigs.... They should give you an idea of scale.

Spot on! Also look at the tail (hairless) and the legs -- most definately NOT a kangaroo.

I knew something was off in this pic....It definetly isnt a kangaroo.

Regardless of the size of the animal, its all relative. Look at the size of the prey compared to the snake. Kangaroo or not, this is simply stunning and very intriguing.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Well I just lost my appetite, anybody want some egg rolls?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join