It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: News Fraud Stopped

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Looks like the Senate jumped on this one right away. The FCC is going to put the word out to properly label these 'VNRs' (Video News Releases) for what they are, taxpayer funded political statements.

www.freepress.net

From U.S. Senate, April 14, 2005

Editor’s note: On April 14, the Senate voted 98-0 to approve an amendment to a supplemental spending bill introduced by Sen. Robert C. Byrd (D-W.V.) that would prevent any federal agency from using taxpayer dollars to produce or distribute prepackaged news stories which do not clearly identify that the so-called news was created by a federal agency or funded with taxpayer dollars.

The amendment states:

“Unless otherwise authorized by existing law, none of the funds provided in this act or any other act may be used by a federal agency to produce any prepackaged news story unless the story includes a clear notification within the text or audio of the prepackaged news story that the prepackaged news story was prepared or funded by that federal agency.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The government can be responsive to the will of the people. Rationally stated and carefully targeted dissent is an important part of the process. Our politicians will not take action unless we force accountability on them. Now what I'd like to see is the nature of taxpayer funded 'VNRs' restricted to matters of vital national importance so we don't use a ton of money on funding political statements.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Stop News Fraud

[edit on 15-4-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
So, what does VNR stand for? The source article is a little biased... Good to see this blatant propaganda shot down by the senate, but I won't exactly give them a "pat on the back" just because they took the obviously correct stance on this issue.

Zip

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The source article is a little biased...

True. Here's some more sources.

Fox News
Kron TV
Associated Press
ABC News
USA Today
Associated Press

Don't know why this article (not mine, btw) hasn't been upgraded yet. An important issue. Note to the author: Next time maybe provide more sources and expand your intro a little and you will receive less no votes. Otherwise, great story. I voted yes.

[edit: HA! Exhumed, resuscitated, and upgraded! Icarus, old chap, you owe me a beer.
]

[edit on 2005/4/16 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
They voted correctly on this one. 'How did that happen'?

Its called truth in advertising.

top topics

join