It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royals test new kit!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It seems that the future's looking better for the squadiie in the MOD...

Guns that fire round corners and a manpack RADAR that can see through walls? "Nonsense!" I hear you cry in unison. This was my opinion too until I deployed on URBEX, where I saw the future…..

A Rifle Company of The Kings' Own Royal Border Regiment was testing the urban ops kit, including the crazy round the corner pistol, new collapsible ladders, handheld TI and simunition. It is all run by QinetiQ, a civvie organisation full of scientists who have replaced clipboards with handheld computers. Imagine their surprise when some lads from Air Defence Tp turned up to operate millions of pounds worth of new kit!

Reported Capt D Hasted RM, OC Y Tp

New kit

This looks good for our lads in the MOD!
Hope it gets issued to the local squadie, good thing is that its already been tested by Israeli forces, so no dodgy projects!

What do you lot think?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Wow, that's some pretty cool stuff. Who are the 'royal border" guys?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

This explains it all....
www.army.mod.uk...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What is so amazing about a gun with a hinge and a digi camera on the end?? Dont get me wrong its a good idea but its not really outstanding esp if those rifles are sa80's

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
What is so amazing about a gun with a hinge and a digi camera on the end?? Dont get me wrong its a good idea but its not really outstanding esp if those rifles are sa80's

Yeah but when was the last time the general squaddie got a cool toy?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Yeah but when was the last time the general squaddie got a cool toy?

the invention of the firearm I believe

Seriously, its good to see that our troops are getting some new equipment

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Heh...

Erm folks, you just don't realize how useful these items are, in a Urban enviroment every single hole in the wall or crack in the wall is a potentual hole for a "Have a Go" Sniper, walking down a street you are scanning your arch and every one elses while you are processeding on down, scanning the windows, the doors, the drains, having a mild stroke every time you come up to a alley or cross road, if you come back from a patrol and you aren't sweating you where down tin town.

These "toys" will stop our lads from getting their heads blown off as they try and peek round corners, for street to street fighting... I don't know, the time needed to set it up may not be worth it, although I can't be sure of the set up time, but i stand to be corrected. But for fighting house to house it will save lifes. As for the Radar system, woow just waiting for X-Ray Specs to check under ::coughs:: clothles

I wonder if you could hook this radar up to a warrior and then a Goal keeper style system to shoot down RPGs?

- Phil

Oh, it isn't an SA80,

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

They patrol the borders of England, to keep the crazy Scots and Welsh out. j/k

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Kool, I especially like that X-ray thingy that looks through walls.

West Point, Out.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
These are groups set up to deal with Border Reavers and whatnot no? Originally anyways right?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

They patrol the borders of England, to keep the crazy Scots and Welsh out. j/k

no one else
unless people try to swim through the channel into the uk

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
no one else
unless people try to swim through the channel into the uk

Like anyone can keep us scotsback....

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Soldier 2000, is what was supposed to be (by now) standard issue to British Armed Forces.

Basically, it comprised (from the head) a ballistic helmet (in service) with a 'heads up' display (not in service) which was linked to a helmet mounted camera/gps/sighting system (not in service).

This helmet mounted camera gave the wearer (displaid on the heads up) a six figure grid reference, compass bearing to next rv or fire posn, sight graticle superimposed on a target together with the range. (Not issued as helmet kit is far too heavy and camera has too many faults)

This information was sent to the inf wpn system via a computer link (from the helmet). The weapon then 'chose' the correct ammunition to be used: 5.56mm Ball/Tracer or 40mm Grenade or a 25mm rocket. The computer selected target(s) ammunition type and number of rounds to be fired. The original configuration for the weapon was supposedly 5.56 and 25mm rocket side x side with the 40 mil gren launcher below. (not issued as being too expensive and unreliable - DERA evaluation)

The rucksack or bergen was to have twin 25/35mm SAMs mounted on each side of the frame. This was to be linked to the helmet camera/sight. (not developed because of lack of research funding)

Clothing was to have been completely weatherproof with defensive NBC capabilities. (again not issued and not being researched because of cost)

The current weapon system currently undergoing development and further research by DERA, is nothing more than an update of the German MP40 and Gw44 for firing used on tanks in a swivel ball mount.

I have a good friend who works for DERA and will ask him for updates.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong but i'm not impressed with these "toys"
I mean the soldiers are cryin out for reliability... And i can't imagine that this equipment is reliable in urban evironments ( if deployed with the army in Irak for example) with all the dust out there...

top topics

join