It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiraspol - Moldova - Mafia in Uniform

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Since OSCE haven't responded so far, perhaps these latest news would be an awakening for them, or at least make an inquiry for new proof?

RIA Novosti: Transdnestr denies Moldova's arms trade allegations

28. October 2005

In response to a statement made earlier by Moldova's Prime Minister Vasily Tarleyev that weapons from Russian arsenals in the region are being sold to Chechen militants, Vitaly Ignatyev, spokesman for the republic's foreign ministry, said Moldova has accused the republic of participation in illegal arms trade throughout its 15 years of existence.

"During that entire time, Moldovan authorities failed to present concrete evidence to the global community showing that weapons from Transdnestr had been used in 'hot spots' around the world," he said.

He also said Transdnestrian authorities have been trying since 2002 to invite international experts to monitor defense industry enterprises in the republic.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Did you say "proof", Ulvetann? Check this out. The Moldovian President claim he can prove Tiraspol sold weapons to Iraq. I bet those weapons were delivered by none other than Viktor Bout (also spelled Victor Bout). And one of his planes were in Baghdad just a few days ago (Flight BIS6371. Running on US DOD fuel)...

Moldova Azi: Moldova Can Prove Tiraspol Sold Weapons to Iraq – Vladimir Voronin

October 31 2005

In an interview for Russian journalists Voronin said: “Russia’s control over this territory is obvious and we must call to account those who do not desire to solve this conflict”.

Vladimir Voronin added Moldova can prove Tiraspol sold weapons to Iraq. The document from Hussein’s archive that can confirm this is being studied by the Moldovan authorities now, he said.

Vladimir Voronin regrets Mr. Putin has not yet paid a visit to Moldova. “We presume the information reaches the person to which it is addressed in a distorted way, it being modified by those structures that have interest in the existence of this “Klondike” in Transdniestria,” the President told.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It would be interesting to have an statement from the US ambassador William Hill, head honcho of the OSCE office Eastern Europe, regarding OSCEs 'quietness'. What part has William Hill in this? what is his reason in delaying the progress in these countries? Who's telling him to stand down, instead of initiating new talks? Why is he in charge? He must be influential?! He surely knows this geographical area as if it is his own backpocket. He has earlier been very active in Voice of America, A statefunded organization, being a true propaghandi, working his way up more or less quietly. Anyone have any more info about this guys activities?

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I want to put a face behind the name of this very important person.
(photo 2005) (OSCE/Victor Munteanu)

Related link, to the Biography of William Hill:
OSCE.ORG

Latest press release from OSCE, regarding the situation in Transdniestra, is that William Hill has urged the Transdniestrian authorities to return a confiscated school building to a Moldovan school in Ribnita.
The press release is dated to the 26. of September 2005.

During the height of the school crisis in summer 2004, Transdniestrian militia stormed the Evrica lyceum and evicted the pupils, teachers and parents from their premises. Since October 2004 the school has been forced to operate 'in exile', renting the premises of a kindergarten from a local factory.

William Hill furthermore stated, that:

"The local authorities in Ribnita have de facto stolen this building. They must give the building back to the school without any further delay and without any conditions".

Related newslink:
OSCE.org/Moldova

On the counterpart:
Russian Foreign Minister Defends Military Presence In Moldova.

Sergei Lavrov (file photo)
(Official Site) (Radio Free Europe)

8 November 2005 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov today said Russia's military presence in Moldova's separatist province of Transdniester is essential to the region's stability.

Lavrov also said that the 1500 deployed russian soldiers were helping to keep the region peaceful.
After talks with his Romanian counterpart Mihai Razvan Ungureanu, Lavrov stated, the Russian forces are "honestly" fulfilling their peacekeeping mandate.

Related newslink:
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty

Personal note:
I find it appaling that governments are able to dig themselves so deep into the political mud, because of the profit of illegal trade amongst other issues in this geographically far away, but still, very tense hotspot.
I guess this area is a victim of bureaucracy and personal prestige, not only poverty and corruption. Not to mention, using this area as a vent for covert activities/terrorism and other tabus, stated in earlier postings, first and foremost by Hellmutt!

Moldova is being used, and they know it. -And 'nobody' listens.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Transnistrian power station cuts off supplies to Moldova (about 47% of Moldova's electricity needs). Moldova is now using reserve supplies...

RIA Novosti: Transdnestrian power station cuts off supplies to Moldova

09/ 11/ 2005

A major fuel-run power station in Transdnestr, a self-proclaimed republic in Moldova, cut off power supplies to the right-bank parts of Moldova Wednesday.

The station meets 46% to 47% of Moldova's total electricity needs.

Moldova is now using reserve supplies.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
As of 10th. of November, Interfax has released news originating from the Russian Foreign Ministry's second departement, director Vyacheslav Kovalenko. In this press-release, Interfax quote Kovalenko;

"We are very interested in the withdrawal of the remaining property, but that can be done only with progress in the Transdniestria settlement negotiations".

"An improvement in relations between Chisinau and Tiraspol will help with the withdrawal of the remaining military property".

This is indeed VERY contradictive to the statements of Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov earlier this week, covered in my previous post.

Related newslink:
Interfax
Are these people talking to each other at all? Or are they finally talking?! Oh, no, wait, it's all about bad politics, riiight. I almost did believe an solution was at end with this statement! -Not.
I would soon be liable to state that Russias REAL problem in handling this issue is that the Chain-of-Command regarding the 'Russian peacekeeping force' don't takes orders from the President of Russia anymore. And that is why Russia must state that they are needed in the area, otherwise they would loose their (political) face. I believe the russian bear has too much pride in accepting another loss.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulvetann

Russias REAL problem in handling this issue is that the Chain-of-Command regarding the 'Russian peacekeeping force' don't takes orders from the President of Russia anymore.

I wonder if you´re right and this could be the case. If so, they might have to eventually remove these troops and arms by force. This just in today:

RIA Novosti: Transdnestr must become autonomous part of united Moldova - OSCE

11/ 11/ 2005

The Moldovan Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration said Friday the goal of recent OSCE talks on Transdnestr, a self-declared republic in Moldova, was to "assign autonomy status to the Transdnestr region as a territorial subdivision of a united Moldova."

The Moldovan delegation at the OSCE session in Vienna "again confirmed Moldova's firm position on the need to remove Russian troops and arms from the country's territory, called on the OSCE to pass resolutions to this effect, and called on Russia to swiftly resume the process of removing troops in accordance with the decisions reached at the OSCE summit in Istanbul," the ministry said.

EU monitoring of the Moldovan-Ukrainian border, including the Transdnestrian section, will substantially help the settlement process, the ministry said.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Tiraspol has opened its own mint! Moldova do not recognise the Transnistrian coin.

Moldova.org: Tiraspol opens own mint

21 November 2005

The Tiraspol authorities opened an own mint on November 18, which assimilated the entire cycle of making of Transnistrian coins that have been made in other states until now. "The opening of the mint represents one more step forward independence of our state," Transnistrian leader Igor Smirnov was quoted as saying by Tiraspol’s mouthpiece Olvia-Press.

The Chisinau authorities do not recognise the Transnistrian coin. According to the central bank of the self-proclaimed Transnistrian republic, an U.S. dollar is equal with 8.1 Transnistrian roubles, while a Moldova leu is equal with 0.6 roubles.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Refugees from Transnistria have sent complaints against Moldova and Russia to the ECHR (European Court of Human Rights). Moldova for not providing houses and Russia for their military, economic and political support to Tiraspol. Some of the refugees will also send complaints to Strasbourg.

Moldova.org: Transdniestrian refugees petition against Moldova and Russia

22 November 2005

A group of refugees from Transdniestria submitted petitions against Moldova and Russia at the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

Anatolii Bazgu, chairman of the Association of Internally Displaced People in Moldova, told Monday a press conference that over 50 members of the association have already submitted petitions to ECHR accusing the Moldovan authorities of non-fulfillment of the governmental decision “regarding the plan of action for the provision of internally displaced people with houses” and of the court’s ruling concerning the same matter. According to the refugees, the Russian authorities are to blame for the fact that “it provides military, economic and political support for the separatist Transdniestrian regime

The quoted source specified that another 14 members of the association are getting up petitions that will be sent to Strasbourg.

"complaints"... "petitions"... you get the idea...

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Because of the latest developments with Romania allowing US to build at least one permanent military base on Romania soil, Russia may purge the CFE treaty!

Xinhua: Moscow to purge the CFE treaty

2005-12-08

A historic arms control agreement could be purged by Moscow if NATO members continue to drag their feet on ratifying the deal, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanovsaid on Wednesday. The Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE) Treaty was signed in Paris in 1990 between NATO and Warsaw Treaty Organization in a bid to promote peace and security across Europe and the world. But Ivanov said: "If the treaty is not ratified by other signatories, Moscow will raise the issue if whether or not this mechanism ... is needed at all."

To date, only four countries -- Russia, Belarus, the Ukraine and Kazakhstan -- have signed the agreement, while most NATO countries have refused to ratify it amid allegations that Russia has failed to meet commitment on withdrawing its military presence from Georgia and Moldova.

Ivanov, who is also deputy prime minister of Russia, told the Itar-Tass news agency, "The issue of the CFE Treaty's fate is being raised in connection with the expansion of NATO and US infrastructures to Russian borders. Everybody has signed it, but just four states have ratified the document, including Russia."

Soj: Fall-out from Romania's Base Deal

I wrote a full-length piece on the CFE and it's importance back in June, which you can find here. In short, the CFE is one of the least glamorous but most important treaties for world security. While many people focus on chemical or nuclear weapons, the CFE deals with conventional weaponry likes tanks and helicopters. And despite the "showbiz" quality of nerve agents etc., it's tanks and helicopters which have killed millions of people in Europe's bloody past.

While the treaty has been signed by a number of western countries, it has not been ratified, which means it is not actually in effect, although many countries have acted more or less like it is.

If there's one thing the European continent does not need, it's for Russia and her allies to feel threatened by a build-up of conventional forces.

Click the link for the complete post by Soj.

How many people have so far been killed by nuclear/chemical weapons vs. conventional weapons? Conventional weapons are the biggest threat against world peace.

Related Links:
CFE : Conventional Forces in Europe Treaty

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Some people don´t like investigations and exposure. They are threatening witnesses and journalists who investigate connections between some companies and "gun dealers like Victor Bout and Al Qaeda". People get threatened to hide the truth and not talk to media. Journalists are being told: "You’ll be in troubles if you investigate this case!"

Moldova.org: Investigative journalists in Moldova threatened

For some weeks, Ziarul de Garda (The Guard Newspaper), an independent media from Moldova published a few investigations on some shady firms runed by some Moldovans which try to monopolize the banking system, as well as insurance and aviation fields. Those firms were accused by international experts that they are involved in selling guns, drugs, money laundry from illegal international transactions. After some international investigations there appeared connections between this firms and the greatest gun dealers from the world, as Victor Bout and al Qaeda. Those things are known for Moldovan and foreign media, as well as for Moldovan officials, but reactions are coming now are very strange.

For a few weeks there a many calls to our newsroom related to these cases. People who were suffering from activities of this firms are calling us to say more details and to request more investigative articles. The same time, there are anonymous and “friendly” voices who advice us to give up. “It is true what you write, but it will be better if you leave the topic”, „You’ll be in troubles if to investigate this case,” “Your newspaper will never get where you think,” “We know that a colleague of you is going abroad. And we know the rout,” – the tide of calls is growing and voices become stronger.

The same time, less and less people agree that their opinion on those cases may be published. Many of them declare that they were told that will be punished if their declaration will appear in media. “They asked from me to sell my shares and I will, even if I don’t want, but don’t write because I have children and they threatened me,” told us one of the shareholders in a prosperous firm of Moldova.

People in Moldova are more and more threatened not to complain to media and to hide the truth.

Journalistic investigations in Moldova become a very dangerous activity.

We ask all media organizations to keep an eye on what is happening with investigative journalists in Moldova, because we are not shore they may be protected now from criminal attacks.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Imho, I think Transdniestria is trying really hard, to change their true 'face', into a more tactically and 'respectable' face outwards to the public media.
Perhaps due to an general increased interest in the Tiraspol issue?

Has the Transdniesters truly realized that they are being observed?
Do they realize, that they need more of the similarity of that of a modern country, i.e. mint, flag, stamp, and 'free elections'?

It seems so...

They are at least up for an election, whereas they need 25% of the votees to show up, to validate the vote. -And they have the certainty that it will be met!

RFE/RL's Romania-Moldova Service correspondent Vitalie Condratchi said in Moldova's capital Chisinau this afternoon that, "The elections will [likely] be legitimate according to their election laws because the turnout was 23 percent of eligible voters at 12 o'clock noon. In order for the elections to be valid [under the local electoral laws], they need turnout of at least 25 percent."

The international community has declined to recognize the election and therefore did not send observers to the region's 278 polling stations.

I guess my question is, since the observers were absent; How likely are the result true to democracy?

Related link:
Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty
ITAR-TASS

Edited in another link (ITAR-TASS)

[edit on 11-12-2005 by Ulvetann]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
hmmm. conflicting reports regarding international observers monitoring the election. BBC say no one (including Russia) is sending any monitors at all. RIA Novosti say "everyone" is sending observers to monitor this election.

BBC: Trans-Dniester pins hopes on vote

The vote is unlikely to lead to any serious political change, but the separatists who run Trans-Dniester hope it will help to end its isolation.

Moldova - and the world - do not recognise elections that are held in Trans-Dniester. The vote is being shunned by official observers. Representatives of foreign governments including Russia, as well as large international organisations, are not sending monitors.

Much of the media is controlled by the authorities and there little freedom of speech in this breakaway state. The European Union's foreign policy chief earlier highlighted the absence of the conditions needed for a free and fair election.

RIA Novosti: Self-proclaimed republic in Moldova holds parliamentary elections

More than 150 international observers from Russia, Ukraine, Moldova and other countries, along with more than 100 foreign journalists, are monitoring the elections.

Seems like they made the 25% limit. However, I doubt the election will be recognised by the rest of the world as a valid election if they didn´t monitor it. And after all, Trans-Dniester isn´t recognised as an independent country either so... This "election" is worthless I guess...

RIA Novosti: Voter turnout exceeds 37.8% in Moldovan self-proclaimed republic

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
There are many unclear statements, indeed!

I have observed comments, that OSCE don't accept the election. Other statements that only 23% voted, still the election was accepted. Some places it is stated that EU has got their own observers. 100'eds of journalists have supposedly observed the elections, whereof only a minority can report of errors regarding the election, etc. etc.

What is very interesting, is that pro-russian media very often says the opposite things of 'western' media! (Transdniestr-statements, i.e.)

My guess is that, history is being formed and bent, as we read/speak of this area. I don't think there will be more peace in that region, if Transdniestr 'win' their own independence!

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Moldovan press says Ukraine has declared the elections as illegitimate. They also say observers from Ukraine, Russia and Poland observed the elections.

Moldova Azi: Ukraine Describes Elections in Tiraspol Supreme Soviet as Illegitimate

December 13 2005

Ukraine has declared the elections in the supreme soviet in Tiraspol that took place in Moldova’s e astern breakaway enclave of Transnistria on December 11 as illegitimate. The spokesman for the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry, Vasili Filipchyuk, delivered such a statement in Kiev on Tuesday, Info-Prim Neo cites Ukrainian press reports.

„We do not recognise these elections as legal. WE regard the creation and deployment of an international mission under OSCE aegis to Tiraspol to evaluate the situation there as the most important,” Filipchyuk said.

Lawmakers of the Ukrainian Supreme Rada, deputies of the Russian State Duma, and legislators of Poland have observed the unconstitutional scrutiny in the Transnistrian region.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Andrei Stratan, the Moldovan Deputy Premier, Minister of Foreign Affairs and European Integration.

He stated today, the 14. of december, that Russia is a threat to the OSCE international image.

Stratan expressed regret that the Ljubljana forum failed to adopt final document and a declaration on Moldova. “At the same time, I believe it is useless to strive for sterile and in fact formal documents for the only sake of proving the presence of a consensus in the OSCE on essential issues”, the minister said.

In his words, in Ljubljana the Moldovan delegation was ready to negotiations on some issues, “but there exist certain principles, such as the observance of Moldova’s sovereignty and territorial integrity that cannot be a subject of negotiations. At the same time, there can be no doubt that Transnistria has to be provided with a special legal status within the Republic of Moldova”.

He thinks that democratization and demilitarization of the left Dniester bank is an indispensable condition for solving the Transnistria problem, and that “the current Tiraspol regime is not able to ensure genuine democratization of the region. On the contrary, the regime uses intimidation methods to keep the population in awe”.

Related link:
Moldova.org Politicom

I could be quoting the whole article, but I think it is wiser that the interested people click the link to the source.

I believe, that what we see, is actually the pre-election stalemate, continuing to be a post-election stalemate, whereas the election itself has now become another 'issue' on top of the issue itself, democratizing and civilize, and not to forget, to have Transdniestrian illegalities stopped.
If anyone need a reminder of what Transdniestra and Tiraspol stand for, it is trade of arms, drugs, humans and I am sure the list could be even more detailed, but it shouldn't even be nessecary to repeat it.

“Chisinau had repeatedly stated that the Dniester theme actually remains the only problematic one in our relations with Russia,” Stratan noted. In his opinion, “Russia should withdraw its troops from the region in order to get the Dniester problem finally settled”.

“Some contradictions in politics and diplomacy should remain on the agenda of diplomatic discussions and should not tell on the economic, cultural and personal relations between our two countries,” Stratan believes. “Moldova’s sovereignty and territorial integrity cannot be the subject of any negotiations,” he stressed, adding that “the Dniester Region should be doubtlessly given a special legal status within the bounds of Moldova”.

Related link:
News From Russia

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
If I were able to express my opinions about Transdniestra, I would surely start of the whole rant with something like; "This must surely be THE most, utterly, stereotypical example of very bad political work in progress?"

Here is yet an example of what is going on behind the backs of public media...

The EU has revoked the visa restrictions for eight Tiraspol officials, which it considered responsible for the closure of Romanian language schools located in the Transdniestrian region.

Let me get this straight? EU(!) are letting 'terrorists' go from non-grata persons, to be able to travel freely(?) in Europe?!?
And why is this happening, I hope You ask!?

(...) the British EU Presidency seeks from the Transdniestrian administration to reestablish the status of the Rabnita school and to create all the conditions for it to function. (...)

STFU! They Brits has, imho, made a horse-trade with these people! They have not even been assured that they actually WILL, and i quote;

(...)seeks (...)

Whenever did the The Government of Great Britain, and to add onto this, THE EU(!) approve to do a horse-trade with terrorists. Questionmark!
-Why don't they start to give them alcohol, weapons and glass-beads? Oh, I forgot, they already have that!
Thankfully, the US has lifted none of the travel restrictions imposed on the 27 Tiraspol officials.

Related Link:
Moldova.org
Moldova.org

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Ho, ho, ho.
Up towards christmas holiday weekend, the parts finally found together in a merry meeting, contemplating how to live peacefully together. STOP! if I continue writing like this, The Disney Company will most likely sue my merry 'hind off for plagiarism of a movie. -Or something.

Participants of Tirapol, Chisinau, Russia, Ukraine, the OSCE and the United States gathered, and the meeting lasted to midnight friday the 16th.

The representative of the European Union left the talks earlier because he had some important meetings.

In a nutshell, the meeting were NOT a success.
Again the parts are bargaining , ending up in a continued deadlock with little, or no progress at all.

Again, I must take the liberty of describing what I read, as something that resemble nothing, but a feudal society. Where what is supposed to be the cooperative enactment of a global community and it's complex organizations, aren't even able to give the farmers their right, to do their own land. I thought the meaning of overnational entities as UN, NATO and OSCE where there to put pressure/convince/remove supressors?
Of course it makes the whole issue a bit more tricky, when both USA and Russia is involved in this. Both countries has got semi-professional (obviously) politicians playing poker in a cold war context.

Anyway, what they got out of this meeting was:

Farmers from the Chisinau-controlled villages on the left bank of the Dniester river will be able to harvest their crop in exchange for a tax of 0.18 percent of agricultural production transported on the other side of the Ribnita-Tiraspol highway.

Ooooh. Awesome d00dz! U got qwnd!

Also, the sides decided to replace the alleged Transnistrian customs stations with militia and police stations.

Intriguing. May I ask what is the difference? Does this mean that the transdniestiran custom personell, exchange the colours of their socks? That they can wear a helmet instead of a top-hat?

Another issue that challenged disputes at negotiation envisaged the organisation of democratic elections in the Transnistrian region. Finally, the sides decided to institute an "evaluation mission" to asses this situation.

Didn't I say it, didn't I? Well, didn't I?(In a previous post).

Asked to comment on reaction of Transnistrians to the idea of an evaluation mission, Hill said that "it would be an exaggeration to say that the sides accepted the conduct of some free and democratic elections in the Transnistrian region. Negotiations were very difficult. Tiraspol accepted some positions, but it gave up later some points that we already regarded as coordinated. We were so late from this reason. I hope that concrete steps forward settlement of the problem would be taken in future, including in connection with tensions in the Dubasari district. The situation was and is difficult. The outcome could be much better," Hill added.

*Yawn* Does this not just sound like a politician? Couldn't he just say "No comments". It sure takes less time!

Related link:
Moldova.org

Aaand what happened the next week?...

OSCE and the meeting held, obviously *BEEEP* someone off!

Gheorghe Susarenco, lawmaker of the Christian Democratic People’s Party (PPCD), demanded the government on Thursday, December 22, to declare William Hill, head of the OSCE Mission to Moldova as persona non grata and to expel him from country.

Honestly, this whole Tiraspol-thread is, imo, more hilarious than a soapy opera on TV!
Susarenco tilted over W. Hills 'attitude' towards the negotiations.
My guess is that Susarenco see the whole OSCE & Co. as a bitter herb in their beeker of contempt and corruption.

He also:

(...)asked Premier Vasile Tarlev to sack Reintegration Minister Vasile Sova for "being incompetent and for not speaking one of the three official languages of the Moldovan Transnistrian republic."

I wish politicians would dress up in superhero tricots, bodystockings and capes! I would pay to see them have a go at each other!
Gheorghe Susarenco,
man of bad temper.

For the full context of this lawmakers temper-fit, please read the following related link.

Representative for OSCE!
Photo borrowed from Ballonkings.com

Related link:
Moldova.org

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hey Ulvetann, your superhero is wearing orange. Any relation to the orange revolution?

A Romanian newspaper (Averea) writes about the "Smirnov clan" and say they´ve made themselves a huge fortune. The average monthly salary is some 35 dollars and no social security system exist. They also mention that the Smirnov´s built a mega-complex estimated to 500 million dollars.

Moldova Azi: Smirnovs “leashed” Entire Transnistrian Region, a Romanian Newspaper Claims

January 5 2006

The family of the separatist leader of the so-called Transnistrian republic, Igor Smirnov, has practically got under control this region, with family members seizing almost all economy sectors, and the political class is subdued 100%, Romanian newspaper Averea claims.

One of the two sons of Tiraspol’s leader has under his personal and exclusive control the customs, the other has control over the Sheriff group, monopolising the range of luxury markets and fuel stations in across the enclave.

Tiraspol separatist leaders and their families had been accused by the Moldovan and international media, and also by politicians, of dubious businesses and money laundering. Transnistria is considered by many persons as “Europe’s black hole”, where the regime is kept by drug-dealers, human and arms traffickers.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Happy New year, Hellmutt! Hope you had a fine time back in the old country!

Hm, I am not too updated on the whole Smirnov-thing. I guess You will manage to come up with more related stuff somewhat later!

For You, though, I have a rather mind-boggling scrap-note from RIA Novosti!

Brace yourself!
The latest news is, that "The Union of retired officers and petty officers" proposed the creation of the Public Collegiate (Chamber) in the self-proclaimed republic of Transdnestr in Moldova!!

Yep, You are reading correctly. The fired, disgruntled, corrupted, criminal feudalists are trying, by the handbook in "Medieval ruling for dummies", to create a House of Pensioned Terrorists!

All in thread with their dubious plan, to legalize/legitimize themselves, to make it harder for conventional politics to 'remove' them from the face of this planet.

Related link:
RIA Novosti

"We have sent our proposal to Transdnestr President, Igor Smirnov," Sergei Zaitchenko said. "If our initiative is approved, we will be ready to submit a draft charter of the Public Collegiate."

According to Zaitchenko, the chamber will monitor the activities of power bodies at all levels, conduct public revision of draft laws and prepare policy recommendations for various state bodies.

Note:
Sergei Zaitchenko is the Chairman of the before mentioned union. No available photo's found, nor any more juicy information. Yet.

Since this proposal has to be approved by The Transdniestian President, Igor Smirnov, how about a small guess on the outcome of his decision, eyh?
"All opposing? One hand in the air!" [insert sound of AK-47]

Igor Smirnov, President:
2001 Presidential election poster.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join