It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiraspol - Moldova - Mafia in Uniform

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone is following this thread anymore. Anyway, I just wanted to say this. What I can see in my cards don't look good at all
. I can see the US declaring Kosovo's independence after December 10. I can see Russia using this as an excuse to declare Transnistria's independence. The CFE moratorium is set for December 13. I don't like what I'm seeing at the moment. Caucasus, Bessarabia and Balkans going 'Boooom!' ...and the chainreaction that will follow. Now it's calm before the storm...

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm reposting these maps from Tiraspol here, for those interested. They're too hard to find now, hidden away on page 6...

Map 1 - 2441x2553 - 1881Kb

Map 2 - 2459x2563 - 1861Kb

From one of the maps

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Tiraspol Bus Bombing

reply to post by Hellmutt

Two brothers have been found guilty of the bus bombing. They were sentenced to nine and ten years in prison.

Pravda: Two brothers indicted for planned bus explosion in Moldova

10/25/2007

A court found two brothers guilty of making an improvised bomb which exploded on a small bus last year in province of Trans-Dniester, killing eight and injuring 46.

The men, identified as Aleksandr and Sergey Varbasevici, were sentenced Wednesday by a court in the province's capital, Tiraspol, to nine and 10 years in prison, respectively.

Prosecutors claimed during the trial that the two made the bomb and sold it to a woman, Elena Litvinenko, who was transporting it on the bus when it exploded on July 6, 2006. She died in the explosion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The name of the woman who was carrying the bomb on the bus was Litvinenko!

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The CFE is dead. Moldova is concerned about Russian troops not leaving Moldova (Transnistria).

Kyiv Post: Moldova concerned about Russia's decision to suspend European arms control treaty

Nov 09 2007

Russia's pulling out of a key European arms control treaty could jeopardize Moldovan efforts to have some 1,500 Russian troops withdrawn from its territory, Moldova's foreign minister said Friday

Related Threads:
Russia suspends arms treaty -- The World War III Wheels are in Motion. (by SimiusDei)
Russia Has Suspended The CFE (by Hellmutt)

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Good job on keeping the updates. Little attention is paid anymore to these European enclaves that are frozen in time. All of the focus is on Middle East Wars, and no one remembers Belarus, Transdniester, Abkhazia, or Nagorno Karabakh anymore. I do not envy Moldova right now, because frankly no one gives much sh*t about their problems, not even EU. Russia is just playing its cards, and Moldova is powerless regardless of what alliences they make.

You can bet that Kosovo will open the Pandora's Box everyone has been waiting for. A new nation for former minorities carved from the country to which the land historically belongs by the international community. Genocide in Kosovo was the motive for this some say.... well genocides can be created. First you renew a frozen conflict, then you start a war - and then you take a bunch of dead bodies, dress them as civilians and bury them in the field - and you got yourself proof of genocide.

Kosovo will set a precedent for anyone and everyone who wants to be independent. Who the hell needs an independent Kosovo anyway - besides Albanians? What will UN/NATO stand to gain from it. I say leave it as is. Conflicts like Transdniester better stay frozen, because Moldova stands no chance of winning a war, and it looks like no one will help it.

[edit on 11-11-2007 by maloy]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Mafia-linked groups

President of Moldova, Voronin, said Tuesday that a Transnistria resolution should not follow a Kosovo pattern. He said mafia-linked groups have seized Transnistria, and Russia holds the key to its destiny.

RIA Novosti: Transdnestr resolution must not follow 'Kosovo pattern' - Moldova

18/ 12/ 2007

"We are speaking of mafia-linked groups which have seized Transdnestr and turned it into a separatist territory - a status it has maintained for 16 years," Voronin said.

Voronin also said that though any Transdnestr settlement was linked to the conflict of interests between Russia, the United States, and Europe, Russia ultimately held the key to the destiny of the breakaway region.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Finnish Foreign Minister Mr. Kanerva is travelling to Moldova and Tiraspol with an agenda to restart the independecy negotiations of the Transnistria. "There are new hopes of normalizing the relations in the region." Says Mr. Kanerva. Kanerva is currently acting chairman of the OSCE.

YLE - In Finnish

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Russia Ready To Replace Smirnov?

Russia might replace Smirnov in Tiraspol! Russia has apparently decided to help re-unite Moldova. While Smirnov still wants independence for Transnistria, is "stubborn as ever", and refuse to speak with Chisinau. A Russian delegation will visit Tiraspol in early February.

Kommersant: Russia’s Got a Substitute for Transdniestria Leader

Jan. 28, 2008

Moldova’s breakaway region of Transdniestria said last week only the recognition of its independence will foil the West’s plans to create “sanitary arc” around Russia and will bring stability to the volatile area. This did not come as good news for Moscow which has decided to help re-unite Moldova. Kommersant sources said that a Russia delegation is to visit Transdniestria’s capital of Tiraspol in early February to try to persuade local authorities to make amends with Moldova’s federal officials. In case the Transdniestrian leader, Igor Smirnov, is stubborn as ever, Russia has already got someone to replace him with – the parliament’s speaker Evgeny Shevchuk.

[---]

Kommersant sources close to Russian-Moldovan talks reported that Mr. Voronin won Moscow’s support in the Transdniestrian settlement. The only thing left to take the issue out of the stalemate is to get Transdniestria’s persistent President Igor Smirnov back to talks. The republic’s leader wants no rapprochement with Chisinau.

I wonder what will happen if Kosovo declares independence...

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The question is how much influence does Russia have over Smirnov. Maybe it's not that much at all. After all Smirnov is and always kind of a rogue.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
$1 Billion

Russia's next President is Medvedev, Gazprom's chairman. Gazprom owns 50% of RosUkrEnergo. RosUkrEnergo and Mogilevich (remember the "gas war"?). RosUkrEnergo apparently owes Gazprom more than $1 billion. Moscow is angry at Smirnov because of some missing $1 Billion. Coincidence? Is this the same $1 Billion or is it another $1 Billion? Smirnov is out in the cold. Mogilevich is apparently out in the cold as well, as he got arrested last week. 1$ Billion here, $1 Billion there. Two powerful men who used to be backed by Moscow, have now obviously lost support from Moscow.

Kyiv Post: Why Russia arrested Mogilevich

Jan 31 2008

Any suspicions of links to organized crime could sink Gazprom’s NYSE bid, which would be seen as not only a financial blow to the gas monopoly, but a major setback for Russia and Gazprom’s chairman, Dmitry Medvedev, who was slated to be elected president of Russia in March.

Housecleaning in RUE began with the removal of Palchykov as co-director of RUE. Then it was discovered that RUE owed Gazprom more than $1 billion

Russia’s Got a Substitute for Transdniestria Leader

Moscow still wants to know what happened to $1 billion that Transdniestrian authorities collected from people for Russian gas but did not pay it to Russia.

But of course, it's all just a coincidence...

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Lebed Monument

Transnistrian town, Tighina (Bender), will install a monument in memory of Aleksander Lebed.

The authorities of a Transnistrian town will install a monument in the memory of the Russian general Aleksandr Lebed

Lebed’'s monument will be installed in a square, at the entrance of Tighina from the part of Tiraspol town.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Dniestr River

Tiraspol polluting the Dniestr river causes emergency in Odessa, Ukraine.

Emergency! Sewage Runoffs to Reach Odessa!

Unrecognized Transdniester Republic has thrown sewage runoffs to the Dniester River; a dirty spot is moving to Odessa now.

Workers are working hard on the sewage disposal plants of Ukraine to prevent drinking water from infection, “Deutsche Welle” reports. According to experts’ forecasts, spot a few kilometers in length will reach Odessa today.

The polluted water of the Nistru River reaches Odessa

12 February 2008

The water of the Nistru River, considerably pollutted at the end of the last week in Tiraspol, will reach Odessa region on Tuesday, DECA-press Agency informs.
The Ukrainian authorities are preparing to face the situation.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Now that Kosovo got independent, Transnistria wants independence too...

Transdnestr wants independence

Feb. 20, 2008

Transdnestr, a breakaway region of eastern Europe's Moldova, released a statement Tuesday arguing it, too, wants to be independent.

The state's foreign minister said Transdnestr has the same right to self-determination as Kosovo, which just declared itself a free-standing nation separate from Serbia, the Russia news agency RIA Novosti reported.

Tiraspol is to install a memorial in honor of the "Transnistrian heroes who died in the war against the enemies from Chisinau"...

A memorial will be installed in Tiraspol in the honour of „Transnistrian heroes dead in the war with the ennemies from Chisinau”

20 February 2008

The representatives of the administration from Tiraspol consders that the construction of such a memorial will consolidate „the national feeling” of young men from the left bank of the Nistru River, which „who must not forget how the Transnistrian state was born”.

State? What state? I don't see any state. It's not recognised by any other country in the world. Not even by Russia...

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Thailand holds 'top arms dealer'

Viktor Bout - who has been dubbed the "merchant of death" - was picked up by police at a luxury hotel in Bangkok.

The Thai authorities acted on a warrant issued by the US, which accuses Mr Bout of supplying arms to Colombian rebels.

Well looks like Mr. Merchant of Death" is now in custody Hellmutt.

I'll have to keep an eye on this.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

This is great news!
I've "updated" the Viktor Bout thread...

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
That's the thread I was looking for Hellmutt but I couldn't remember the title. As I am familiar with this thread, I knew you'd see the news here.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Deal Between Russia And Moldova?

According to Voronin, Moldova will not join NATO if Russia accepts its sovereignity over Transnistria.

Kyiv Post: Moldova pledges not to join NATO if Russia accepts its sovereignty over Trans-Dniester

Mar 13 2008

Moldova's President said in remarks published Wednesday that a deal may be reached with Russia under which the Trans-Dniester region remains part of Moldova in return for Moldova's promise never to join NATO.

"Soon we will have a final solution to the Trans-Dniester conflict," President Vladimir Voronin was quoted as saying in the Russian daily Kommersant.

I'm not linking to Kommersant, because their site is apparently down now for some reason...

In addition, Moldova would take on Trans-Dniester's $1.5 billion debt to the Russian gas company, Gazprom.

Hmmm. Here it is mentioned again. Transnistria's gas debt to Gazprom. Coincidently, it's the same amount that Gazprom claimed from Ukraine in the recent gas dispute...

Wikipedia: Russia-Ukraine gas dispute

3 March 2008 Gazprom cut it's shipments to Ukraine by 25% (a day later with another 25%[75]), claiming that the US$1.5 billion debt still wasn't paid, Ukraine officials said it had been paid

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Igor Smirnov and Vladimir Voronin to meet

Moldovan President Vladimir Voronin and Igor Smirnov will meet for the first time in seven years. Something's up...

ITAR-TASS: Moldova president, Dniester region leader to meet

Moldovan President Vladimir Voronin and leader of the breakaway Dniester region Igor Smirnov have agreed to meet to discuss confidence-building measures between Chisinau and Tiraspol.

Maybe Voronin will tell Smirnov that he's fired?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Smirnov and Voronin Met Today

Smirnov and Voronin met today, and Smirnov wasn't "fired" after all. They agreed that Moldova would ask the EU and the US to cancel travel restrictions applied to Transnistrian leaders. In return, Transnistria would cancel travel restrictions applied to Moldovan representatives. They also agreed that they should meet more often.

Voronin and Smirnov agreed upon necessity of convoking common working groups to bolster confidence measures between Chisinau and Tiraspol

11 April 2008

Moldovan President Vladimir Voronin and breakaway Transnistrian leader Igor Smirnov met on Friday, April, 11, in Tighina following a seven-year pause.

[---]

Latest meeting of the two leaders was held on August, 8, 2001.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The main objective is that it does not disturb...

More details from the meeting between Smirov and Voronin. Regnum has a long article about the meeting. Read the full article here.

Regnum: Meeting of Moldovan and Transdnestr presidents in detail

04/14/2008

Smirnov noted that “after a statement of the Moldovan leader that there will be an address to the European community to lift restrictions for movement, we shall also lift the restrictions for entrance of Moldovan officials to the territory of the Moldovan Transdnestr Republic apart from those needing security guard and special conditions for moving.” The presidents expressed “cautious optimism about the future negotiation process.”

[---]

The main objective is that it does not disturb lives of the people in Moldova and the Transdnestr Moldovan Republic,” said Igor Smirnov.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join