It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shots Fired in New York's City Hall

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
"NEW YORK � Gunfire rattled through City Hall in lower Manhattan (search) Wednesday afternoon, injuring at least two people, according to reports. Police were scouring the building and the area for the gunman."

www.foxnews.com...

"Reporters in the press room dove under their desks and screaming echoed through the landmark's halls when the shots broke out shortly after 2 p.m. Mayor Michael Bloomberg (search) was in his office but was not harmed, said his spokesman, Edward Skyler. "

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
wow holy crap.
"But this is an attack on democracy, we will not stop until we find who did this. It is not terrorism," the mayor said."
I hope this was just one lunatict instead of terrorists.

It that an FBI van in the lower-right corner, or just from a news agency?

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I wonder if there'll be any conspiracy behind this.....................do they know WHO was shot yet?

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Sorry that I did'nt see this topic before I posted mine.

NYC Councel Man James Davis was shot dead,and another person died. They think it was a shootout between Davis and the shooter.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What does this add to the story.

Davis, an outspoken presence on the council, joined the police department in 1983 after he was allegedly beaten by two white officers. In 1991, Davis, who is black, started "Love Yourself Stop the Violence," a not-for-profit organization founded to address growing urban violence.

This is included on the story on yahoo Link here.

Here we go they are already trying to turn this into a racial dispute.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Wow, isn't that something Yahoo has changed the post. Luckily I copied the entire article.

Here is what the article originally said.

N.Y. Councilman Dies in City Hall Gunfire
4 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By TIMOTHY WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - A City Council member who crusaded against violence was gunned down during a routine meeting Wednesday afternoon, and a plainclothes police officer in turn shot and killed the assailant on a second-floor balcony inside City Hall, police sources said.

Brooklyn Councilman James Davis, a former police officer, died after being shot twice in the chest, a city official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

His killer died a short time later at New York University Downtown Medical Center, according to police sources. The two mortally wounded men were found lying side by side in the balcony overlooking the chambers, where eyewitnesses said the gunman opened fire.

The shooter was a political opponent of Davis, and had accompanied the councilman into the building before the shooting, a police source said. The gunman's ties to the councilman apparently allowed him to bypass security, the source said.

Davis, an outspoken presence on the council, joined the police department in 1983 after he was allegedly beaten by two white officers. In 1991, Davis, who is black, started "Love Yourself Stop the Violence," a not-for-profit organization founded to address growing urban violence.

The killer was sitting in the balcony near Davis when he suddenly shot the councilman, police sources said. The security officer, who was on the floor of the chamber, shot up at the gunman, striking him five times, the sources said.

As gunfire echoed inside the landmark lower Manhattan building, people dove for cover and the rotunda was filled with screams. Police evacuated the building following the shooting.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who was unharmed, was inside his office on the same floor as the shooting. After hearing the gunshots, he stood up and asked what was going on before people fleeing the shooting began running into his office.

"It was so loud you couldn't hear the direction," said City Council photographer Dan Luhmann. "At first, it was absolute stillness. And then people rushed out and ducked under their desks and it was chaotic."

The shooter and his victim were among 100 people in the balcony inside the second-floor council chambers when the gunfire began after 2 p.m, according to eyewitnesses.

"I looked up, and I saw someone shooting downward," said City Council member David Yassky. A security guard returned fire, according to Yassky.

Security, since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, was amped up at City Hall. Metal detectors were installed at either end of the plaza outside the building, along with metal barricades. A plainclothes police officer works the front door; only reporters with press cards, city employees and police officers can skip the security check.

"We do not know how someone got a gun in the building," Bloomberg said. "Obviously, there was a breakdown someplace."

The mayor quickly assured New Yorkers that the shootings were "a random attack" rather than an act of terrorism.

The two victims were rushed from the front of the building on stretchers, loaded into ambulances and brought to New York University Downtown Hospital with gunshot wounds, said hospital spokeswoman Vanessa Warner.

Police officers, including some in riot gear, swarmed nearby streets and the plaza in front of the building. Subways going into the City Hall station and nearby stations were shut down for about an hour, the Transit Authority said. The Brooklyn Bridge was also shut down briefly.

The City Council was holding a meeting on Wednesday, but council member Peter Vallone Jr. said there was nothing controversial on the day's agenda.

The entrances and exits to the building were sealed off, and a stretcher was rushed inside by police in flak jackets.

Associated Press Writers Tom Hays and Michael Weissenstein contributed to this story.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
According to the radio, they have shot and killed the shooter, who apparently entered the building with Davis. First information is that the shooter was a political rival of Davis.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The video shows the political rivals entering the building together. The did not go through the metal detector. In the mayor's speech, he said, "Effective immediately, everyone, including myself will go through the metal detectors."

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
The video shows the political rivals entering the building together. The did not go through the metal detector. In the mayor's speech, he said, "Effective immediately, everyone, including myself will go through the metal detectors."

========================================

gosh their Freddie

I thought only Chicago had kick a-- politicians

tut tut

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
the question is - will the Government use this as an excuse to "up" security even more?......it's the kind of thing they would stage to gain such an option, don't you think?

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Nah, it was a local politician, not a big wig. The security in that building is already very tight-- government building about a block from the WTC. They will now just make sure everyone, local big wig or not, goes through the metal detectors.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
the question is - will the Government use this as an excuse to "up" security even more?......it's the kind of thing they would stage to gain such an option, don't you think?

=====================================
Well

If your a paranoid, or a curious individual, or a cyinic like me. Such an action would be an excellent feint to draw attention.
In the hot summer streets of NYC this could possibly spark a racial riot beyond scope.
It could be looked at as smoke and miorrors by either our government or terrorists or what it appears on the surface, personal
Do you really think you will ever know?
Perhaps the future history will tell us all!

tut tut

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Nah, it was a local politician, not a big wig. The security in that building is already very tight-- government building about a block from the WTC. They will now just make sure everyone, local big wig or not, goes through the metal detectors.

======================================

I would hardly call a councilman a big wig and obviously security is not that tight. If I were mayor I would evacuate the building and search it. That is why I am not a Mayor.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen

======================================

I would hardly call a councilman a big wig and obviously security is not that tight. If I were mayor I would evacuate the building and search it. That is why I am not a Mayor.

Read what you quoted. I said he was a local politician, not a big wig. No need to evacuate the building as a cop shot the guy right after the murder. The building happens to double as a police station. The guy obviously did not think things out much.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Here we go they are already trying to turn this into a racial dispute

Yep, and the shooter's name was quite strange, I think an example of programming at its finest. Check out this winner: "The gunman, Othniel Askew, 31, died a short time later at a hospital, according to a police source." At a deeper level, this name provokes a, "this guy was quite askew from society- a crazy person". I wouldn't be surprised if news came out that he had some connection to the white supremacy movement, people always need someone to crack down on after these things.

-Source: News link above

So likely the 2nd amendment issue is also going to get stirred up over this, particularly in NY.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I got the impression they were both black. I don't know.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Just imagine how "safe" we will all be when guns can be carried and concealed in churches and schools and gun dealers will be immune to lawsuits no matter what they do. God bless America tm.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   
In the words of Archie Bunker, "Skyjacking. I can solve that right now. Arm all the passengers. Nobody will pull heat." Thanks for reminding me I need to get the hammer fixed on my .45.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
First of all the second amendment has already been trampled in New York city. Only the extremely wealthy and so called"important" people are allowed to carry.

Thorfinn, you need to do a bit more reading on the subject I think. It's gun manufacturers that are being WRONGLY sued by certain cities, not dealers.
Gun dealers are under intense scrutiny as they always have been. Read the ATF regs on getting an FFL sometime.
What makes you think that anyone would "allow" anyone to carry guns in Churches, schools, bars or Govt. buildings? Even the NRA agrees with laws barring such!

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
sad story. Davis was quite a renowned/respected politician in new york ? I heard on news that he planned to speak out against social violence in NY.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join