It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Speed of Light

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have a question which has been bugging me for weeks, maybe someone here can help me.

Ok say you were in a car that was travelling at the speed of light, now please don't start flaming me on how that would be impossible, let's just say it's happening. Ok so your in a car travelling at the speed of light, what will happen if you turn your headlights on? Will you see the light?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Thats a pretty old question. It's also been put by Bach, "If you are traveling at the speed of light and fire a gun, will anything come out of the barrel?"

Tell ya what, I don't like guns but the next time I find myself traveling at the speed of light i'll make sure I have a flashlight with me. I'll post the results here when I get back, If I get back...

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
I have a question which has been bugging me for weeks, maybe someone here can help me.

Ok say you were in a car that was travelling at the speed of light, now please don't start flaming me on how that would be impossible, let's just say it's happening. Ok so your in a car travelling at the speed of light, what will happen if you turn your headlights on? Will you see the light?

Yes, you will.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
At EXACTLLY the speed of light you would.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The speed of anything is only measured in relation to the object it is being measured against.

So if you're going the speed of light, the headlights' beam will be travelling at twice the speed of light, in relation to the Earth, though in relation to your car they will only be travelling at the speed of light.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The speed of anything is only measured in relation to the object it is being measured against.

Thats not true. The speed of light is 330000 Km a second, regardless wether you are on Earth, Jupiter or in the land of Zog (assuming there are no mediums that may slow it, but this is just for arguments sake)

I think you may be thinking of velocity, which is measured in relation to another object, for example, if you have a two spaceships flying paralell that are travelling at 10000 mph, compared to each other, they would have a velocity of 0m/s, but compared to a stationary object it would be 10000 mph.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Here is a thread I started awhile back that might be of some intrest here. It involves visualization while accellerating at near the speed of light.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lots of good info there on this subject.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This answer to this question and many like it are explained in detail in any college-level modern physics textbook, and probably covered in some advanced HS physics texts. Look in the chapter(s) on relativity.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
At EXACTLLY the speed of light you would.

Really? Why is this?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Phixion,

Here is some info from the thread I linked to. It is a quote from JP1111.

"The first thing you will notice is that the light from objects directly ahead of you will become ever more blue shifted, while objects behind you will become redshifted. As the speed increases, the shifting will be so extreme that the light from the forward and rearward stars will be shifted completely out of the visible spectrum and they will appear to fade to black. But there is another kind of relativistic effect which causes an apparent displacement of the images as well. This is called relativistic aberration.

The relevant formula is:

Cos(Theta') = [ cos(Theta) + (V/c) ] / [ 1 + (V/c)cos(Theta) ]

where V is the velocity of the spaceship, Theta is the angle between the star and the direction of travel when the spacecraft is at rest, and Theta is the same angle measured when the spacecraft is in motion.
What happens is that as you look in the direction of travel, the star images shift to smaller angles, Theta, in the direction of travel. At 75 percent the speed of light, the stars that are 90 degrees from the direction of motion have now shifted to a position 41 degrees from the direction of motion in the sky. At even higher speeds, all of the stars in the forward hemisphere will shift to positions within a degree or less of the direction of travel. At ultra-relativistic speeds, all the stars will merge together into one 'star-like' object located directly ahead of you. Because of the Doppler effect, the light will become increasingly blue-shifted and the 'star' will appear blindingly white. Because the dominant source of radiation in the universe is in the cosmic background radiation, it is this blue-shifted light that will dominate what you see over the light from individual stars. In the opposite hemisphere, a large dark spot will appear opposite your direction of travel, and will expand in size to engulf the entire hemisphere.
Source: www.astronomycafe.net...

Here is an illustration:

external imageexternal image
fig1:When looking down, the camera sees the tiled plane as a square grid
fig2:However, if the camera moves rapidly down, special relativity dictates that light subtends a lesser angle with the direction of motion. Consequently, the horizon, previously a great circle, becomes a smaller circle in front of the camera, and as the light 'bunches' ahead, the tiles appear brighter. Doppler shifting also changes the colour of the tiles.

Source: www.anu.edu.au...

For futher explanation, supporting equations, and animations, here is the webpage:
VISUALIZING SPECIAL RELATIVITY
www.anu.edu.au...

I hope this helps you.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Hey thanks, I was planning to look at the site but haven't had time yet.

It seems that the speed of light is still a great mystery to mankind and we are yet to find it's true properties.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat

So if you're going the speed of light, the headlights' beam will be travelling at twice the speed of light, in relation to the Earth, though in relation to your car they will only be travelling at the speed of light.

Actually, that is incorrect. Judging by your misguided political standpoint, you don't get much correct in life.

Light, as we know it today, travels at light speed in all reference frames. If you are travelling at the speed of light and shine a flashlight in the same direction you are travelling, you will see the light travelling at the speed of light.

However, if you are observing this from a perpendicular viewpoint, you WILL NOT see light travelling at twice the speed of light as you claimed. You will only see it travelling at the SPEED OF LIGHT. You both will see light travelling at the speed of light.

Though the speed of light may seem to be changing as our science technology is able to measure it more accurately, these laws are not. Time dilation that occurs as a result can be measured. E=MC^2 because of this fundamental principal. The fact that light is a max limit, enables us to find its equivalence to energy and mass.

So, once again..... you democrats are trying to spread your lies

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
"Actually, that is incorrect. Judging by your misguided political standpoint, you don't get much correct in life. "

Zing.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
When Marvel comics came out with an edition of the Superman comic's where Superman flew at twice the speed of light they received a letter from M.I.T (I think it was M.I T.) that informed them that according to Einsteins theory, nothing could go faster then the speed of Light.

They replied that What Einstein had put forth was a theory, that Superman flew at twice the speed of light was a fact.

I like the way Marvel thinks

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

Originally posted by diehard_democrat

Actually, that is incorrect. Judging by your misguided political standpoint, you don't get much correct in life.

Light, as we know it today, travels at light speed in all reference frames. If you are travelling at the speed of light and shine a flashlight in the same direction you are travelling, you will see the light travelling at the speed of light.

However, if you are observing this from a perpendicular viewpoint, you WILL NOT see light travelling at twice the speed of light as you claimed. You will only see it travelling at the SPEED OF LIGHT. You both will see light travelling at the speed of light.

Though the speed of light may seem to be changing as our science technology is able to measure it more accurately, these laws are not. Time dilation that occurs as a result can be measured. E=MC^2 because of this fundamental principal. The fact that light is a max limit, enables us to find its equivalence to energy and mass.

So, once again..... you democrats are trying to spread your lies

Actually, that is true. The speed of anything is only a measurement of the object in relation to another object. But when you are talking about light, it is measured against it's source. That's true because light goes at whatever speed light travels at out of the flashlight or other source. The speed of light remains constant, but in relation to other objects it can vary, such as when your car is travelling at the speed of light. Then in relation to the viewer (not the driver), the beam will be percieved as travelling at twice the speed of light.

Read up on a few of Stephen Hawking's books, and keep that political crap of yours to PTS.

[edit on 4/17/2005 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Thats a pretty old question. It's also been put by Bach, "If you are traveling at the speed of light and fire a gun, will anything come out of the barrel?"

Tell ya what, I don't like guns but the next time I find myself traveling at the speed of light i'll make sure I have a flashlight with me. I'll post the results here when I get back, If I get back...

Love and light,

Wupy

Surely if you were travelling at the speed of light and you fired a gun something would come out. If you are travelling on a plane and you fired a gun it would still come out at the same speed as if you were on earth.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The gun would be traveling at the same speed as the car and so would the bullet inside the gun. When you shot it, It would increase to above the speed of light. (I think, i'm not a rocket scientist, but hey, thats how I see it.)

Also, I think it might come out, but stop and fall back a little after It came out of the gun.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
okay first off, since travelling at the speed of light requires the object to essentially have no mass, I think this is a mute question. But hypothetically if we could retain mass and travel at the speed of light and we were to fire a bullet or a laser or turn on the headlights what have you the following would happen.

if in the realm of space where you have 0 absolute gravity affecting you, meaning no opposing force friction and your in your "car" and you put a gun out the "window" and fire. Then the bullet is going to be propelled at the velocity of whatever force is pushing the bullet mass at infinite until some space object enforces gravity on it, thus even though you are travelling at the speed of light the bullet will be travelling faster.

now in the realm of gravity if you were travelling in your "air car" in earths atmosphere and travelling at the speed of light and fired the gun, the bullet would accelerate away, but due to the force of gravity acting on it would slow (since there is only the initial force velocity from the gunpowder propelling it) and you would rather quickly catch up to the bullet and pass it as the bullet would fall away and arc down toward the earth but you as a light speed object would continue on a straight vector from where ever your start point was travelling at light speed

As for light if your car was travelling at the speed of light then the light would travel at the speed of light from any point of reference from when you turned on the light, regardless of how fast you were traveling. So regardless of the velocity of your car whether its half the speed of light or light speed when you look at the exact moment in time when the light was turned on, then at that specific point in space light would travel at the speed of light the distance at the speed of light. Thereforce for every fraction of a micro second the beam of light will travel double the distance that the source will travel in the same time frame. The beam of light will not accelerate any faster but will simply travel at the speed of light but will double the distance travelled as apparent from the source. Since both the source and the light beam will be realtively close together it would be hard to tell how far in front the light beam would be as it would be only a matter of a few inches at the most. The source is traveling under some sort of propulsion (presumed) while the light beam is only traveling "FROM" the emmission source and has no additional velocity vector.

Again this is unrealistic because to travel at the speed of light you must have no or minute mass.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
you can have mass and travel at the speed of light

find me a source that says you cant

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
you can have mass and travel at the speed of light

find me a source that says you cant

E=MC^2

There you go. The higher your mass, the greater the energy you need. The greater energy you need, the higher mass you need. It'll approach infinite, which is impossible.

Find me a source that says you can.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join