It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesia = JOKE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Watching the TV at the moment, and the poor Australian girl being convicted of drug smuggling really shows the low down tactics governments will go to, just to set records straight.

Corby, was found with marijuana in her Surfboard bag.

Even tho people have come foward admitting they know of drug rings that place hemp into peoples luggage,
Even tho she would of made 10x MORE money selling it in Aust that over in Indonesia
EVEN THO her bag was weighed and SCREENED..

they are still putting her on trial for the DEATH SENTANCE

thats incredible, consider not too long ago, abu bashir was given TWO BLOOODY months for his role in the BALI ATTACKS..

2 months - Terrorist operations KILLING people

DEATH - Falsly accused of drug smuggling.

Just goes to show, she's nothing more than a pawn in a political game.

My sympathies to her family and friends, and to her as well. I hope she returns home safe and sound.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I was thinking of visitng Indonesia as a tourist. How would I avoid this scam? Are horror-stories like this true? It certainly doesn't paint a pleasant picture for anyone who wants to tour or visit Indonesia. Maybe the girl was obstinate or rude. It is 85%-90% Muslim, as I understand.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I saw a photo of her this morning in the news here in NZ. My heart aches for the trauma she must be enduring, I cannot imagine what she is going through.

As for the political/legal BS that is Indonesia......Pffft, it isn't worthy of a comment imo. Its purely disgusting how they treat people.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
IT just seems to be happening more and more often.

This is the second drug smuggling case in as many years.

And not long ago the Yatchs man was arrested for SMUGGLING guns.

Now... he had an enormous amount of weapons on board, he might not of been smuggling them, but to defend yourself you'd only need 2-3 guns in my opinion.

His trial was looking very bad then boom, one day he was released and set free.

He was a RICH man.... so chances are he just paid the gvt a large sum of money, and was set free.

this poor lady in prison now is young, broke... that is why she is experiencing hell..

And to thnk all we did with helping them after the tsunami,
Im not saying let drug smuggling slide, but BE REASONABLE at least for peats sake.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I was thinking of visitng Indonesia as a tourist. How would I avoid this scam? Are horror-stories like this true? It certainly doesn't paint a pleasant picture for anyone who wants to tour or visit Indonesia.

NO 1 rule, Never ever leave or turn your back on your luggage,Check it yourself before you hand it over,

This is an awful time for Corby, I really felt sorry for her watching the news today,

Heres a link to the story in case anyone is catching up.

ACCUSED FAINTS AT TRIAL

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
here's another BTS thread on the topic

Gold Coast mum sprays activists in Indonesia

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Also today its been speculated the prosecution is looking for bribes to reduce their demanded sentence... i was thinking of going to Bali, but i am boycotting trips to indonesia because of this as its disgusting.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Is there anyway for other countries to help her?? This is absolutely ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
What do ya reackon the chances are..
if she does get SENTANCED to Death..
would the Aus send in some special forces or somethign n break her out ?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GlobalDisorder
What do ya reackon the chances are..
if she does get SENTANCED to Death..
would the Aus send in some special forces or somethign n break her out ?

Wouldn't think so. I imagine, however, there will be a large hue and cry from the Australians, some money will cross some palms, and she will get off "lightly" ... And I use that term most advisedly.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Maybe, just maybe she was a drug smuggler? It is easy to look innocent and say whatever comes to your mind now that your are caught. I don't say that she could heve been framed but she also could be a real criminal.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
but she could only sell it for a FRACTIOn of the price in indonesia..
and why risk it when they are KNOWN to execute smugglers?

It just doesnt make ANY sense.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
My mind's not made up on this issue.

However, i don't really trust the evidence given by that convicted rapist who said that it was an interstate drug smuggling deal.

But i wouldn't be surprised if this was a bit of payback by local authorities who still remember Timor.

[edit on 14-4-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I honestly doubt she'll get death... keep in mind all the help Australia has given indonesia after the Tsunami ($1 billion AUD), and also both countries are trying hard to build bridges and have a closer realtionship...

If she dies by firing squad the Australian people will be angry... an angry population wont want closer ties with a country who's legal system has failed one of our own... I think Bangbang Yudhiyono will grant her celmency if John Howard asked....

On this point, there are lots of other Australian citizens on death row in other sth east asian countries that havent been given this much publicity... although i think they might actually be guilty...

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Why do the Indonesians have such an issue with marijuana? Isn't much of the world's marijuana grown in that region? What is the motivation for their prohibitionism, particularly when the Aussies are loosening up their stance on pot?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Why do the Indonesians have such an issue with marijuana? Isn't much of the world's marijuana grown in that region? What is the motivation for their prohibitionism, particularly when the Aussies are loosening up their stance on pot?

All asian countries are sensitive to drugs, especially those that have a large ethnic Chinese population largely due to the Opium Wars.

There are many reasons and Indonesians might be different to say China, Singapores, etc. Most of the drug makers are in Asia but are always in running battles with the authorities. It's simply a stand on Law, Order and Morality.

And Australian's are not loosening on pot, only the Greens are putting laws like that are have being ridiculed by both the centre-left and centre-right parties of Australia.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Yes you could call it a joke if the consequences for Corby weren't so serious.

No-one in their right mind would try to smuggle drugs INTO Indonesia. If she wanted to buy dope in Bali it would be a lot easier and heaps cheaper than to buy it in Australia.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I don't think its the indonesian's that have an issue with the drugs. I think this stems from the fact that the US has encouraged stiff penalties for drug crimes commited in foreign countries. Its an easy way for a third world country to gain brownie points with its wealthier cointerparts. The country imposes insane penalties for drug offenses turns to Washington saying see we're your ally in the war on drugs, Washington then says good job pats them on the head throws them an arms deal and turns a blind eye to the corruption and human rights abuses run rampant in the country.

It happened during the Cold War when we stood shoulder to shoulder with tyrants to spread "freedom" from communism it happened during the war on drugs and its happening now with the war on terror. As long as you act like your on our side and put on a good show we'll throw a ton of money and weapons your way to support your despotic regime. Thats just my opinion anyway but I believe the fact back me up on this.

top topics

join