It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China tightens Internet use -blocks political dissent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
apnews.myway.com...

Anybody here from 00PS in the last day or so? If not this may be why....

"NEW YORK (AP) - The Chinese government has become increasingly sophisticated at controlling the Internet, taking a multilayered approach that contributes to precision in blocking political dissent, a report released Thursday finds.

The precision means that China's filters can block just specific references to Tibetan independence without blocking all references to Tibet. Likewise, the government is effective at limiting discussions about Falun Gong, the Dalai Lama, Tiananmen Square and other topics deemed sensitive, the study from the OpenNet Initiative finds...."

And note this line in the article:

"That breadth, the study finds, allows the filtering tools to adapt to emerging forms of communications, such as Web journals, or blogs."

As irony would have it, this is 00P's last post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

"And who said the Chinese couldn't protest?

If any of you keep up with Asian news you'll know about Japan's latest revisionist theories of it's wartime atrocities being published in the latest set of textbooks to brainwash the future generation that Japan was a moral and ethical country and that China and Korea only hate it because they are jealous of it's greatness. (much like what the USA did)

What you probably didn't know is that Chinese can protest. The American propaganda machine is told that you cannot protest in China. This is a lie. There are petitions, strikes, marches and even rioting in China. Here are some photos of the latest protest. And who said Chinese can't protest?

[edit on 10-4-2005 by 00PS]"

Note the Edit, if my memory serves me correctly, he posted a bunch of anti Chinese statements to make a point. Funny, those are gone now...Mmmmm

Anyways, China tightens the controls even further.....Is 00PS a victim of this? 00PS? Where are ya? Hello?

[edit on 14-4-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
From the article:

Numerous government agencies and thousands of public and private employees are involved at all levels, from the main pipelines, or backbones, hauling data over long distances to the cybercafes where many citizens access the Internet.

That breadth, the study finds, allows the filtering tools to adapt to emerging forms of communications, such as Web journals, or blogs.

It's scary to me how many people at all levels are willingly involved in a conspiracy to strip their fellow countrymen of free speech and basic rights. Red China is truly a horrible, 1984-like government.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I live in Shanghai. Still posting as normal. No Red Guards knocking at the door as of yet.

Maybe 00PS is recovering from the sting he received in a couple of threads...

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I live in Shanghai. Still posting as normal. No Red Guards knocking at the door as of yet.

Maybe 00PS is recovering from the sting he received in a couple of threads...

i thought you are Japanese or living in taiwan wecomeinpeace, whatever you should know what i mean by "biased westerner media"? hoho

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I *think* that most Chinese would think the moves to block Falungong, Tibetan Separatists, Tawainese Separatists as being justified.

I personally think that it is justified for the unity and stability of a nation. Just like the U.S who are trying to block several Arab channels such as Al-Jazeera in Iraq.

U.S closes Al-Jazeera

I do not think that blocking the BBC is justified, but i must say, from where my house is in Shanghai, i have never being blocked to any website. I think that is because i lived in a designated Foreigners area when i go back there. (Even Chinese people can live there, just that those blocks are expensive and thus mainly used to serve ex-pats)

[edit on 14-4-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by taobo33
i thought you are Japanese or living in taiwan wecomeinpeace, whatever you should know what i mean by "biased westerner media"? hoho

Well, that's what happens when you think. Stop it immediately, it's bad for you.
*joke joke*

Seriously though, you assumed that I was Japanese or in Taiwan because I said bad things about the CCP? Wow
, you need to get your head out of the sand. Deriding a country's current government doesn't mean you're saying bad things about the country itself. Any government is transitory, the CCP included. The CCP is not China. 56 years is a piece of pidgeon poop compared to the history of China. I criticise the Australian government, whether Labour or Liberal. Does that mean I don't like Australia, or that I couldn't be Australian?
I've also criticized the Japanese government and Taiwan's DPP, so I guess you must be a little confused by now. Seems you only skimmed for the parts where I criticized the CCP, displayed by your comment of "please don't use my thread to attack China", when I was attacking the CCP, not China. Hope this clears things up a little.

Yeah, of course I know what you mean by biased Western media. We in the West point at Al Jazeera and Xin Hua and cry "bias!", "propaganda!", "brainwashing!", all the while blinded to the exact same elements in our own, often state-funded or state-funding, media. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. One man's warmonger is another man's righteous warrior. It's all in the perspective.

Back on topic -->

The CCP started progressively blocking BBC media in 2002 because of that outlet's favourable reporting regarding the Falun Gong religion (or cult...again, perspective).

Government blocks BBC World broadcast
On July 1 (2002), government officials blocked the encrypted signal that transmits BBC World through the Sinosat 1 satellite.

The Chinese government has not yet offered the BBC any formal explanation for the suspension of broadcasts, according to BBC sources in London. However, the suspension followed a report on BBC World about the banned spiritual group Falun Gong that was broadcast repeatedly on June 30 and July 1.

Here's a list of websites blocked in China as of Nov 2002, maintained by Harvard Uni's Internet Law dept.
cyber.law.harvard.edu...

Here's an article by the same dept. on the issue.
cyber.law.harvard.edu...

Basically, say anything bad about the CCP, human rights in China, or show strong opposition to CCP policy and you get the axe. I wonder how long ATS will be up...?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
wecomeinpeace,

Is it possible that its regional? Or even individual for that matter? I ask because of two things: #1 00P's last post was regarding this very topic and #2 He was very critical of the CCP in that post (only to prove a point)

And now he is gone AND his critical comments have been edited out. I just find all this to coincidental.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
wecomeinpeace,

Is it possible that its regional? Or even individual for that matter? I ask because of two things: #1 00P's last post was regarding this very topic and #2 He was very critical of the CCP in that post (only to prove a point)

And now he is gone AND his critical comments have been edited out. I just find all this to coincidental.

That's stretching it, it's a technical nightmare. You control these things at the proxy server if i'am not mistaken, the proxy server serves everyone, not just one individual.

And the deletion of the post is done by a Mod, not President Hu.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
wecomeinpeace,

I see what you're saying, skip, but I seriously doubt it. I think you're worrying too much here. With this sort of thing, they're usually not concerned about foreigners, and not even about individual locals. It's only when you have a large movement or consensus that they will act. Despite common misconception, China isn't that controlled. The government knows in a country of over 1 billion people, they don't have the resources to keep track of and silence every single individual with "unorthodox" ideas. I'm sure 00PS is fine - he likely regretted posting what he did and edited it out himself later. The weather's recently turned warm here so he's probably out hitting the bars and dancin' up a funky storm.

You've seen me post damning stuff about the CCP before and I'm still happily posting my usual crap. And I know there are Internet monitoring protocols in Shanghai because my friend helped install them.

new topics

top topics

join