It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mech Combat Walker

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The only argument for these I've seen has been 'well they look cool'. There would be absolutly no point and they would most likely cost ungodly amounts of money.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
i supose......BUT THEIR SOOOOOO COOL! anyway, the only way i could think of these things being practical is if they could (hear me out) walk on ground, fly, and perhaps go underwater. THEN they would be worth the cost, because they could be used for a variety of aplications instead of one. they also would have to be highly moble on the ground, and very stable (internal gyroscopes, suported by balancing jets?) that way they could fly to site of batle, do what tanks do best, and go to next hotspot. NOT SUGESTING TRANSFORMATION OF ANY KIND. that would just be crazy

EDIT: forget the underwater stuff. that would have to be a difrent thing that would use land and water..........SUBTANKS!!!!!!

[edit on 26-4-2005 by Fiction of Truth]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I see you're getting my point the more you really think about it the less and less applications you see for mechs except the whole kool factor. for every MILITARY application that you can think for a mech there is something that could be infinitely better with the same amount or slightly less tech or even modern ( lot less technical than mechs) that would do the job better with less vulnerability.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
well, like Fiction of Truth said, we could put jumpjets on those mechs so that they can jump anywhere on the battlefield and where they need most, tanks can't do that

Urn

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fiction of Truth
NOT SUGESTING TRANSFORMATION OF ANY KIND. that would just be crazy

dude, iwas just gonna suggest that "TRANSFORMERS!!!! more than meats the eye"

but seriously, i dont care how tech advanced a military happens to be....
mechs=unpractical, in every sence of the word.....

i will agree that, DAMN they looks coool
...but i wouldnt waste MY tax paying money on them...(although the the US government might waste my money on them [good thing im canadian...lol])

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
well, like Fiction of Truth said, we could put jumpjets on those mechs so that they can jump anywhere on the battlefield and where they need most, tanks can't do that

they'll make sweet targets for SAMs and flak and would be sitting ducks for jets and helicopters. helicopter gun ships (flying tanks) by the time we get flying mechs can you just imagine how far attack helicopters would be? we'll probably have some kinds of hopters like you see in a lot of sci fi. Just think about it seriously for a second if your fighting on ground you want something fast and low to the ground(think aliens armor vehicle) if your fighting in the air you want something that's small an agile (if your not using serving as a transport) and those are 2 things that mechs are not going to be or be even remotely have the edge on other vehicles of similar technological level if we do get to the point where we could have fast and agile mechs. the best military like application I see for mechs if for gladiator like games like we have now with robots now.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oblivions void

Originally posted by ulshadow

they'll make sweet targets for SAMs and flak and would be sitting ducks for jets and helicopters. helicopter gun ships (flying tanks) by the time we get flying mechs can you just imagine how far attack helicopters would be? we'll probably have some kinds of hopters like you see in a lot of sci fi. Just think about it seriously for a second if your fighting on ground you want something fast and low to the ground(think aliens armor vehicle) if your fighting in the air you want something that's small an agile (if your not using serving as a transport) and those are 2 things that mechs are not going to be or be even remotely have the edge on other vehicles of similar technological level if we do get to the point where we could have fast and agile mechs. the best military like application I see for mechs if for gladiator like games like we have now with robots now.

yea, i guess you are right... but we could use the mech to walk through narrow places where tanks are too wide

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Because there are so many small holes that tanks can't get into.

Rofl, when I typed that I kept getting the mental picture of a tank at 45 degrees stuck in a 5x5ft hole, with the crew chief yelling "give er' more power".

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I still want my shiny Mech's,
Personally I don't think that Mechs will become a weapon of war but its would look nice and mean.

I don't think it would be worth the cost and time to build them since they would probably be impractical in a war. The closest things we well get to Mechs will probably exoskeleton suits for our soldiers. Remember the Matrix when the Sentinels invaded Zion and the humans put on those robotic suits that's what I’m thinking of.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The Zion 'robotic suits' ARE MECHS! your just not realizing it.

in my own head at least (an almost surefire sign its wrong) a mech is anything that walkes on two legs, is comaned remotely or directly by a pilot, and makes the user AT LEAST 1 1/3-1 1/2 times their normal hight. when most people think 'mechs' they think somepthing like the aptly named 'mech warior' game or some kind of gundam like thing. those are just craaaazy overhauled ones.

and one more thing, if you think about it, no matter what you do, most people are in better control of their own bodies than a vehicle, infact i think its not posible not to be. if you could sense the nerological patterns directing mucles (somone has alredy invented something like this) and make that corospond to robotic movements, you have something that would in most likly hood, be far better than a tank, and posobly a helocopter. need good armor tho. AND YOUD ONLY NEED ONE PILOT TO THIS AS OPPOSED TO 3 FOR A TANK

+ they are just so cool

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
the ONLY reason i can see mechs being feasable is to be abel to do close quarter combat with 60 foot tall aliens. And if direct human to mech movment mimicing could be done (Gunbuster Anime), or direct thought control (Later Robotech anime)

D

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

I don't think it would be worth the cost and time to build them since they would probably be impractical in a war. The closest things we well get to Mechs will probably exoskeleton suits for our soldiers. Remember the Matrix when the Sentinels invaded Zion and the humans put on those robotic suits that's what I’m thinking of.

Those were ok. But the pilots of those were pretty exposed. They didn't have any type of cockpit.

Now what I want to see is Battletech style mechs. Those of you familiar with the Battletech universe and the Mechwarrior Games will know what I'm talking about. Imagine having the Madcat or Atlas stalking around.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fiction of Truth
The Zion 'robotic suits' ARE MECHS! your just not realizing it.

in my own head at least (an almost surefire sign its wrong) a mech is anything that walkes on two legs, is comaned remotely or directly by a pilot, and makes the user AT LEAST 1 1/3-1 1/2 times their normal hight. when most people think 'mechs' they think somepthing like the aptly named 'mech warior' game or some kind of gundam like thing. those are just craaaazy overhauled ones.

and one more thing, if you think about it, no matter what you do, most people are in better control of their own bodies than a vehicle, infact i think its not posible not to be. if you could sense the nerological patterns directing mucles (somone has alredy invented something like this) and make that corospond to robotic movements, you have something that would in most likly hood, be far better than a tank, and posobly a helocopter. need good armor tho. AND YOUD ONLY NEED ONE PILOT TO THIS AS OPPOSED TO 3 FOR A TANK

+ they are just so cool

you know what, i like that intergraded with human and mech, that way the mechs can be as flexable as the person in control of it hehehe

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
her is a link to a topic i started about combat mech's in the military. Talked about how the armor would work. propultions and control, also added in some on armorment. Its a all around discription of how a mech would work in city fighting.

Take it or leave it most of you will not even read it and keep conplaining..

mech in military link

links are provided to back up my view

by the way a m1a1 is 9feet tall to the top of the turrent and add another 2.5 feet for the guns on top of the tank. if you add the new fire from inside system they are thinking about that brings it up to to 13-14 feet tall.

The mech That i can see build is only going to be 13-15 feet tall so whats easyer to hit in a city a 9foot wide 17 foot long 13-15 foot tall tank or a 5-7 foot wide 6-8 feet long 13-15 foot tall mech remember the tank is a solid mass a mech has places where rounds can go between the legs or arms.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
the tank is also faster, more firepower and better armored

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
your really not getting the point..... how fast does a tank turn in a city?

true of false

a tank has to pull at least half way around a corner before it can bring its main gun to on a target down a street.

True of false

would a mech have to pull it self half way around a corner to fire on a target?

Tanks have better armor True But in city fighting what is the most used weapon besides small arms? RPG and other rockets.... With electron armor and the arina system the mech would be impervus to these weapons. Making infentry next to useless aginst it.

Mechs are not ment to replace tanks they are ment to act as infentry support units with similar fire power to a bradly or apc And because it uses fuel cells as a power supply it could also use high energy weapons that hummers and apc/bradlys can't.

True of false can a tank move on all 3 axis of movement when ever it wants?

True of false can a mech move on all 3 axis of movement when ever it wants?

just so you under stand tanks can't side step or rase or lower how tall they are at all.. They have to turn before they can move in that direction. The top speed on most tanks is only 40-60 miles per hour. The m1a1 can hit 70 but only for short times before it brakes down. Can a tank lay down no can a tank hide behind stuctures or other this to use as cover no.... can a tank lift things up to higher levels no. Can a tank supply ground troops with fresh water no... can a tank move obsticals out of the way with out running them over or crushing them no. Can a tank jump with out forward motion no. Can a tank fire infront of it then fire behind it in tight area IE allies and smaller streets no the gun is to big and would hit the walls. Can a tank fire its main weapon at people on roofs above the tank no there is only a max elevation of around 35-45% the main gun can elivate if that. The only thing in city fighting that a tank would be better aginst is other tanks... If a mech gets shot by a tank its down but maybe not out. If it takes a leg hit or arm hit it might be able to keep going. unlike a tank if the round goes into the cab area everyone is dead you hit the tread guess whats behind the tread crew cab.... you hit the front gues whats inside the front of the tank crew you hit the turrent guess whats inside the turrent. you hit the back you get the motor...

mech you hit the arm whats behind the arm? unless its a side hit nothing you hit a leg what else can be damage the other leg thats it. you hit the back you get the motor/fuelcell you hit the front you get the driver.

It all comes down to uses mechs will never replace tanks on the battle field but in city I would reather have 2 mechs doing a patrol with 1-2 squads of men then having a hummer or APC along any day of the week.

agine I said that no one reads my other topic and guess what if they would have read it I would not have to be reposting it now....

[edit on 28-4-2005 by shadarlocoth]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
the tank is also faster, more firepower and better armored

Jehosephat, why are you supporting tanks 24/7?

and shadarlocoth, good post, there is a lot of stuff tanks can't do and two legged mech can. and as i said before, they are not there to replace tanks but to support tanks and troops on the ground. it would be as agile as a human and it would have the fire power of a tank

+plus when you hit a tank anywhere it won't work anymore, but if you like hit a arm of a mech the arm will be blow off, but the mech still surives.

[edit on 28-4-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
if you can make Mechs the size of those seen in the matrix (well armor of coarse) they would be a good heavy support for infantry and sentry duty. where they would small areas and be a sort of heavy firepower for infantry against most lightly arm infantry (no RPGs and stuff like that) and small lightly armor vehicles. I think the closest we will see would be power armor like in starship trooper cartoons with a few mechs like I described above for heavy support. Mechs would work a lot better with infantry than tanks and lightly armor vehicles. But they would have to be either heavily armor which would most likely make them very cumbersome or they would have to extremely agile and fast and I have serious doubts as to how agile they can be made being dependent on a human inside guiding it. The mech designs as we have all come to know them would make great robotic soldiers in the 7-10 ft range.

Just imagine these mechs with heavy machine guns (50 cal or 7.62) mortars, grenade or 25mm airburst launcher, a few anti air or anti tank missiles. No can you picture this assisting infantry kind of like the way the Israelis use tanks and armor vehicles in raids into Palestinian territories? Heck you might even put in a flame thrower in there when they get in real close with a group of people. They may also be good for crowd control equipped with non-lethal weapons just let even a single mech loose onto an on-coming group of protesters and they would mop the street with them. Tear gas launchers, pepper spray coming out in huge gust (like a flamethrower) flash bang launchers, rubber bullet guns. Mechs would be ideal for peacekeeping/law enforcement roles where their armor and heavy weaponry (lethal/non-lethal) would make them ideal because the chances of heavy military equipment that would make having a mech laughable in a battlefield (tanks, helicopters, heavy RPGs and missiles) are not going to be much of a threat there.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
NOW your gettin what i said in the other posts. i would like to add that mechs could strafe, one other thing a tank cant do unless its in the perfect position. and mechs would not necicarily be slower than tanks. retracting wings, turbine, rocket engine, and a runing, jumping start could get it flying, then when it gets to next hotspot it lands, goes in, comes out, refuels, and flys off again. also, if you hit a mech, and it falls over, as long as the armor is not peirced, it can get up again. plus in urban combat conditions, it could go ontop of the roofs, if needbee, and climb/jump/hover (depending on whelther its more of a zion style one or a humanoid style one in terms of design) down behind baracade INSTA AMBUSH

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
yea, great post both of you Oblivions void and Fiction of Truth. mechs can do all kinds of stuff that tanks can't like the one that Fiction of Truth mention, it can go into a hotspot, attack, jump back, refuel, supplie etc. very agile. and like Oblivions void said, it can mount a lot of powerful weapons that troops on the ground can't carry because it is too heavy or too big. it can put anti-tank rockets, big machine guns and such. with both firepower and speed/movernment/agility it will be useful and great support for soilders on the ground.

[edit on 28-4-2005 by ulshadow]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join