It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mech Combat Walker

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I think combat Walkers are really cool but in the real world it might not be as powerful and useful due to both designs and our lack of tech.

Check those Out

Starcraft Goliath Combat Walker

Blood ASP

Cauldron Born
www.kerensky.tierranet.com...

what you guys and girls think? Cool

Do you think we can make these in the future?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Personally I will never see mechs happen, if we develop sufficient anti-gravity technology, we will have hovering weapon platforms that don't have the inherrent weaknesses of legs and complex mechanics.

However, they will be a viable option for infantry, powered exo-skelletons and the like...Aliens anyone?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
Personally I will never see mechs happen, if we develop sufficient anti-gravity technology, we will have hovering weapon platforms that don't have the inherrent weaknesses of legs and complex mechanics.

However, they will be a viable option for infantry, powered exo-skelletons and the like...Aliens anyone?

well, what i like to see is troops supporting combat walkers, the walkers are two times bigger than the troops. maybe if we develope shields, energy shields like you see on sci-fi. with the energy shields the armor won't be a problem. but... walkers can be useful in times, such as going through a forest where tanks will have problem. troops can go through a forest but with combat walkers they have more fire power.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
If we get portable shields for the troops, I wanna know what the weapons to combat them would be? Supposedly lasers wouldnt work, neither would explosives.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I love the idea.

I would like to see mechs like in the Mechwarrior games. To have a 110 foot Kodiak to roll up on the enemy with would be so cool.

The technology that we lack that would make these possible would be only a really good interface between the machine and the mind and body that would control it. Another would be a suitable matierial for the musculature of the vehicle. Hydraulics wouldn't quite cut it on speed, and gears are too problematic. There are man-made muscle-like materials in development now that when improved, can solve the problem of kinetics.

With computer-assisted navigation systems and gyros, the jump-jet issues would be mitigated. Those machines were nuclear powered, I believe, so there would have to be marked improvements to the power pack.

God I'm a geek.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
its better to have wanzers in front mission.
they are smaller about 18 to 20 ft tall. but they are more practical in the future then really giant mechs of over 100 ft.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
its better to have wanzers in front mission.
they are smaller about 18 to 20 ft tall. but they are more practical in the future then really giant mechs of over 100 ft.

Yea, thats what i was thinking, over 100 ft will be too big and tall, it would be sitting duck to enemy anti-tank round on the leg and it would fall
the bigger they are the harder they fall. so a small mech would do, like as tall as a garage.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ok, what are the practical advantages of such a machine? It gives such a high silhouette, too easy to target, plus I doubt mechanical legs would move as fast as tank tracks or wheels. There are also too many vulnerable parts in such a design (narrow legs, vulnerable leg moving mechanism, various sensitive parts sticking out, etc) unlike tanks with solid bodies. Those things are only good for science fiction

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taishyou
There are also too many vulnerable parts in such a design (narrow legs, vulnerable leg moving mechanism, various sensitive parts sticking out, etc) unlike tanks with solid bodies. Those things are only good for science fiction

Or simply put, legs. What happens when it gets pushed over ... GAME OVER.

When fighting moves out of direct combat, it will only be the ones sitting inside of a complex fighting through drive/fly-by-wire controls. The farther away we are the less chance of casualties.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The closest we are ever probably going to get to Mechs, are exo skeletons, or Power suits.

The drawbacks of "Mechs" are balance, and the fact that Tracked/wheeled vehciles can go a lot faster then stompers. Most Sci-fi get around this by making the walkers bigger so they can cover more ground on each step. Look at any Mech animation and NONE ever use a counter weight, or a true pendulum motion in their walk. The simple matter is, Mechs have crappy balance to being with and you are going ot be spending more time and energy to correct taht flaw, when a Main battle tank can do jsut as well.

Not to metion Battletech/Mechwarrior Mechs have a serious flaw in overheating and then going nuclear. YOu think they would have figured out how to properly radiate heat and vent things.

Unlike Robotech which found out a way to get hydrogen from putting a Seed into stasis.
much bettter IMHO when you don't have to worry abotu your mech going nuclear

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well, first it looks cool!!!
but there are few advantages like on rough terrian, tracks tanks would just keep bumping on the rough terrian and would be extreamly hard to get by like said in a forest. with those mechs it would be eaiery to walk on rough terrian than those tracks tanks.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
mechs would have the same problem tanks would with rough terrain, there is no ability to walk on it if your foot slips out from underneath cause you do not have a good purchase.

Now a Quad Mech would be a lot differnat and better at rough terrain.. not to metion you are trying to compare a 60 foot tall 50+ ton mech, to a 30 foot long 6 ton tank. Give a MBT the same tech as the Mech, or even Anti-grav and you will find the MBT has no problem with rough terrain

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Advantages, It looks Kick A! And if you are out in the field and your enemy had huge robot warriors shooting laser weapons would you want to take your chances with your 5.56mm? Nope, you would scurry away or just surrender.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Advantages, It looks Kick A! And if you are out in the field and your enemy had huge robot warriors shooting laser weapons would you want to take your chances with your 5.56mm? Nope, you would scurry away or just surrender.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!!! YEAH! GET SOME!!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

Originally posted by WestPoint23

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!!! YEAH! GET SOME!!!!!

Yea, thats what i was talking about.... it looks cool!!!
It will just scare the enemy badly hehehe

oh and Jehosephat, well, we could put an anti-gravity on the mech to make it more balance

[edit on 26-4-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
why would you put anti-gravity on the mech? you wouldn't need legs anymore

and what moron would try to take a Mech out with 5.56mm guns? I rather use a 155 howitser, or delpeated uranium tipped 120mm APFSDS. the bigger they are the harder they fall

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think the idea is very cool but I am not sure if it is actually practical. I mean...why replace a tank's track with legs? Sure it might get you through some tough terrain but it won't be faster than tracks on plain ground. Unless of course the legs can becom tracks sort of. But then what is the adv of legs during combat situation? Maybe it can dance around and distract the enemy? hahaha...do the Lord of Dance thing and shake the ground.

I think it might be more practical to have human size combat walker or humanoid robot (around 250 cm tall) which can then do combat in indoor environment or street combat. With legs instead of tracks, it can then run up stairs, open door etc. It would be like having the toughness of tank and agility of soldiers combined. However, with the current tech, that would be impossible.

[edit on 26-4-2005 by twchang]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Jehosephat, the anti-gravity make the mech balanced, besides iwth legs it looks cool, and iwthout legs it just the body and it doesn't look like a weapon hehehe

twchang, yea, like a human power suit. but also it shouldn't replace tanks, it will just support it like the soliders supports the mechs

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

and what moron would try to take a Mech out with 5.56mm guns? I rather use a 155 howitser, or delpeated uranium tipped 120mm APFSDS. the bigger they are the harder they fall

Not if they have energy shields on

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
if you can put an energy field to cover the MANY vulnerablilities of Walker/mech type vehicles than I'm pretty sure you can make something alot more practical and efficient to add shields to, I would had a shields to an WW2 tank and some modern or altleast compare to Shields weaponry and see how far u go. this is like the whole light saber thing, ultra cool but a single man with a late 1800s revolver can take him out maybe 2 or 3 of them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join