It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart cars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
New cars usually have onboard equiptment to tell you these stats. My friend bought a brand new 05 plate Clio and it tells you how many miles you have left on the current tank.

Very nice may I say.

Yep. mine can tell you:

Average mpg
Instantanious mpg
Miles remaining on fuel left in tank
Average speed
Time traveled... like a stopwatch, not like "time travel"

etc...

Very useful gadget. I love it.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
If it's giving you 40MPG I think it might be broken

Only joking. What size engine is it?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It's a 1.8L turbocharged inline 4 cylendar
5 vlaves per cylendar

It puts out
225bhp
207lb-ft
(at the crank)

and it'll heavily modified soon and putting about 300bhp to the ground.

And it'll still pull 20 or so mpg city.

As we speak the tech at my shop (yes, the shop I work at) is putting on my Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs to improve handeling and reduce body roll and shift durring acceleration and cornering.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Just a question, why did you go for the 1.8 and mod it when you could have just got the 3.2 quattro?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
because the 3.2 wasn't released when I purchased mine, and I wouldn't want it anyway. It's only offered in an Automatic with a DSG paddle shifter transmission... which is a very good transmission, but it's not as fun as a stickshift. Also, the engine is not turbocharged, which makes increasing the power very dificult to do. Small changes to a turbo engine yield much larger bhp gains than large changes to a non-turbo engine. Not only that but it's only 240bhp as opposed to 225... not that much faster to start with, and it's heavier... so the end-all-be-all is that it's only very slightly faster.

The 3.2 would be perfect for someone who wanted an automatic (or paddle shifter) and didn't want to modify the car.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Is this tiny little "smart car" actually popular in Europe or other countries?

It would be a cold day in hell before I would drive that.

See them all the time in Toronto, and when they finally get approved for sale in the States you're prolly gonna see alot more around the streets down there as well.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Personally I like the 2005 Mustang...Nothin Like a badass V-8.

This is the MRT (Mustang Racing Technologies) Interceptor, this agressive muscle car would mop the floor with some of those tiny European cars.

Need I say more?

You f***** know it!!! Aston Martin wins hands down on any other sports car IMO and im sure a lot of brits would agree

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
hey, I said tiny...I'm not against foreign cars.

I love the Vanquish, but my favorite car is the Lamborghini Murcielago.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Impractical 2 seaters..........Which brings us nicely back to the Smart.

The Japanese market also gets a slightly smaller version of the Smart that meets the K (kei-jidousha) class of automobile restrictions. This allows owners to cut costs on insurance and tax. In some cases the smart k is exempted from the usual requirement in Japanese towns and cities to provide proof of a parking space.

No I'm not making it up.

www.benzworld.org...

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Ouch!

www.strainu.3x.ro...

Ouch?
I see nothing...

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I imagine that the Smart, being a lighter car, will slide along the road instead of staying in one place and crumpling as much as a heavier car.

However, to the person that likes accidents I suggest this place:
www.wreckedexotics.com...

It's way cool =)

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I think the smart car is ideal for someone who lives in the city and doesn't travel much out. I can see these things being absolutely demolished in an accident, which would be the reason for not purchasing one for mine...

if you havent seen one keep your eyes out. These things are absolutely tiny, and are popping up down here in melbourne alot.

As a side note, I wouldnt mind a bit more info on the whole magnet idea...

M@

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
i just spent awile trying to find crash test info on the smart. thre things i found realy didn't surprise me. first off aparently there was a case where a smart was pushed by a truck for a couple of miles before a cop noticed and stopped the truck. aparantly the truck driver nver saw the car at all. he had felt a slight bump but thought nothing of it. a cop saw the smart being pushed and pulled the truck over to the astonishment of the driver who had no clue as to why he was being stopped. a most unpleasant discovery for that trucker i imagine.

i found footage of a front end colision between a mart and an s clas mercedies. unfortunately it was in a language i couldn't understand. but the end result was the smart being TOSSED like a toy. now an s class is not a very big car. i shudder what to think of what would happen with a bigger vehicle. my own accidnt comes to mind, with the damage my truck suffered i realy hate to think about how far a smart would have been thrown, or how badly injurd i would have been.

then i found a refrance to "smart tipping" it was riginaly on a smart owners website, but was removed because those that controlled the web site aparently did not like it. by what a short artical said it apears that someone flipped it by hand. but since the original source had been removed it is only a guess from what the sending page said. i guess smart tipping could replace cow tipping as amusement.

definatly not a vehicle i want to ride in thanks.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snap
I imagine that the Smart, being a lighter car, will slide along the road instead of staying in one place and crumpling as much as a heavier car.

However, to the person that likes accidents I suggest this place:
www.wreckedexotics.com...

It's way cool =)

Who said they liked accidents?!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
i'm not so sure like is the right term for it. acidents are of interest for me from th standpoint of what happens to the vehicals involved. things like type and severity of the damage. you would be amazd at some of the etreems in damage. i have seen some accidents where one vehicle has hrdly any damage compared to the other being barely recognizable. considering that in a typical week i was avoiding over 6 accidents, it tends to make sence.

i have seen up to 10 accidents just on one trip to work. it seems that there is always an accident somewhere. everything from flipped over trucks to cars hitting the gaurdrails. i have actualy witnessed so many accidents that i have developed an intrest in them from a safety perspective. i have even seen a 15-20' reefer do a mid-air pirouette, when it was cut off by a small car. cars slideing on their roofs, cars and vans rolling, i have even seen a van run into a brick wall. gee i wonder why i have an interest in accidents
, i have seen so many take place. just a sign that the highways here have way more vehicals on them then is a good thing. at one point we have over 8 lanes of highway in each direction. even with that many lanes both dirrections end up barely moveing dureing rush hours. i am lucky in where i get on trafic is able to travel at 120 kph+ where as the other direction is stop and go.

from what i have seen i would say that anyone who even consideres takeing something like a smart on the highway is insane or wants to die. you take enough of a risk just being in a vehicle why lessen your odds by driveing something that will be tossed around by even a realitively small vehicle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join