It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children "Buried Alive" In Hindu Ceremony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Link to Article - Children "Buried Alive" In Hindu Ceremony

YIKES! Talk about emotional scars. I know young children have little comprehension/memory, but this has got to make a major impact of their little brains. I have no problem with allowing religious ceremonies, no matter how outlandish they may seem to an observer, until non-consent comes into play. I know this will draw some criticism, but I don't even think tradition christian/catholic baptism is fair.

Religion forces a mentality that cannot be proven (the basis of Faith). It is my belief that if someone wants to accept something without evidence, this is their right. I do not, however, believe that these beliefs should be presented as fact. Typically either the religion's leader, the parents of these children, or both, are representing the beliefs as fact. This happened to me when I was growing up, and has caused me great mental anguish as I try to determine for myself what I really believe, and what I think I belive because I was told as a child that I'd go to hell if I didn't.

I think both the Hindu ceremony and the Catholic Baptism ceremony are very similar, at least on the surface. They both involve young children, and both seem to be forced upon the child by the parent or religions leaders without giving the child the benefit of making the decision themselves.

Now, before you get out your flame-throwers, let me throw this out. I do think religion and spirituality (more than religion for me) are very important. I am not saying the all children should grow up without any religious influence. This would be impractical and also determental to the child's development. The majority of religions has common foundations such as treating other with respect and honor. These are good values to instill in our youth. I believe that as the child grows, they should be told about the religion their parents accept, and told why their parents accept it. They should also be shown other options and be encouraged to seek out information from other religions as they grow. Then it should be up to the child to decide if these are the values and beliefs they would like to follow as they approach adulthood and become contributing members of their community.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
yes there are many nuts following what they claim to be Hinduism. Burying children alive is bad, very bad, no one should be forced into any religious ritual. however this burying themselves thing is not anything new, sages have been doing this for centuries, which is fine with me, if an old man wants to bury himself to get mentally closer to god then fine, but leave the children out of it.

I'm sure it is just as traumatic for these children as baptism can be for some. I was scared (you know what) when I got dunked. I thought the man was going to drowned me. I never like priests since then.

India should enforce a law to protect these children, but it's a fine line when you also want to allow people religious freedoms, still the children propably didn't choose to participate.

[edit on 4-14-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Wow this is Shocking!!

I've heard of some pretty wild stuff goes on in INDIA but nothing like this.
Weren't they burning women at the graves of their dead husbands before? Called this sati I think!

If you think that buring alive kids was bad check this out!!

Nine year old girl MARRIED TO DOG!!

SICK!!

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Wow. That is different.

I wish they had explained "why" they thought marrying the dog would rid the "evil spell." It's not like marrying the dog is going to make her tooth grow normally, or whatever "omen" told them about the spell.

The wedding - which took place on 11 June - was attended by more than 100 guests, who danced to the beating of drums and drank home-made liquor.

Maybe they just needed a reason to get together and knock down some moonshine. :w:

Once again... I don't mind the ritual (I think it's odd, but it doesn't bother me). What bothers me is how much say did this 9-year old girl have? None, would be my bet. Sounds like the "village jury" made this decision for her and her family. They say she will be able to marry again under the law, but how many men are going to be looking for the girl with a "bad omen" tooth that was married to a dog?

new topics

top topics

join