It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine chastises 'die in' protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Is this just grand? These Tulipwalkers are really put in their place by a good ol grunt serving HIS nation, not drinking at bars and living in a stoned kingdom!

CHEERS FOR THIS MAN!

Marine chastises 'die in' protesters

College senior in Iraq invites students to join him

After hearing of an anti-war "die in" protest at his university, a Marine serving in Iraq responded with a letter published in a student newspaper, inviting fellow students to exchange the comfort of their coffee houses for the hardships and dangers troops endure to preserve America's freedom and security.

"It's a shame that I'm here in Iraq with the Marines right now and not back at Ohio University completing my senior year and joining in blissful ignorance with the enlightened, war-seasoned protesters who participated in the recent 'die-in' at College Gate," wrote Marc Fencil, a major in political science, criminology and Spanish at the Athens, Ohio, school.

While you ponder this, I'll get back to the real 'die-in' over here. I don't mind."

[edit on 14-4-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Wow, I am shocked it was actually published. Usually you hear about student newspapers at universities "protecting" their students from "controversial" viewpoints which don't coencide with the liberal political machine.

'Course, only 20 people showed up to "die". That's actually remarkably representative of our current situation in Iraq. A very, very small number of the students, compared to the whole student body, "died". Unfortunately, that does show the terrorists that they have at least 20 allies at that university. I wonder if they celebrated when they read/saw/heard they converted another 20 of our nation's impressionable youths to side with them, the terrorists, instead of their country.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I see no issue with a Marine protesting protesters. Totally fine for him to do that in a country that has some form of freedom of speech.

He's wrong about his belief that he's actually fighting for U.S. freedoms in Iraq, but I support his right to state it.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
so i guess we have about 20 more names added onto the no fly/ no gun list then.

i aplaud this soldiers protest of the protest. proves that free speach isn't all that bad. he has shown we are all able to believe what we want, and protest acordingly.

i am glad that he feels that the war is justified. it will make it easyer to live with the fact that he may have killed someone. it is always easyer to live with when you feel you are in the right. perhapse this is why many viet nam vets are so hurt by what they did as mabe they did not belive they were right to be doing it. a good reason not to draft people.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Great article and great find

It's about time the "other" point of view gets some attention at a school.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
He's free to his opinion even if he's wrong.

Let's just say the military is not full of brain surgeons and rocket scientists.

Any army.

jako

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Yeah, that's the trouble with reality. It's always subject to one's own point of view.

That said, of course this Marine has the right to protest. Just as much as the protestors do. Both have valid points that need to continue to be made. The point being missed currently is that that Marine's duty is simply to secure the right of those protestors to protest without the fear of retribution.

Did we need to go to Afghanistan and Iraq? Eventually. Could we have done better? Absolutely. Will our current failings have long lasting negative effects? Of course, but also our current successes not withstanding the failings will also pay future dividends not only for America, but the rest of the free world.

So long as we can drill down through the crap in the future, the story of history will show that these military actions were for the better and not the worse.

Sadly, it will be of little consequence in fifty years since our economy will have collapsed by that time and we will have undergone significant regime change ourselves.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaosSadly, it will be of little consequence in fifty years since our economy will have collapsed by that time and we will have undergone significant regime change ourselves.

I don't believe this, the same thing was said in the 30's.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Great find Ed.

I can't believe he got his letter published in the school paper. That is usually the domain of the radical left.

BTW, 'tullipwalkers' ?

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

BTW, 'tullipwalkers' ?

Well Turdblossoms was taken.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Sadly, it will be of little consequence in fifty years since our economy will have collapsed by that time and we will have undergone significant regime change ourselves.

I don't believe this, the same thing was said in the 30's.

How ironic. This very thing actually did happen in the 30's.

top topics

join