It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAACP claims Bush is playing 'the race card'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

NAACP criticizes Bush on Social Security
WASHINGTON (AP) - Black leaders on Monday accused President Bush of "playing the race card" in his pitch to sell his proposed Social Security overhaul.
NAACP leaders Julian Bond and Dennis Courtland Hayes said Bush should focus on addressing the underlying health care reasons why blacks have a shorter life expectancy instead of citing it as a reason they should support his idea of private accounts.

Under Bush's proposal, money diverted by Social Security taxes into personal retirement accounts could be passed along as an inheritance. Under the current system, relatives of people who die before retiring sometimes do not receive Social Security benefits.

"Rather than playing the race card to set Americans against Americans, we urge the administration to address the long-term problems the system faces now," said Bond, the NAACP's chairman. "Recognizing the shorter life expectancy of people of color is commendable, but placing them further at risk is no solution."
www.sacbee.com...

It's pretty disappointing that Bush would much rather push the new Social Security reforms on the black population simply because they have a shorter life. Maybe he should take some of his energy and actually hire a panel to find out exactly why the mortality rates are higher.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The National Association Against Conservative (black) People is a joke.

Democrats don't want people to have a say in how they handle their retirement. I think partial privatization is needed, and is the first step to get rid of the failed social security system for good.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Ironic.

I have a huge problem with the NAACP, just like I do with the ACLU. They've both got great ideas and mean really well, but more often than not, they go way too extreme and start getting absurd. Accusing Bush of using a race card? Puh-Lease.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Well, this definately made me laugh! The NAACP saying Bush is playing the race card!

What can I say, I'm a fellah who loves irony, and that definately is ironic! I wonder if Kerry's going to come out saying Bush is talking too much about his time in Vietnam

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Wait, NAACP saying someone is using the race card? WTF? They ARE the race card, are they the only ones allowed to use race or what? Like the pot calling the kettle black.(pun intended) This is like the catholic church accussing Bush of playing the child rapist card, when that is what they are.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Like the pot calling the kettle black.(pun intended)

That was funny. I had to read it two more times after seeing the "pun intended" to get it, but then I was amused. Danke Schoen!

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Like the pot calling the kettle black.(pun intended)

No doubt. The analogy is a good one.

I think it's interesting that some of us who I know tend to be on opposing sides of many issues, all seem to be seeing right through this one.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
NAACP does nothing but make blacks second class citizens.

"We are poor, sad creatures, we deserve everything because we can't do anything by ourselves. We use to be slaves to the conservatives, now we are slaves to ourselves because we play the pity card instead of doing something about it."

One would think they would try to make blacks equal, not special. Instead of suing someone for not hiring a black person just because he was a HS drop out and the guy hired was a white college graduate who knew not to point the gun at his head, try to get the guy an education so he can get off welfare. Instead of suing someone cause they said the car was black cause black is bad, black is right up there with uh, really bad words, even though he was describing the color of a car. Instead of suing every white person because 150 years ago the person didn't own slaves, weren't even in the country at the time of slavery, but they white so they evil. These people would sue Lincoln if they could. What they should be doing is getting rid of special rules. No more "Lets see, got straight D's in HS, got the lowest SAT score in history, but he's black? Welcome to Harvard so we don't get sued." or "Hmmm, this guy has a PHD in physics, but this other guy who has a associates degree in mopping floors is black, he's hired so we don't get sued."

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

NAACP does nothing but make blacks second class citizens.

Yes, I agree with you there! This is also the reason blacks in large percentages vote for Democrats. They want to be taken care of, instead of taking care of themselves.

But, the enlightened ones, (commonly referred as Uncle Tom's by the left), are realizing that the Democrat Party and the NAACP wants to hold them back, so they can have a bigger constituency. The so-called Uncle Tom's realize that they can take care of themselves and prosper in this country, so now they are joining the Republican Party.

In fact the most powerful black people in the US today are Republican. Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, Condi Rice, JC Watts. Can someone name some prominent black Democrat leaders...without making me laugh?

top topics

join