It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UAV / UCAV Updates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Classified UAV Projects

Whether they are "classified", "top secret", or "black" projects, it is a certainty that there are undisclosed military UAV projects underway, the challenge of course is that there is just too much guessing and opinions and not enough facts concerning these projects.
I thought it would be interesting to consolidate some of the info that has been leaked out to the various forms of media in order to form a better picture of just what may be "out there".

Global Hawk - the nonaggressive UAV
Although the Global Hawk is not a classified project, I found the following information of interest.
The USAF does not desire to use the Global Hawk as a "hunter/killer" because they need it to be used in peacekeeping surveillance missions and it would be dificult if not impossible to get flyover rights from some countries if it was easily "weaponized".
Battle Brews over UAV Dominance, AW&ST; Jan 2, 2002
(No Link Available)

Above: Global Hawk with ground crew

Northrop/Scaled Composites Model 395/396
One of our own, ATS's Intelgurl has had... or does have something to do with this project out at Indian Springs Auxillary Air Force Base in Nevada.

Around the first of 2005 an accelerated development program was started to weaponize a UAV prototype based on the Scaled Composites Proteus designed by Burt Rutan.

on Thursday, February 24th 2005 Northrop Grumman successfully demonstrated the ability to release munitions from the Scaled Composites Model 395 UAV.

This event marked the culmination of work which took place at Indian Springs Auxillary Air Force Base, where after only a 30 day rapid prototyping process a successful proof-of-concept test for a new weapons delivery system took place.

Able to carry almost any weapon in the USAF inventory up to an EGBU-28 5,000-lb. bunker buster, the Model 395 uses the centerline of the fuselage instead of the wings to carry it's payload - this means it won't have asymmetrical load issues which can cause instability in flight.

The aircraft can carry multi-spectral sensors to detect and track targets and release a myriad of munitions to destroy those targets, thus reducing the time from sensory to kill, a process known as the "Kill Chain".

The Model 395 meets the DoD's "Hunter-Killer" requirements of being able to stay aloft for over sixteen hours with a 3,000-lb. external load of munitions and can stay aloft for nearly 30 hours if configured for the ISR (intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance) role.

Lockheed's "Minion" UCAV
From Lockheed Martin "Skunk Works" the DoD is or was developing an air-launched UCAV called the "Minion".
The Minion has a launch weight of 7,500 lbs and can carry an ISR payload, a jamming system, a high-power microwave weapon, or 4 GPS-guided small-diameter bombs. It can also be used as a decoy, though it would need to have radar reflectors on itsince it is described as being extremely stealthy.

Aviation Week & Space Technology
09/22/2003, page 32

Above: The super stealthy Lockheed Minion UCAV

Expanded Stealth Capabilities
One branch of research that is serving to enhance the survivability of future manned and unmanned aircraft is stealth across as many necessary frequency bands as possible.
There is not much information available about this research but suffice it to say that this research is aimed at negating the stealth-busting effects of longwave radar, PCL, etc.
Also, according to sources there is active development on visual stealth UAV's at various remote locations.

Many thanks to Intelgurl for much of this information, specifically the Model 395 info.

Bios

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I saw a great story on UAV's and such on Discovery a while back. That Global Hawk is stunning and simply amazing. It can fly over 13,000 miles!!! Nearly all GH missions fly out of the US. Even if its doing missions in Iraq!! Thats an out right amazing range.

These things are getting truly advanced

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Man, I like that Skunk Works UAV, looks really sleek and stealthy.
Also I remember watching a show awhile back on the history channel, where a reporter who had talked to the former head of the Skunk Works said the USAF has currently 16 aircrafts awaiting declassification and 12 were unmanned.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
not sure if everyone has seen this or not.

lockheed uavs

[edit on 14-4-2005 by ignorance is a plenty]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
anyone know what kinda uav this is?

heres a link to the page I found it at:

pao.navair.navy.mil...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Its the X-47 Pegasus a carrier based UAV. Here is a linkfor more information.

X-47

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
ok thank you very much

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I'm no fan of the minion, I think the AF should try and make things easier, not more compicated by adding another process.

If a stealth fighter or bomber drops a JASSM munition, the enemy wouldn't know what hit em, the minion promises something we allready have.

I find it a little wierd for a stealth aircraft to release the UCAV which will release the bomb.

As for the Global Hawk, Its of course impressive and the RQ-4B (which will fly in 2006) will be even more impressive.

The new RQ-4B Global Hawk is larger than the currently deployed block 0 systems, carries 50% more payload and provides two and a half times the available onboard power for sensor systems. The RQ-4B is expected to make its first flight in 2006.

However, I still think that the military needs to put more money into Airships, since they can remain over a spot for months...instead of days.

[edit on 17-4-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I think stealthy UAV's are just for high risk situations like tying to hit a target in a country with sophisticated SAM's why risk humans when you can test their air defense with stealthy UAV's. Then if their air defenses are crap you can use your fighters and bombers.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The real technological breakthrough would be completely stealth Gobal Hawk with nuclear engines able to loiter 6 months over target without refueling. No more need for satelites...

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
The real technological breakthrough would be completely stealth Gobal Hawk with nuclear engines able to loiter 6 months over target without refueling. No more need for satelites...

And when that happens I reckon we will all be very old men (and women)

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infidellic

Originally posted by longbow

And when that happens I reckon we will all be very old men (and women)

Maybe not
. Try this link :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It wont be the end of satellites but it would be a very affective surveillance system.

top topics

join