It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnamese Woman Tests Positive for Bird Flu, HIV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I've just run across this but I've got to shoot off to college.

"Vietnamese Woman Tests Positive for Bird Flu, HIV"

"Health officials in Vietnam say a young woman has tested positive for both bird flu and HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Doctors say the 21-year-old woman lives in Quang Ninh province, bordering China. She was hospitalized in early March with fever and coughing.

This is the first confirmed case of bird flu in Quang Ninh and the first simultaneous case of bird flu and HIV. The province has some of the highest numbers of HIV carriers in Vietnam, mostly drug addicts and prostitutes.

Since the end of 2003, bird flu has killed 36 Vietnamese, 12 Thais and three Cambodians.

Health experts fear the bird flu virus, usually contracted by contact with infected poultry, could lead to a pandemic if it changes into a form that could be easily transmitted among humans."

HIV + Bird Flu? What's that all about? Surely it is just seperate cases involving the same person?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
I've just run across this but I've got to shoot off to college.

"Vietnamese Woman Tests Positive for Bird Flu, HIV"

"Health officials in Vietnam say a young woman has tested positive for both bird flu and HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

HIV + Bird Flu? What's that all about? Surely it is just seperate cases involving the same person?

I think that probably they will use the HIV to say that her immune system was was compromised and that it made it easier for her to get the Bird Flu. Which is probably true - but I think that the spin on the story will be that it isn't easy to get Bird Flu unless you are elderly, very young or with a compromised immune system.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Already covered here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

thread closed

join