It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Infected With AIDS and Bird Flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
A 21-year-old woman in Vietnam has been infected with both the bird flu virus and HIV/AIDS. This is the first such case in Vietnam.

The Australian: Woman infected with AIDS, bird flu

A 21-year-old woman has been infected by both the deadly HIV/AIDS virus and bird flu, the first such case in Vietnam, health officials said today.

Nguyen Van Thich, head of the Centre for Preventive Medicine in the northern province of Quang Ninh, said the woman, the first to be diagnosed with both bird flu and HIV in Vietnam, used to work at a hairdresser's shop.

This can´t be good. Just a question of time before the virus mutate and cause a pandemic?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
thats quite the combo.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
this bird flu is nothing to play with and i hope the all health agencies put money away for this type of plague.if the bird flu is stronger that hiv ouch this cannot be good.........

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
She has also tested positive for an acute case of bad luck.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
something doesn't sound quite right there, but I guess it could be explained that she was never diagnosed with AIDS and was living with it for a while before contracting the bird flu and then getting diagnosed with both. Regardless that is a scary prospect of having these two viruses mutate. Good find Helmutt, you have a knack for finding news

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Stop me if I'm wrong but since both 'The Bird Flu' and 'AIDS' is an infection that is being housed in the confines of one woman, then what are the chances that this virus mutate into a new possibly sexually transmitted virus? This lady should be quarantined

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I have no idea whether the two viruses could combine and mutate to create a new virus. But until someone tells me otherwise or we have a resident virologist I'll keep thinking this way.

We know that AIDS sufferers often have secondary infections and pneumonia seems to be one of the problems for them. Whether its bacterial or viral pneumonia theyre more like to have problems with, I don't know. But so far in the 20 years that the general public has known about AIDS, I've never read that there has been a mutation of the HIV virus with say viral pneumonia to create something that is airborne and a risk to anyone who comes within breathing space of an HIV/AIDS sufferer.

Fiona.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Perfect example of a bad day

Im sorry that was tasteless

Any chance of her surviving this? Is there a time estimate?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
O well, if Bird Flu and the AIDS virus combine into an airbrone Virus, We are o dead by the time we discover it.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
chances are remote that a blood virus such as AIDS and a airborne virus would mutate to form a more deadly virus. If that could happen then anyone with AIDS coming down with any form of the flu or other airborne contagions could potentially mutate into something more deadly and to date that has not happened.

AIDS weakens the immune system rendering the host susceptable to any and all infections or viruses which is what winds up killing them in the end. AIDS doesn't do the killing.
I think we are safe from that

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm glad I live on an island, albeit a large one.

My paranoia levels would be up considerably if my country was bordered by another country.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Its is interesting, because you don't die from AIDS, you die from the flu or a cold.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Will the bird flu and HIV eventually trade-off genetic codes creating a whole new viral species that will wipe out all of men kid. Or the two viruses can kill each other off, which will be a good thing...but hey I lack knowledge in microbiology, im just saying...that would be a good thing.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't think at this stage that the two viruses could conbine but what will be interesting is how the virus affects the HIV. Many AIDS patients also contain flu virus, along with other viruses and bacteria that their bodies can't rid themselves of, having a zero immune system.

I would presume she is in isolation and will possibly die, so she won't be the index case that actually starts the human to human transmission, unless of course she already has done so before seeking treatment.

top topics

join