It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Senators Kerry, Lugar Out Undercover CIA Agent in Public Hearing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Senators Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.) and John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) blew the cover of an undercover CIA agent in Senate hearings discussing confirmation of John Bolton's nomination to U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. Despite Bolton's repeated referrals to the agent as "Mr. Smith," Kerry and Lugar continued to refer to the agent by his real name. During his unsuccessful 2004 presidential campaign, Mr. Kerry harshly recriminated the Bush Administration for allegedly leaking information about Valerie Plame, a CIA agent whose cover was blown in 2003.

www.washingtonpost.com
Senators may have blown the cover of a covert CIA officer yesterday.

During a hearing on John R. Bolton's nomination to be ambassador to the United Nations, Bolton and members of the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee referred to the analyst as "Mr. Smith." They were discussing one of the officials involved in a dispute over what Democrats said was Bolton's inappropriate treatment of an intelligence analyst who disagreed with him.

"We referred to this other analyst at the CIA, whom I'll try and call Mr. Smith here," Bolton said at one point.

But the committee chairman, Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.), and Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) mentioned a name that had not previously come up in public accounts of the intelligence flap.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, this is another CIA agent who needs to be reassigned due to carelessness on behalf of Washington politicians. I do find it ironic that Mr. Kerry is involved in this latest case after having decried it so severely when it was someone in the White House who made the mistake previously. The Senators will not face any prosecution since lawmakers are exempted by law from being charged with such mistakes (how convenient).

Related News Links:
www.nydailynews.com
www.guardian.co.uk

[edit on 4/13/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 4/13/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one is outraged over this, especially after the bickering over the Plame affair.

Perhaps the fact that both a Democrat and Republican is involved this time has something to do with the lact of "outrage."

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
No big deal....Homeland Security is taking over all C.I.A assets anyway! This agent will be reassigned and given a new "cover".

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
My question is this, if they are in such a position that their names shouldnt be made public, why do people like John Kerry even know their names? That whole need-to-know concept should be employed here, because unless Kerry had an immediate need to even know the persons name there was no point in even telling him, so perhaps its more of a overall snafu on the part of people not being more tight-lipped with such information.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This isn't a good thing.

But if you put your finger in the wind to see which the wind is blowing,
The Whitehouse did it intentionally with no repercussions,
Why shouldn't everyone else be free to be sloppy about it?

As shabby a job as the CIA did garnering and assessing information on WMDs in Iraq and pre-911 info, honestly who cares?

The CIA and FBI are simply tax dollar leeches that do nothing of any use for the American public.

As far as i can see we can reduce the federal deficit by simply disbanning these agencies and probably Military Intelligence along with them.

edit: typos

[edit on 14-4-2005 by slank]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm surprised no one is outraged over this

Some one is, darn tootin out raged about this!

More on that in a second.

Originally posted by alternateheaven
My question is this, if they are in such a position
that their names shouldnt be made public, why do
people like John Kerry even know their names?

Grrr, indeed why...
Well he is on the "Senate Select Committee" for "Intelligence", how ever, he has only attended a hand full of sessions. So djohnsto77, Kerry should have known better, but since he was practically never where he should have been he didn't know better...GRrr

Ok *deep breath*, now why any thing ever happens is still a mystery to me.
I'm going with controlled info/media, exept for most local news even then some times, it's a good bet. Some times, honest mistakes are made, but not when it is unhonest people making them. You'll find more honest working people at the circus, than in poli tics.

It isn't the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last. If those agents are smart, they will procure an id on their own, and start life over.
Any one remember, Face Off, shhh.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is sad beyond words.

Like spies or not, they are a way of life in the world. To 'out' one of your own is probably criminal.

Kerry always looked 'horse faced to me, now he's showing he's the other end as well.

Luger- gimme a break.

Both these guys are rats.

top topics

join