It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors Causing Fat Patients feel inadequate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Hello everyone I just wanted some opinion/facts/webpages reguarding on how doctors are causing fat patients to feel inadequate. Any help would be greatly apreciated!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I don't know about any of that, but as long as your BMI is under 30 then you're a worthwhile human being.

Anything over, and you're morbidly obese.

* Surgeon-General's Warning: Do not inhale MA posts unless you have taken your sarcasm innoculation. *

I thought the first two sentences taken literally might be a bit harsh on persons falling into the category of morbidly obese.

[edit on 13-4-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I don't know about any of that, but as long as your BMI is under 30 then you're a worthwhile human being.

Anything over, and you're morbidly obese.

* Surgeon-General's Warning: Do not inhale MA posts unless you have taken your sarcasm innoculation. *

I thought the first two sentences taken literally might be a bit harsh on persons falling into the category of morbidly obese.

[edit on 13-4-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

BMI doesn't mean anything...it just takes into consideration your height and weight. I know some guys who are around 5'9" and 240 pounds but around 8% body fat...and they get screwed over on their health insurance for being "obese" because of the scale. I think I'm on the high end of what's considered "healthy" for my height, just because I try to gain weight for athletic purposes and lift a lot...but I'm nowhere near fat. Those ranking scales are misleading, and only intended for sedentary individuals and not athletes.

[edit on 13-4-2005 by Shoktek]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Any information reguarding the following would be greatly appreciated!

Ideal body image, Promotion from media, Fashion

Prejudice from work, college

Pressure from health experts and weight diet programs

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
BMI doesn't mean anything...it just takes into consideration your height and weight. I know some guys who are around 5'9" and 240 pounds but around 8% body fat...

That would be a messed up looking dude in my mind. I'm 5'8" and wide as a door in the shoulders but I can't carry more than 200 pounds and look right. About 180 is perfect, though the Surgeon General even calls that obese.

I'm supposed to be something ridiculous like 155. Not gonna happen. Not since grade school anyway. Maybe when I'm dead a while.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
Any information reguarding the following would be greatly appreciated!

Ideal body image, Promotion from media, Fashion

Prejudice from work, college

Pressure from health experts and weight diet programs

I think all that is pretty well documented in numerous web articles and studies. Is the problem too many?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
Hello everyone I just wanted some opinion/facts/webpages reguarding on how doctors are causing fat patients to feel inadequate. Any help would be greatly apreciated!!!

Why would a doctor do that...Fat people mean money and money means power. Just imagine all the patients a doctor has to treat that are obeise related.

top topics

join