It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Smoke - Indonesia VP Asked People to Prepare for Krakatoa Disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
www.indonesia-relief.org...

Black smoke has came out of Mount of Child of Krakatoa (Anak Krakatau) in Sunda straits, west of Java, as the mountain has experiencing more than 32 volcanic quakes in the last two day.

[edit on 13-4-2005 by MattMarriott]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Can anyone tell me if Krakatoa was to blow its lid, how long would it take for any effects to reach the US? And what kind of things would we experience? Would ash fall reach all the way here?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Depends on the size of the eruption, ww. The eruption in 1883 had emissions that made it to the stratosphere - by the end of 2 weeks they had swept around the globe.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
thank god you're here val

how serious is this recent chain of events? And let's say Krakatoa has a major eruption similar to 1883, what would we have to worry about? Those with breathing problems should remain inside? Would we have to worry about contamination of any kind? Since I'm getting ready for hurricane season, I figure I might as well start thinking about what affects a supervolcano on the other side of the world might have on me.

And btw for those who may live in a hurricane area, it's best to start your supplies and preparation now in April and May than in June when more media attentions is given to hurricanes and prices goes up. One commodity that is always hard to find when a hurricane threatens and usually by June, is masonry bits for your drill. Stock up on early, when everyone else is going crazy, you stay calm and cool.

If you live anywhere near any of these volcanoes, like where you might be under an ash cloud for days, I would suggest treating it like a hurricane and always have supplies on hand.

[edit on 4-14-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Did anyone see Krakatoa-East Of Java?

I saw it at a DRIVE-IN when I was a kid. I wonder if I can still find that movie

Anyhow, I feel bad for the poor Indonesians...enough is enough.

Maximu§

new topics

top topics

join