It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

W. Va. makes English Official Language

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
Maybe I'm just being shortsighted but what exactly does making english the official language accomplish? It just seems like pointless legislation in my opinion.

Look at what happened in Quebec. Thier Language laws are insane, just hope it doesn't go that far down there

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Think about all the money that can be saved on paper and ink, just by not having to print things in any language other then english,

I Dont see how this, got over looked, I live here and have known of this for a couple years now, I was under the impression that this had passed 2 years ago,

I support this, But The question isnt why did they vote for, or or why was it necessary, the question is, why are they voting on laws they havent read in full?

Even though i support, the final decision, Id personaly have these incompetent morons fired for not doing ther jobs.

I can see it now all over the news "WV Senators vote, for mass genocide"

"WVsenator: oops i didnt know i voted to do that"

[edit on 14-4-2005 by C0le]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
Think about all the money that can be saved on paper and ink, just by not having to print things in any language other then english.

then you would HAVE to hire to train people to translate all that your writting, and let's remember it's not just spanish, depending on your community you would have to be fluent in cantonese, korean, Arabic, Spanish, Japanese and ect..... I think they just need to refine what they have now, EVERYBODY knows English is tongue of the land, does really doubt this???

now depending on your community's make you print out what you need as needed. and bilingual education should be made to emphasize going from a foreign language to english not just teaching everything in the person's native language and start uping the requiresment for english dradually so people get the point.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I like how I live in West Virginia, yet I only found out about the law via CNN.com.

I really don't have an opinion either way on the issue myself. It's not going to be enforced, so why even take the time to bother with creating a law?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Why the hysteria people?
I mean seriously why the hysteria?
Does anyone hear honestly think that any language even stands the slightest chance of contesting English as the main language in this country? What does this accomplish other then wasting the governments time paper and ink? There is no logical reason for this law it doesnt accomplsh anything it doesent make our lives better. Its like passing a law saying that water is officially wet I mean its not like theres some big mystery here people. English is the spoken language hereits not like you can wander through the city and not be able to figure out what the main language here.

The only reason there is a drive to create laws like this is because of the "hispanic issue". "Oh no the hispanics are overrunning our country! They refuse to assimilate! They're taking our jobs!" The same complaints voiced about immigrants in this country since its birth. See past the racism please people I know most of you don't mean it but realize the same things your saying about hispanics now people were saying about your ancestors when they just stepped off of the boat. Realize there is no reason to pass vindictive laws like this. Nothing has changed over time in this country other then ethnicity of those practing xenophobia.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join