It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking Intelligent Advice and Posting the Results (or: The Instant Debunk)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
One time. Just one time I would like to see someone post their story or 'problem' on this board and take the advice of those who respond, then in turn post the results/pics/data.

I have found that the members of this board are generally intelligent, discriminating, creative and inquisitive (with exception, of course). Time and time again they post great suggestions as to how to collect more information or to solve their 'problems'

But also time and time again I see people post their experiences, take questions and ask for help. The members of this board sound off, give great input and methods for gathering information, even give good solutions. However, the original posters only add to their already fantastic stories, always trying not to say 'too much' and generally seem unwilling to take the next step and totally ungrateful for the input.

Perhaps I have missed the threads where the original poster who has that black helicopter follow him everywhere actually took that picture and posted it up here for discussion. If so, please show me where that is. I'm sure there's a few out there, but I doubt there are many.

It therefore seems that there is a massive brick wall that discussions hit (sometimes after 20 pages or so) after all angles of discussion are explored and no new information/data/evidence is presented. I don't think I'm wrong then when I end up with an empty feeling of disappointment.

Taking it a step further, I think that any of these threads that don't offer anything by the way of hard (or hard-ish) evidence are kind of instantly debunked.

Any thoughts on this?

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

One time. Just one time I would like to see someone post their story or 'problem' on this board and take the advice of those who respond, then in turn post the results/pics/data.

It's happened before. One of the most recent cases I can think of was the "aliens in my backyard" thread. The poster had taken some night pics with his cell phone, of what appeared to be discs landed in a field.

We requested certain follow up info, and the poster replied with this info off and on throughout the thread. Even providing daytime pics of the area, etc. For most of us, this meant good evidence that the objects in question were the silhouettes of houses at the edge of the field. For others, it remained a mystery.

Still, the thread was an excellent example of such followup. Another example was the video by Worldblend of a UFO. Again, daytime pics were requested, provided, etc. In the end, for most of us, it remains in the "unexplained" category.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I think that any of these threads that don't offer anything by the way of hard (or hard-ish) evidence are kind of instantly debunked.

In a way they self-debunk. Too convienient to say 'nope, couldn't get any photos, even tho it happens to me every day' or 'why fill out a police report, it was just a brain sucking reptiloid running amuk' and the like.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Gazrok, could you post links to those threads? I tried a search but couldn't find anything. Might be useful to the discussion.

I agree with the self-debunking. Kind of what I was getting at. Its just disappointing when it takes 20 or more pages of discussion before they self-debunk.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I partially agree with you. The fact that the person does not return with any type of proof--even a scanned sketch they did on a napkin--does poke a massive hole in any report, question, or theory. I read a post yesterday about a guy whose 11-year old son drew a picture of something kind of strange in a parking lot. That's something that isn't copyrighted, and if nothing else can easily be faked. People asked him to post a copy of it, and as far as I know he hasn't.
However, there could be a couple of reasons why people don't post serious proof even if they're being completely honest. They may have been threatened by someone, either someone involved in a gov't coverup or by an EBE, or whatever. Who ever threatened them may know perfectly well that it's hard to take someone on just their word in this day and age--"Yeah, talk all you want, but the camera stays off." No proof, the witness looks like they belong on medication.
Another potential reason is that maybe the witnesses are scared of getting debunked. They don't want to look like they're crazy, but they still don't know how to deal with what happened or they want someone's opinion. There's a good possibility that the picture or footage they take will be denounced by an expert, even though it is real.
The last reason I personally can think of is that it's a highly personal thing for a lot of people--good or bad--and maybe by giving harder evidence it kind of steals the magic away. Especially if someone looks at it and says "Aw, that's just swamp gas." They know they've had a true experience. But then someone raises that doubt in their mind, and then they start wondering. Maybe people want to avoid that.
Of course, people could just be holding out on the evidence because there isn't really any to give. Maybe they're hoaxing and wanting to see what they can get away with. Maybe their camera truly busted as they were about to snap that ultimate picture. Or maybe it was over before they could get ready to take the picture. But I do agree that is does take credit away from their story, regardless of the situation.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
All great points there MCory. But isn't all that in a way why these boards exist. Whether or not its swampgas, whats the point of discussing it if there is nothing to go on besides a single first-person account. I understand that the process of debunking kind of takes the 'magic' out of it, but then so does a fantastic story that at the end of the day is just a story.

I see the members of this board constantly challenge people to raise the bar, as it were, but the stories rarely make the leap.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
well i for one don't tend to walk arround with a convieiant camera. i have missed some rather humarouse shots. one i would have given a lot for a camera.

i was on the way home from work the highway sign had "today your accident free day" on it. about 30 meters in front of this sign was an auto accident. it would have been one of those money winner photoes. it would have all fit in the frame rather nicely.

i have noticed that nothing cool ever hapens when you have a camera right handy. or you take a picture and someone points out that had you been faceing the other way you would have gotten an excelant shot of something. murphy has a bad habbit of showing up at the wrong moment

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You're absolutely right. I'm not condoning it in anyway--from my perspective, there's already been so many people that have come out and said they were abducted, saw a ship land, had a couple of beers with someone from Venus, whatever. Never a picture, video footage, or even a bar receipt. I understand perfectly well that someone's got a story they want to tell, they want an explanation of some kind, whatever. And even if one were to think of grabbing their camera as they were being extricated from their bedroom in the middle of the night, I really doubt the Greys (or whom/whatever) would be understanding enough to stop. I'm sure they have several other abductions to do that night, and waiting for everyone to grab a roll of film would completely throw their schedule off.
It's the stories of re-occuring events that I find problems with. It's kind of hard to believe someone when they say "this happens every day" and then all of a sudden it stops, right when people are asking for footage. Or their camera breaks or their scanner is in the shop.
But then, what can be done about it? It's a hard subject for some people to broach, and if the boards start getting too skeptical, then some people with valid testimony, perhaps even evidence of some kind, might be scared away. Of course, at the same time, by reading people's threads and asking for more evidence or more details, the people who are just telling stories for the sake of telling them are getting more attention and they'll keep on doing it. Is there a solution?

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The only solution I can think of is to ignore threads that fail to supply some sort of concrete or at least examinable evidence within, say, three to five pages of replies (which, I feel, is very generous). For the board members, I feel that challenge challenge challenge is a good way to go.

Really, if we are to "deny ignorance" don't we need all the data/evidence we can get? Isn't taking a story at face value ignorant in and of itself? I don't think its going too far to "cry hoax" if someone fails to answer questions/take advice/provide data/evidence whenever it is immediately appropriate.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with Gaz here. There are many cases of nonsense just thrown up with nothing to support it, but there are a LOT of threads with genuince thoughts, debates, and fantastic follow-ups by the members and the original poster. These almost always end on a happy note, whether the consensus is unsure, sure, or not even a consensus at all.

Stick around a bit more, you'll see one pop up in the next few days.

Also, I don't think ignoring is the best option. It's best, I feel, to face a problem head on, and if there's no evidence, say so and ask for it. Just be nice about it, and you might get somewhere.

[edit on 4/13/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The first thread gazrok was talking about was called "landed flying saucers from earlier today" (i think that's what it was called???)
It's one of my favorite threadz to go back and read, the input was awesome and funny alot of times. It is a prime example of what you are talking about. Here it is:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

enjoy

[edit on 13-4-2005 by scar]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Thanks for those links. Definitely helpful. Perhaps I was a little hasty when I was saying that it never happens. I probably would have been safer had I said "rarely happens."

Gotta remember to try to be impeccible with my word.

Still, I think I'm making a valid point here. So often it seems we're just sitting around the campfire telling stories. 'sall I'm sayin'

top topics

join