It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What difference would it make if we went back in time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
If someone were to go back in time and do something what difference would it make? It would not change or alter history since because you were already there and did all that stuff in the past befor you went into the time machine? So in other words it already happened. So you wouldnt be changing anything, just doing what you already did. So really what difference would it make?

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm going to go back to January, and make sure the jets make one of those FG's against the steelers........check ESPN later, and tell me how I did......

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I'm going to go back to January, and make sure the jets make one of those FG's against the steelers........check ESPN later, and tell me how I did......

I dont believe we can change the past, if it happened then you already went back in time and failed.

[edit on 4/13/2005 by Croat56]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
if you step on a bug you can change the future

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
if you step on a bug you can change the future

Thats exactly what I am trying to say is false. If the person who stepped on the bug did it years befor he was born and when he went back in time just fullfilled it. So see it doesnt matter what we do if we go in the past because it would already have been done anyway.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Nothing would change any ways, as some opposing force would respond by traveling back further to prevent the change. There by creating a responce by first group to also go back, in effect creating a time loop.

"Cause and effect, for every action there is an..."

That is of course speculative, as related to the hypothetical nature of "time travel".

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
croat56 is right. provided that time travel happened on a linier princible. if it was an alternate as some have sudgested then someone could indeed change that timeline but have no effect on our own.

for example if i went back to kill hitler. something is bound to happen beyond my controll so that i would ultimately fail. perhapse i kill a "double" (a stand in). otherwise hittler would have died already and i would be going back to do what i had already done.hmm mabe i just misstimed it and actualy did kill hittler but it was asumed that he comitted suicide.

while we can change what we do in the here and now, i do not believe that we could have any effect on the course of events. even trying to kill someone right now there are many things that can go wrong.

personaly as much as i would love to go back and document history, to make a correct version. i hope at the same time that it will not be possible. who is to say for example that someone tried to stop the vikeing raids but as they were trying to stop it that they do not instead cause it to happen. perhapse some of the worst things to happen were in fact caused by good intentioned time travelers who instead of stopping it, do something without realizeing that they in fact caused it to happen.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It really depends upon how you define the word Universe, is it really unified, is it really one Universe? Are their multiple universes that you would actually create as distinctive from the one you have left behind? In that case going into the future from that changed event would reveal another you continuing in life, the same other you that you could observe in the changed world. The drawback is that you might never be able to get back to the original Universe you had left behind, unless you went further back in time when the third you prevents the second you from creating the third you. Then you can go back to your own chronology in the future, completing the cycle.

It all gets so confusing though, which is why you see the dilemma in those Back to the Future movies. You might be well preoccupied setting things right, so why even try it the first time.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I have a question for you all. Awhile back I saw a show (NOVA I belive) about a concord that flew around the world various times faster then the speed of sound. They had an atomic clock on board, and when they landed, it was behind earth time by a very small amount.

I belive this was to show that the farther you get away from earth time speeds up, however I'm posotive that it was slow.

Can anyone explain what exactly they where trying to do?

And if it works, would it theoreticly be possible to travel back in time if you had an indestructible material and an unlimited energy source?

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat
I have a question for you all. Awhile back I saw a show (NOVA I belive) about a concord that flew around the world various times faster then the speed of sound. They had an atomic clock on board, and when they landed, it was behind earth time by a very small amount.

I belive this was to show that the farther you get away from earth time speeds up, however I'm posotive that it was slow.

And if it works, would it theoreticly be possible to travel back in time if you had an indestructible material and an unlimited energy source?

i have only vaguely heard of this type of thing myself. but the one thing is i do not believe that you could end up actualy going back pased the time that you left. as to what is hapening i would be interested in hearing more.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
i would be interested in hearing more.

I did a google search, but I couldn't find any more information on this. Hopefully someonw else will know more.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
hmmm i did some research on it a couple of years back... and read some articles about it.

They mentioned that there are 2 dimensions when you actually travelled back. One is real , the other is fake.

Example if i travel back to kill someone, and if i succeed the person will die. However it will not affect the present(now) because the dimension i travelled to is the fake one.

Hence anything i did in the past will not have any effect on the present here.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The atomic clock is not effectd by travelling away from Earth, but by the spped of the plane. Technically a guy in a car is aging slower than a man walking. However the differences are beyond our measurement capabilities.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
....But Marty McFly Went Back Into Time And Altered It....So Thus All Your Theorys Are Wrong.....

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Fox
....But Marty McFly Went Back Into Time And Altered It....So Thus All Your Theorys Are Wrong.....

I wonder if we can apply this theory to a recent presidential election?

Mag10

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Here is a thought about reverse time travel (going back in time)

Say I have a time machine. I meet (you) and tell you I am going to go back in time and photograph the roswell incident before anyone else can find it.

Now before I actually go back in time you very well know that I wasnt there, and that no such photograph exists.

So when I do go back in time and take the photograph, what happens?

Does the other person suddenly gain knowledge of this event?

One thing i have never understood.

I feel time travel into the future is possible, but not back.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat

what you are referring to is time dilation. check out my time dilation and the creation of the universe thread.

in said case the time was only altered in like the billionths of a second, a plane is just not fast enough.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
My idea is that you CAN travel back in time and you can actually CHANGE it but the difference would be very little because of the "Reaction" effect. Time is like a river. Throw a stone in a river and the ripples will apear but dissapear quickly. So if i went back in time to kill Hitler and succeded there would probably be the reaction of one of his generals taking control and dying the same day and time as Hitler. That means you can go back in time and change it but the outcome will be very low if not nill.

[edit on 14-4-2005 by Azure Twilight]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
What the plane with the atomic clock did was try to prove Einstein's Relative Theory, in which the closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time passes. Yet, the pilot didn't actually live more time, in respect to our average speed, yes, but at his speed, he still lives at a normal pace, but slow in respect to the average speed. It's a really weird concept, but it's really interesting.

I could explain more, but I only have a limited understanding. If you're really interested grab "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. Explains a lot really easily (for novices who don't understand much physics, not really much math involved).

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I'm no expert on time travel, but do find the notion fascinating.

The Grandfather paradox and others seem to throw up logical, or common sense, road blocks preventing travel back in time. However, could it be that our "common sense" notion of reality is, in fact, far removed from the actual TRUTH? Or at least a very, very limited, broadly generalized, interpretation of it? It seems the more that we learn about Nature, the further removed our understanding becomes from all that we experience in our day to day lives.. Serious, cutting edge science is beginning to enter the realm of the mystical and metaphysical. Much of what we are now beginning to observe in the Universe runs counter-intuitive and against all logic. But none-the-less, we're forced to accept it because there it is!

I'll not try to eplain it myself, as I'd have to understand it first. But, from the things I've read on the suject of time travel, there is a way of getting around most, if not all, the major paradoxes. It puts quite a strain on Classical (as in Newton and Einstein) thinking, though, and forces one to accept the Many Worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. If you are able to take that leap of logic, then amazingly the paradoxes seem to go away. Here's a decent article on time travel and some of the current day thinking on the subject:

www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk...

I hope you all enjoy it back in your place in time. I know we still do in mine ...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join