It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

former gang member takes on terrorists and insurgents.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

unbelieveble aint it? terrorists have to take on not just conventional troops but gangsters as well.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
And it seems there quite effective! Great news story!

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I really don't know how good of an idea this is. I mean some of these "gang members" have pretty long criminal rap sheets. You also want to know that you can trust soldiers to be loyal etc. Not referring to this guy specifically who was mentioned, but as a general concern.

The one positive here of course is that these gang members definitely do know how to handle weapons.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Wow this guy is pretty impressive. Military service has always been a good way to escape gangs and crimes provided you had manage to keep a clean record. Besides I remember a expose' a few years back detailing how bloods, crips and Gansta desiples had infiltrated the military and were ruining scams inside (extortion, guns, drugs). Growing up were he did like I did gives you cetain advantages for confilcts. A lot of the best cops that I've met were former knuckle heads who were able to escape their past lives. a lot of guys that did minor dealing or were involved with gangs while younger go on to become pretty impresive cops. In war you have to get and maintain your territory by terror and being ruthless. My friend's uncle manage to escape gang life and joined the NYPD he was even part of the mayor's detail for a while, this is a guy who still had some king tattoes on his body. But his experience made him more effective, he could bond with people better since he understood them and could put them up against the wall when he had to.

Anyways I think if they can find a way to effective screen out the guys who want a second chance military service would be very good way to turn a lot of ex bangers into a more productive member of our society, heck I think the military might even get more out of this then the ex-bangers.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Anyways I think if they can find a way to effective screen out the guys who want a second chance military service would be very good way to turn a lot of ex bangers into a more productive member of our society.

Now in that sense I'm 100% all for this. Sometimes people end up in gangs because of the circumstances they grew up in. If this can offer people a second chance, that's wonderful.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Great article. Id be willing to bet a decent percentage of gang bangers would be fantastic soldiers for the same reason Ruiz is.

Fearless and decisive. Thats what its all about.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oblivions void
In war you have to get and maintain your territory by terror and being ruthless.

Are you alleging that the US troops in Iraq are ruthless terrorists

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

In war you have to get and maintain your territory by terror and being ruthless.

Are you alleging that the US troops in Iraq are ruthless terrorists

I'm not calling the our troops terrorist and U dont exactly win wars by handing out flowers you know You win by deadly force (RUTHLESS) and fear (TERROR) now I'm not the kind go around whitewashing words. Some one is attacking you you blow their skull appart, we you fight you have to be ruthless and instill fear in your enemy. what ever respect (and/or fear) our militiry inspires in our enemies is not gained through our humanitrian efforts you know.........feel free to exchange Ruthless and Terror with what ever PC words make you feel better.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
One can tell that this was a project report, three pages is not much and worth the read.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Right on Sgt Ruiz!

We need more like him.

Max

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
Right on Sgt Ruiz!

We need more like him.

Max

Looks like his gangsta past added glory to Sgt.Ruiz's image.

I hate gangsters.

Jeez.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
if you look at Ruiz's right shoulder patch, he is an Army Special Forces aka Green Beret. they are very tough and flexible. compare to conventional troops.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

You are mistaken. He was not a "wannabe gangsta". He was from the "old streets", at least try to know the difference if you are going to be a "hater"...

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
His being an ex gangster shouldn't be glorified true, but his pass has given him an edge in Iraq that has save many lives, can we really have anything bad to say about that?

besides it's better having an EX-banger in Iraq flying our colors and keeping some of our troops alive for another battle then having him being a current member doing his thing in our streets and corners

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I hate gangsters.
Jeez.

I grew up in downtown Los Angeles (6th & Union) till I was almost 13 and the streets do harden you. I would rather have a street-smart soldier like Ruiz fighting the terrorists, that some NYU or Harvard sissy that has never even been punched in the nose.

Ruiz looks like E-8 material to this old soldier.

Maximu§

[edit on 023030p://333 by LA_Maximus]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I'm not calling the our troops terrorist and U dont exactly win wars by handing out flowers you know You win by deadly force (RUTHLESS) and fear (TERROR) now I'm not the kind go around whitewashing words. Some one is attacking you you blow their skull appart, we you fight you have to be ruthless and instill fear in your enemy. what ever respect (and/or fear) our militiry inspires in our enemies is not gained through our humanitrian efforts you know.........feel free to exchange Ruthless and Terror with what ever PC words make you feel better.

Well put, Oblivions void. My thoughts exactly.

Sgt. Ruiz is exactly the type of man we need in those situations.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

I hate gangsters.
Jeez.

I grew up in downtown Los Angeles (6th & Union) till I was almost 13 and the streets do harden you.

I grew up in tough hood, I was beaten up a few times and my friend was stabbed to death with a shank about a couple of blocks away from the place I lived. It was all youth gang related. If Ruiz has straightened his ways, more power to him.

After all, maybe you are right and the NYU and Harvard people should stay home and do something productive for this nation, and leave the shooting to Ruiz.

[edit on 13-4-2005 by Aelita]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

After all, maybe you are right and the NYU and Harvard people should stay home and do something productive for this nation, and leave the shooting to Ruiz.

Thats problem!!!

The NYU and Harvard crowd are actively trying to undermine this nation during a time of war. Im more afraid of a NYU/Harvard educated lawyer than I am of Al Qaeda, but thats another thread.

Maximu§

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This guy sounds kind of scary yet respectable.....a man who knows the rules wont break them but will do anything he needs to do to protect his men.

The scary bit that the officers seem to report to him...

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This is the kind of in depth objective journalism & integrity u can expect from embedded reporters
big up Ruiz still, the man's obviously on the right track, travelling around the world meeting interesting people & blowing their heads to pieces to protect the same system that creates the gang problem in the first place
peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join