It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: France: Compulsory Biometric ID Cards in 2006

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Djarums, thats fine though. Like thelibra has said, they do not get scanned remotely.

I also dont equate it with RFID cards either because you have a choice of using your credit card and the other cards you mentioned. You hava choice if you want to carry those cards and will not be jailed or fined if you do not carry them with you at all times. The Government (pre-Patriot Act) would have a hard time getting any of that information to track you without a warrant and damn good reason to spy on you.

But with these RFID's they can track any one they want and you have no choice at all. That is not the democracy that millions of our uncles, fathers and grandfathers died in protecting for us.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
One simple question: You have a bank account, use a debit card, or credit card, mythatsabigprobe?

Yes, I have all of those things. I also have the option to carry cash, trade and barter for goods and services and be anonymous if I want. I can stand on issues based on whatever my conscience dictates, without fear of reprisal. Pro life, pro choice, pro war, anti war, political rallies for whatever party I choose, political demonstrations against my government.

For those that think this is "just another card" and no big deal, look inside yourselves and tell me if you can honestly never imagine a time when you might disagree with your government's policies or actions? And what about your children - will they never have a reason to protest against their government?

If you don't think your government would use this thing against you, you're being very naive. Do you think your government feels threatened by car thieves and tax cheats, or even terrorists for that matter? The biggest threat to any government is the people themselves, 300 million of them in the US and if only 10% united in a common cause they could overthrow the government in a heartbeat.

I'm probably the most law abiding citizen you'll ever meet, but having my every move and action traceable will not make me feel safer and I will not live in a country where the people can no longer choose to dissent.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
When you apply for this card, they take your fingerprint and store it in a secure central computer together with your photo. The print is stored on the card too.

Okay, so it makes identity checking a lot more reliable if your're being checked at a security point by people who are equipment to make maximum use of the card. But print-scanners are expensive, and I seriously doubt that every store in America is going to get one, and those using identity theft are unlikely to try and use it in those sorts of places. More likely, they'll have a cheap remote scanner, because the faster you move people in and out of the checkout line, the more profit per hour you can make.

First method of identity and account theft: You walk up, swipe your stolen biometric card at the weak scanner, and it's ironclad proof of your identity. You can write checks from a stolen checkbook, pay directly from the bank account, or use whatever accounts were programmed into it. Buy your gas, groceries, etc... and no one will know till the charges show up, days or weeks later.

Second, more serious method of identity theft: Since the reader equipment is a lot cheaper than the creation equipment, you can simply buy a card reader, or make one from radio-shack components, wait for the decryption software to come out on a warez site. Viola! Every card you steal, you can simply read with your scanner to get their account numbers, social security number, residence, figerprint, photo, and any other information available. Your big-time identity theives will love this, because with enough subtlety and restraint, you could do it indefinitely without ever being caught.

Originally posted by paperclip
Nobody is tracking you, no country in the world has that much resources to track everyone at any given point in time.

Correction, no one is tracking you unless they take an interest in you. Then your every move is tracked. And it's not like it would take a lot of resources. You simply route the use-info to one server that stores each location for each person on the watch list. You then route the information to various filter servers, depending on what kind of information you want to know. Those filter servers can then send their info to another server to cross-reference things such as who lives at the address you just visited, or what kind of business it is and who owns it. Finally, the cross-reference and filter servers send their info to a report server, which packages it in a nice neat orderly format, easily readable, to be called up or printed out from any terminal connected to it.

You don't have to have a watchman on you 24 hours a day, all you have to do is plug a name into the watch server, and collect a report at your leisure. Considering the storage, processing, and bandwidth abilities of servers in America, I'd say you could easily have a very detailed watch list of 50,000 names per group of the above servers. Probably less, but I'm being conservative. Your average price for per group of servers would be about $1 million, but we'll say $5 million, to include the cost of software, bandwidth, extra storage, etc....

$5 is nothing. We've got "starving rich" who have $5 million, and cry about how poor they are on TV. I doubt the U.S. would need to watch more than 50,000 people, but say they want to watch ALL of them... Let's do the math.

America's population is approximately 295,884,656. At 50k people per server group, that's 5918 server groups. At a cost of $5 million per group, that's $29,590,000,000. Now let's just up that to $30 billion, to account for housing, electricity, and maintenance for these servers.

You can now call up the specs on anyone in America, in an instant, for as long as the system has been in place, for $30 billion a year.

That's a lot of money, but the Pentagon "loses" more money than that per year, and the buget is somewhere in the trillions... $30 billion is not only possible, it's easily hidden. Since the facility wouldn't be any larger than your average warehouse, you could fit it in a secure base, like Papoose or Groom, and the only people who would ever know would be the people who can check the database reports. Even the people maintaining the servers probably wouldn't know what was actually in the databases, their job would just be to maintain them. Every other step of the process can be automated.

This is why I am worried. It's not what the cards have already done or not done, it's the potential of the system for abuse.

[edit on 4/14/2005 by thelibra]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I am scared now...

Thelibra, you just put the things into a whole different perspective. Now I have to think more...

Ok, I see the danger of these cards.

I guess I was going along the line of "god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change"
We are not given a choice here. Nobody asked the people if they want the new ID cards or not. One day you wake up and your goverment tells you the new cards are compulsory. Deal with it.

Even if we do not have these new ID cards, we can still be tracked through a LOT of things we already have: internet, cellphones, credit cards, gym cards, library cards, cars, thousands of cameras on every street corner.... there is no escape.
So, I guess having one more thing isn't such a big deal.

Oh, one more thing to say here: the cards we got were financed by an american company (I don't know the name of it). Now France is doing the same to their citizens. I guess all the bickering between USA and France is only a show, behind the scenes Big Brother is very united to spread its technology.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I don't know what can be done except keeping an eagle's eye on legislation attempting to pass such a thing, and fight it. The biometric ID card, albeit just one more card, is dangerous in that it has one unified point of contact, whereas it would take a lot more resources to reroute and channel the existing information.

I've got to think hard on this one. Perhaps something can be done.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join