It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA project to trace human steps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   

A project spanning five continents is aiming to map the history of human migration via DNA.
The Genographic Project will collect DNA samples from over 100,000 people worldwide to help piece together a picture of how the Earth was colonised.

Samples gathered from indigenous people and the general public will be subjected to lab and computer analysis to extract the valuable genetic data.

Team leader Dr Spencer Wells calls the plan "the Moon shot of anthropology".

news.bbc.co.uk...

I am really interested in human migration and I always wished that some one would actually do some thing like this. Some might see this as a waste of money but I think that it would be worth it in the future.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
What would the gain be? You said that you think it may be worth it in the future. Curious of what you think the gains may be.

To me I think we do things like this for proof of whom being right. I'm into history but I think we spend too much time digging into the past than trying to better ourselves for the future. I know that the past can help achieve this but many of the things cannot.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I believe, for the most part, research into man's past is mostly to satisfy our curiosity. There are many things we do that may or may not help us in regards to this, however, I see nothing wrong with spending a little bit of money on this. I'm sure that if research was done, it would be found that the amount of money spent on trying to better ourselves for the future is far, far greater than the amount of money spent on researching our past.

And I guess one could always argue that we may discover something in our past that helps save our future.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
What would the gain be? You said that you think it may be worth it in the future. Curious of what you think the gains may be.

To me the gain would be knowing the truth. With this research it would actuall prove some theories and disaprove theories of human evolution. It could help us in some ways like the above poster said

And I guess one could always argue that we may discover something in our past that helps save our future.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
To me I think we do things like this for proof of whom being right. I'm into history but I think we spend too much time digging into the past than trying to better ourselves for the future. I know that the past can help achieve this but many of the things cannot.

"Those who don't know their history are bound to repeat the mistakes." Not sure who said that.

I think the main reason we are so interested in history, because that it is one thing we know for sure has happened. Present is happening as we talk and future is just hope.

Surf
Surf

top topics

join