posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:16 AM
This post is design to clarify the role of the E-4 for ATS members. The E-4 Airborne Command Post, is a survivable emergency command post for the
National Command Authorities (President, Secratery of Defense, National Security Advisor, and Joint Chiefs of Staff)! It is design to work with the
E-6, which forfills the Looking Glass mission for US Satrategic Command. The E-4 would form the core of the US responce in times of crises. The
aircraft is equiped to transmit the PAL codes, and the Go codes to US Strategic Forces.
The fallowing Hypothetical Senarieo shows how the two planes would work together ( I barrowed it from a video on the History of SAC and US startegic
1. The JCS send out a coded message notifing US Strategic command of an Increased alert!
2. An E-4 from Offut AFB, Nebraska, is foward deployed to Andrews AFB near DC, to stand on "Hot Ground" alert.
3. Nuclear forces are moved to dispresal bases.
4. An E-6 Looking Glass is deployed on airborne alert.
5. Tention increases rapidly and the JCS order an airborne alert. A portiong of US bombers are launced and deployed to foward attack positions.
6. Ground base mobil command systems are activated.
7. NORAD warns of a launch of enemy Missiles.
8. The NCA is gathered at Andrews AFB, and sent Airbrone in an E-4 to assume command of US forces.
9. CinC STRATCOM orders a scramble of Strategic Forces, and then goes airborne in Looking Glass.
10. The incoming attack is confirmed by NORAD.
11. The President orders a retalitory strike, and "The Football" is opened aboard the E-4.
12. Communicatios staff aboard the E-4 transmitt the "GO" codes and the "PAL" codes to US forces.
I know it's a long post. Hopefully, it makes the role of the E-4 more clear to ATS users. the bottom line is this: The E-4 is not a VIP aircraft like
AF1, is was design strictly as an emergency command post. It includes anti-missle defenses, Thermal and Nuclear Flash protection, a radiation sheild,
and Advanced EMP protection. It lacks all the comforts and extra trimmings of the VC-25A (AF1).
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance