It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 26,000 Indonesians Evacuated as Volcano Rumbles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
The Indonesian people have had enough bad luck already with the tsunami and recent earthquakes, now a volvanic eruption is a real possibility. Thousands of residents on the island of Sumatra have been evacuated as the pressure inside Mount Talang builds due to recent quake activity. Scientists have been warning authorities of the increase in seismic activity since Boxing Day.

Local officials have reported a shortage of tents for temporary shelter of evacuees and problems with fresh water supplies.

www.reuters.com
TANJUNG AUA, Indonesia (Reuters) - More than 25,000 panicked residents have been evacuated from the slopes of a volcano on Indonesia's Sumatra island and officials raised the alert level Wednesday as the mountain's activity intensified.

The heightened rumbling of Mount Talang has coincided with a string of moderate earthquakes on Sumatra, which is still recovering from a massive Dec. 26 quake and tsunami that killed nearly 130,000 people in Aceh province to the north.

"The status of Mount Talang is now at top alert," Surono, a vulcanologist from the Directorate of Vulcanology and Geophysics in the Java city of Bandung, told Reuters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Since the December 26 earthquake, Indonesia hasn't stopped shaking. Now the faultline running through the region seems to be causing volcanic activity.

Is this another sign of the instability of our fragile earth?

Local officials say 26,000 people have been evacuated from the slopes and areas around the 2,690-metre volcano, adding that number is likely to rise.

Witnesses saw sparks of fire coming out of Mount Talang early on Wednesday morning.

"It was like the end of the world," said Syafrudin, 65, a farmer, after fleeing from the mountainside. "I first heard the rumble and then the ground started shaking ... then there's smoke and sparks. We all ran in fear."

www.abc.net.au...

[edit on 13-4-2005 by Jubilee]

[edit on 13-4-2005 by Jubilee]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Another 'biggie' was Krakatoa at the southern end of Sumatra.

www.drgeorgepc.com...
It has been estimated that at least 21 cubic Km (appr. 11 cubic mile) was ejected from the eruption of Krakatoa and that at least 1 cubic mile of the finer material was blown to a height of about 17 miles (27 Km). The volcanic dust blown into the upper atmosphere was carried several times around the earth by air currents. This volcanic dust veil not only created the spectacular atmospheric effects described previously but acted also as a solar radiation filter, reducing the amount of sunlight reaching the surface of the earth. In the year following the eruption, global temperatures were lowered by as much as 1.2 degree Centigrade on the average. Weather patterns continued to be chaotic for years and there were major climatological changes which affected the entire globe. Temperatures did not return to normal until five years later, in 1888.

Dr. George Pararas-Carayannis' page has indepth information.

Tie this all in with the very ancient 'rumors' that Atlantis was really located in the general area and destroyed by earthquake/volcano and the basis for another shift in the earth seems likely.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Mother nature is rumbling slowly awake here. But what about the people? and what about those countries trying to help. Sadly we oonly so much aid to give them and i have a feeling this is going to be a problem across the globe soon.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Well I sent an alert for this submission (cost me 10pts???) and I can't understand why there's so little interest in the story. 26,000 people in danger from a volcano and our top news story is about silicon breast implants?

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
UPDATE[/b

A second volcano has come to life on the island of Java. There are fears that the archipelago's geological forces will unlease a new disaster.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
could it be?
the general consensus is that Mount Talang rates a 2 or 3 on the scale of 10
as compared to potential Regional Calamity of a strong 8-9 on the 10 scale for Toga or even Krackatoa or like Pinatoubo did in the past??

this quote from link by Jubilee above

Talang has had at least four major eruptions, all in the 19th century,
and three smaller eruptions in 1981, 2001, and 2003.

Indonesia has more than 130 active volcanoes and endures daily seismic jolts attributed to the Pacific 'ring of fire'
[...]

appreciate your alert,
i'm guilty of having just a fleeting interest, attention span...

which is why i'll now go to Pistol Pete->Toga-SuperVolcano in Sumatra...(thread109035/pg1)

then Indy->...(thread133676/pg1)

lots of news & reporters are un & under-appreciated, keep plugging away

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

which is why i'll now go to Pistol Pete->Toga-SuperVolcano in Sumatra...(thread109035/pg1)

then Indy->...(thread133676/pg1)

lots of news & reporters are un & under-appreciated, keep plugging away

I second that. From what im assimilating, our earth has become 'alive' if you will, its a good reminder that our celestial rock isn't all quiet and friendly. So I thank you for keeping me informed.

mhm

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This from www.volcanolive.com...

Wednesday 13th April 2005
Krakatau volcano has been raised to alert level 2.

Wednesday 13th April 2005
The alert level has been raised to 3 (out of 4) at Tangkuban Parahu volcano in west Java, Indonesia.

Tuesday 12th April 2005
Talang volcano in Indonesia erupted this morning, with ash to 25,000 ft. Talang volcano is located in Sumatra, close to recent large earthquakes.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I've been trying to find a seismic station in the area to monitor it, but can't find anything. Does anybody know of an online monitor that covers this area?

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
As life goes on, I'm thinking this planet needs a good disaster. Right here in America and Europe.

Something to get people to realize all their petty liberal/conservative/political/economic/religious BS is just that-meaningless in the real world.

I'm sick of folks being more worried about political correctness than truth. More concerned about Big Media's words than what their eyes tell them. More worried about personal agendas and artifical conflict, sexual orientation, or genetic heritage.

Mother Nature doesn't give a *damn* about all this pettiness. Political correctness doesn't help you survive when the sky goes black and the ground moves like the ocean surf. Superheated gas doesn't give a rip about which power bloc tells the most convincing lies. Magma buries straights and gays and incinerates their dreams egually. Lawyers cannot sue the choking clouds of ash that strangle them.

In order to survive, those who live off the truth of their existence will survive, just as in the beginning of human civilization. Parasites upon their fellow mankind will die, and the definition of who is a parasite and who is not will not be the decision of laws or religion of mankind, but of the physical realities of the world. All those "nut jobs" whose faith is based on their life experience and not on what is trendy and beneficial in society, those who stashed away supplies and camped out in the mountains, just might be the world's new best friends. Hell, canned beans might just be the next currency standard-food *and* fuel!

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
Another 'biggie' was Krakatoa at the southern end of Sumatra.

True, and even bigger was Tambora which lowered the elevation of the volcano by four thousand feet and also effected global temps in the Western Hemisphere. The year without a summer.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jubilee
Is this another sign of the instability of our fragile earth?

I think it's a sign of the instability and fragility of human civilization. The planet Earth is one tough ball of rock & magma; it can survive anything, by human standards.

There are simply some places on the Earth's surface -- I think the island of Sumatra is a good example here -- where humans were simply not meant to inhabit.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I still can not believe that some people are saying that nothing is happening, to me the entire area of has awaken to a major event and we are going to become witnesses of what is happening.

I will point out that Is a super volcano in the area also along side the Sumatra fall line is called the toba caldera.

Our earth is due for some major changes and for what some fosils of extincted animals has shown so far some of this changes comes very fast and without many warnings.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
this is looking to be a rather interesting year for the ring of fire...
I really hope the "opposition" effect doesn't occur.
The opposition effect would dictate that at the opposite end of the continental plate, a similiar change will occur some amount of months or years later (geologic time scale) the opposite end of that plate appears to be along the US west coast, and hawaii (please correct me if i am wrong) so it would affect the whole of the pacific volcanic ring area.

In the big picture though... this is all very natural and neccessary. If it didn't happen then our planet would devolve to a "mars like" environment
lesson: try not to set up housekeeping on the side of a live volcano. you might have to move... FAST...

lets all just hope that the chernobyl meltdown isn't causing any of this (china syndrome) and that it is truly natural.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I know it's India Daily, but it's still an interesting read, just keep in mind it's in the editorial section (opinion only)
Recent Sumatra earthquakes precursor to probable mega Volcano in 2012 that can end human civilization

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Good link worldwatcher, I tell you we are going to become extinct like the dinosaurs before us.

Earth is going to get rid of us for polluting so much.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
www.volcanolive.com...

It says at the top: "Breaking News... Talang has erupted."

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
From CNN :

AIR BATUMBO, Indonesia (AP) -- Scientists have warned hikers and visitors to stay away from two more Indonesian volcanoes, a day after another volcano spewed ash on disaster-stricken Sumatra island and forced the evacuation of some 25,000 people.

Sensors on the slopes of the two mountains -- Anak Krakatoa on the southern tip of Sumatra and Tangkuban Prahu in Java -- picked up an increase in volcanic activity and a buildup of gases, government volcanologist Syamsul Rizal said on Wednesday.

*snip*

"Volcanoes will be affected by stress on the earth and changes in stress may trigger eruptions earlier than we may have expected them," Gibson said, adding that he expected there to be many small and large aftershocks from the earthquake.

Scientists on Wednesday raised the alert level for Anak Krakatoa and Tangkuban Prahu -- which regularly spew gas and rumble -- from "normal" to "warning," the middle of three alert levels. This means the volcanoes are declared off-limits to hikers, but authorities are not ordering the evacuation of villagers living on their slopes.

Does that make three or four volcanoes in the region that show increased activity?

B.

CNN

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
i dont see an end to this. plates have shifted causing more than just earth quakes.from this area of the world it is at a boiling point of problems and needs to be addressed.someone going to have to start thinking about stopping these plates from shifting.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Easy now people. While these events are dangerous to those who have, as one of you put it, "set up housekeeping on the edge of a volcano", the earth has always been somewhat dynamic geologically. That doesn't lessen the severity nor the urgency of the situation but before we go thinking that everything has been just peachy until now and this is the first time that things have gotten close to being this bad, lets look at some of the links we have posted about worse situations just in our recent history.

Because modern civilization has enjoyed, and I think thrived because of, one of the calmest periods both climactically and geologically in the history of the planet, we tend to think new upheavals are the worst its ever been. Because it is difficult for humans to see beyond their own minute time of existence, we sometimes blow things a little out of proportion.

While I agree that this situation is leading to something serious, lets not all go a runnin' to the hills thinking this is because of something man did. We are but fleas on the back of a vary large planet. What many cannot and will not accept is our own powerlessness to influence it. We're along for the ride. The absolute best we can do is make good decisions in how to coexist and help those who fall victim to it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join