It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

W. Virgina Lawmakers Pass English Bill (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
During a legisative session for the state of W. Virgina, an amendment was inserted into an unrelated bill. It wasn't until days following the legislation period that this amendment was realized to have been passed. There had been previous attempts in the past decade or so to pass a similar bill. These attempts were unsuccessful.

www.cnn.com
CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- Two days after the end of the legislative session, state lawmakers are discovering something few were aware of: They voted to make English the official language of West Virginia.

The language amendment was quietly inserted into a bill addressing the number of members that cities can appoint to boards of parks and recreation. Among mundane details about record-keeping, the amendment adds the provision that "English shall be the official language of the State of West Virginia."

Senate Majority Whip Billy Wayne Bailey successfully offered that change to House Bill 2782 amid a flurry of bills moving back and forth between the House and Senate on Saturday, the last night of the 60-day legislative session.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally, it doesn't affect me. I am an english speaking Michigander. I do think that if you are going to come to the US to live you should be able to speak the language. However, the one thing I find disturbing is the fact that the bill was passed without knowledge of a majority of people. It is also a bill that has been shot down in the past and now seems to only have been passed by sneaking it into another bill.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Amending certain provisions into unrelated bills happens all the time in state and federal governments. I'm happy that English is being protected as our official language, since Spanish is making an insidious attack on our culture and language. If we don't take steps to protect our English heritage, soon people will find we can't get regular, everyday jobs without being bilingual. I applaud the effort undertaken by West Virginia.

/* edit: this is a bit ironic due to the story, but please fix your writing, especially the spelling of Virginia */

[edit on 4/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Well, it just goes to show you lawmakers are frequently not reading what they are voting for. The simple fact that this happened should be an eye opener to everyone. There should be safeguards in place to prevent such occurances.

Looking at the history of this issue in this State I would expect an amendment will come to reverse it at some point, but the real problem is the fact that last minute amendments can be presented without one member of the governing body stopping and taking the time to read it.

What I find most unfortunate is the fact that any Bill at a State of Federal level can be adulterated with provisions that have nothing to do with the intent of the Bill. At the Federal level it is frightening the amount of unrelated items that are passed this way, or kill passing of an otherwise worthy Bill. Seems to me this could be so easily rectified but no one will do it because the opportunity for abuse is something everyone wants available to them.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'm still confused as to what freaks everybody out about making English the national language? Do they see it as racist?

English is the official language of India AND South Africa! Those two nations were ruled by a foreign imperial power but still put their heads together and did what is best for their people by simplifying the bureaucracy by adapting a common language.

So far only California and now West Virginia have English as the official language. I don't care what the official language of my country is as long as it is standard. Having three languages on my passport is annoying and unnecessary.

Make it Esperanto if you have to!

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
djohnsto77

I agree. In Texas and many other states that have a large Hispanic population people can easily be passed over for a promotion and often not even hired because they are not bilinguel. Sounds like discrimination. But it's legal because of no official language.

If English was made the official language this would be illegal.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
djohnsto77

I agree. In Texas and many other states that have a large Hispanic population people can easily be passed over for a promotion and often not even hired because they are not bilinguel. Sounds like discrimination. But it's legal because of no official language.

If English was made the official language this would be illegal.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The West Virginia Governor vetoed the bill. Yep, he is a Democrat.

top topics

join