It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETT - The Search for Extra Terrestrial Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Found this interesting story on new scientist of a new project in the works by some of the good folks at SETI. This new project will try and detect alien intelligance by detecting the transit of artificial objects, like solar sails in dwarf star systems.

www.newscientist.com...

I like this idea, and it seems a plausible way to do it, considering what the next gen telescopes are capable of.. I can't wait till this gets off the ground

apc

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hahaha.
We become the newest member of a steadily growing crowd gathered in wait of the 83947 Reticulan Solar Races. I wonder what 1st prize will be

Unfortunately the article implies the need for an intent of detection on the part of ET. Nice idea and if we're lucky it will prove a good one, but personally I dont see any reason an advanced civilization would go through the trouble of tossing a few planet sized objects into orbit around a star just so an inferior species such as ourselves would be able to detect them. Such a civilization would likely have discovered means of communication far beyond what we know, and would probably already be in contact with several other planets using this technology. However if we can see ourselves some day doing such a thing (putting symbolic sails in orbit around a star) for the purpose of letting a lower life form know that we exist, maybe someone else would too.

I think it would be truely awesome if we discovered a dyson sphere or a solar ring or some other highly advanced solar energy collector. If we are correct in our (or maybe its just my
) assumption that the universe is and always has teemed with life, logically many species would have reached this level of advancement long ago.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

If we are correct in our (or maybe its just my ) assumption that the universe is and always has teemed with life, logically many species would have reached this level of advancement long ago.

Actually I think more and more scientists are starting to think that way, there is still some stubbornly holding on to old ideas but they are dying off quickly. We have found life ALL over the Earth in places we never even expected(undersea vents and under the ice in Antarctica)

I hope they detect a transiting solar sail spacecraft, they are theoretically spottable around a dwarf star, it's a long shot but the whole Seti thing has always been that way. The more they branch out the better the chances of actually detecting something, like a Ringworld or Sphere like you said. That would be fricken awesome discovery.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

If we are correct in our (or maybe its just my ) assumption that the universe is and always has teemed with life, logically many species would have reached this level of advancement long ago.

Actually I think more and more scientists are starting to think that way, there is still some stubbornly holding on to old ideas but they are dying off quickly. We have found life ALL over the Earth in places we never even expected(undersea vents and under the ice in Antarctica)

I hope they detect a transiting solar sail spacecraft, they are theoretically spottable around a dwarf star, it's a long shot but the whole Seti thing has always been that way. The more they branch out the better the chances of actually detecting something, like a Ringworld or Sphere like you said. That would be fricken awesome discovery.

Even if we recieved a signal from ET, chances are he's probably going to be to far away for any productive communication. Say for example, If ET is over a thousand light years away from planet earth, even traveling at the speed of light, our humble reply would take another 1,000 year to reach him. After two or three thousand years, the conversation starts to get a little boring. With that being said, I think we had a good ET radio signal candidate in 1977 when we picked up a strong radio signal coming from the center of our galaxy called the 'WOW' Signal. It had all of the right characteristics, a strong signal with the right signal profile coming from deep space. We just were not able to pick it up again to confirm where it actually came from and who sent it.

Mag10

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
the idea might be more to see if anyone is out there first than try and communicate.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrpaddy
the idea might be more to see if anyone is out there first than try and communicate.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Hopefully we can detect a solar sail built by aliens that would be neat imo, and would signify that said ET was not that much more advanced then us.

join