It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jessica Lynch's homecoming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I've been reading some pretty brutal news stories concerning this soldier's return. I wonder at the pressure this 20 yr old woman must feel having to live up to the name "Hero" and the controversy surrounding what happened or did not happen. I am curious if the people who are accused of sensationalizing the story of her "capture" assumed that people would forget what happened.
The public has become like so many sheep, blindly following and believing what they are given. Honestly, I do not know what to believe anymore. Is there anywhere one can look to get honest news and information anymore?
Regardless of what really happened to Ms. Lynch, I wish her the best and hope she is able to navigate the upcoming months/years and still maintain her identity and dignity.

Peace,

Beergoggles

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 10:10 PM
link   
There have been posts on the disputed nature of what she survived, and the media's presentation of the supposed rescue, here in the past couple of months.

ATS search for 'Jessica Lynch' and 'P.O.W.'

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Good thoughts, BTW, beergoggles, and thanks for the U2U.

When you feel inclined you might introduce yourself in the 'Introductions' Forum.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
i dont think of her as a hero. no offense meant by this but she was in hostile territory and while they had a mishap and got caught that comes with the job of working in the military. she was doing her job. should we welcome back those who survive? absolutely.

should be place them on our shoulders and automatically call them heros? i dont think so but some will disagree.

when you join the military it is an assumed risk that you might be put into harms way. its called "part of the job" and i dont see why people should be called heros for just doing their job as much i dont think fire fighters should be called heros for saving people from a burning building, its their job and they deserve our appreciation but they are still doing the job they signed up for. same thing applies to cops. they will run into criminals who will shoot at them, but they arent heros for this, they're just doing part of their job.

i respect anyone with any of these careers but dont expect me to put you on a higher plane of herodom just because you're doing your job.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I can agree with your alot of your comments on this Prank.

I think it is getting way to blown out of proportion....thanks to the media/press!

Where the hell were they when all those in Vietnam came home and the untold horrific BS they endured? Where were they when the POW's from above said war were released and returned home.

I am almost of the conclusion that between the military and the media "bigshots", the President is merely a 'figurehead.' Who really has the power in this country.......? I'm leaning towards the 2 above mentioned verses "we the people".....!

Sorry for my ramblins'.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I agree with Monkey

If I want to be a hero all I have to do is be captured in Iraq?

If your captured your a bad soldier in my eyes.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
I agree with Monkey

If I want to be a hero all I have to do is be captured in Iraq?

If your captured your a bad soldier in my eyes.

bingo!

just like having a purple heart is, in my opinion, having an enemy sharp shooter medal.

getting caught means you're a bad soldier and while she wasnt trained to go out and kill (i blame the military for not having all MILPER combat ready who might even remotely come close to the fighting) what happened to her does not warrant calling her a hero.

what about the seals that went in and extracted her? they get MAYBE a pat on the back and she gets all the attention and for what? getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

and i am beyond tired of the media in general making heros out of people who quite frankly dont deserve it.
i think more than anything, she's been made into a hero because she's a female not because of what she went through.

if it had been a guy this MIGHT have been a honorable mention on the news and that would have been that. why? "well he was just doing his job" and yet it seems if a woman does something everyone has to "celebrate" it by giving the female special recognition. which is pretty much an insult to all the guys who do it every day and never get mentioned as much as the jessica lynches the media hype. thats not to say they should somehow get a "heros welcome". they're just doing the job they signed up for, just like her. noone deserves to be called a hero with a job like that.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yeah, yeah, I started a thread on this yesterday afternoon and was told it was a repeat thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Any mod want to consolidate the threads?

top topics

join