It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Labs Urged to Destroy Pandemic Flu Strain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
VERY frightening stuff! I think it's just a matter of time
before someone gets ahold of some highly potent germs
and lets loose with them.

I think I remember reading a fiction book a while back
about a super flu that gets loose and kills most people.
I think it was Steven King ... and the good people went
to Boulder CO and the bad ones went to Vegas. Anyone
remember the name of that book??

The book would be "The Stand" by Stephen King. There have already been several highly potent germs that have been let loose on the public Bio-terrorism, ring a bell? Smallpox, Anthrax, SARS, just to name a few.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I guess it's the conspiracy theorist in me.... but I find it hard to believe it was an accident. The news reported this was the same strain that killed millions back in the late 50's.....Shouldn't these vials been destroyed years ago?
Hope they don't get in the wrong hands.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
UPDATE-

Two-thirds of virus shipments destroyed, two still missing, World Health Organisation Says.

"GENEVA (AP) - Health experts have destroyed two-thirds of the specimens of a killer influenza virus sent as part of routine test kits around the world, the U.N. health agency said Friday. It said it still was trying to trace two shipments that were supposed to go to Mexico and Lebanon.

The World Health Organization has been urging thousands of labs in 18 countries which had received vials of the nearly 50-year-old H2N2 virus to destroy the samples amid fears of a global pandemic should the virus be released."

So Mexica and Lebanon may still hold the virus. It is good news that so much of it has been destroyed, and I hope they find and destroy the rest. These two shipments were supposed to go to Mexica and Lebanon, but where did they go?!

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
UPDATE-
It is good news that so much of it has been destroyed, and I hope they find and destroy the rest. These two shipments were supposed to go to Mexica and Lebanon, but where did they go?!

first of all, thank you for the update phix

secondly, after patting their backs for intervening, I would hope that the WHO or CDC implements safedguards that would prevent the dispension of any samples or kits containing potentially lethal viruses.

Because, I for one, do not want to even imagine thousands of FED EX or other couriers transporting such dangerous material in the same breath of air that I occupy.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
the WHO and Cap said that the samples were carried by prestigious international carriers what and who that means is anyone's guess. However, they did go on to say that it was classified as BioLevel 2 which meaning that it wasn't particularly dangerous and also stated that they
were looking to upgrade that status.
H2N2 samples which are used are normally killed viruses, which mean they do not present a risk to anyone.

However, I for one find it pretty convienient that oops this lethal virus went missing.
news.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join