It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phone in planes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
aren't you anoyed by the people in the plane who turn on their phone as soon as the plane landed? i can't stand them anymore. like it's going to make a difference that you have your phone on. people don't even talk. the one who annoy me the most are the one who turn on their phone and then call the people waiting for them saying "hello, i'm in the plane, we just landed, i will see you in 10 min" such a waste of time. especially when you think that it's forbidden to turn on your phone inside the plane.
so rude

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's even more annoying when their chatting away on their cells while in the Theather.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
i agree with both of you...personally i think cell phones should NOT BE ALLOWED in places such as Theaters, Plains and even restaurant rooms...specially where peopel are having their meals...if you need to make a call ...step outside ..or to the W.C...

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
theatre is actually worse than the plane, or even restaurant! i always turn it off when i go see a movie.
i understnad why they do that though. at the beginning, it could have been because it looked cool, but now, everybody has one and it's not even cool anymore.
i heard once that they have invented a thing that "destroy" the pheon signal in a specific area so nobody can't call or receive a call. it might be an urban legend, but THAT would be cool

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
i found an even more annoying mobile phone use.
the bus. people think that they are alone and just start shouting in the bus. so annoying.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingjules
i heard once that they have invented a thing that "destroy" the pheon signal in a specific area so nobody can't call or receive a call. it might be an urban legend, but THAT would be cool

Not an urban legend. It's called a Faraday cage. You put conducting mesh in the walls to block radio signals from getting through. Works well in movie theaters because there's no window and few doors. Wouldn't work as well in restaurants because people want to see outside while eating. A thin film applied over the glass window exists to shield against radio signals, but it's very expensive, so I doubt restaurant owners will bother to do that any time soon.

Another more proactive method is jamming the 800-900 MHz and 1900Mhz bands of frequencies to prevent cellphone from calling or receiving calls. That method is highly illegal, you'll get fined or arrested if you get caught doing that. Plus those devices are not approved by the FCC, for obvious reasons, so the device is unpredictable and dangerous, it may interfere with someone's pacemaker and kill him.

Then there's the monkey solution, punch that annoying brat in the face, that will teach him. Eventually the mofo will have to learn the hard way that a movie theater is not the right place to yap on his cellphone.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by ufia]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The main thing that annoys me about cellphones on a plane is that you can't even have it turned on to play games... Of all my experience with avionics (6yrs comm/nav in the Air Force), I've never seen cell phones mess with any radios or navigation equipment. I went as far as to play a flight sim on my phone when in the air and I didn't control the aircraft...

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I just did a Google for "cellphone jammers"

www.google.ca...

It looks like theatres are putting in stuff that will block this annoyance.

How Stuff Works also has some info on how the technology works.
electronics.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The newest annoyance? That darn feature where you don't even have to hold the phone to your head to talk anymore! Use the walkie talkie feature and let the whole dang neighborhood know what you're doing. Just "BLEEP-yeah, I'm here!" "BLEEP-ok, see you in a min" "BLEEP-ok"
:shk:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Just to correct one point you made, it's NOT forbidden to use cellphones on the planes UNTIL you are on the runway. The individual airline can say that they don't want you to use it until the door opens but the overall FAA regulations now say that on the taxiway, until you are on, or after you are off the runway you can use your phone. Most of the big airlines will allow you to, but some don't still.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I dunno if the FCC has approved it yet, but there's a regulatory change pending that will allow unlimited use of cell phones on commercial airlines throughout the entire flight. According to the newspaper, repeaters have to be installed on the aircrafts themselves. Once that happens airline cabins are gonna get real noisy. Seems like the flight attendants' unions would try to fight this.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
This comes up every so often lately. I don't think they'll ever go through with it, because you'd hear too many complaints from travellers and flight crews about people talking constantly on the phone.

top topics

join