It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe is there more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
universe =1+verse

what if there was another so called verse

Im not talking about the chronicles of riddik I mean for real what if there was really another verse it says in the bible god created the universe well
what if there was somebody else that created another verse ?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Ok.

Any reason for this other than the fact that it's got a singular prefix? I'm willing to bet there's a 'one' up front because it's supposed to be the ONLY one i.e. there is only one and this is it.

There's no reason why there wouldn't be other universes, but we'd have no way of detecting it. Counts as 'No' in my book.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I think that universe actually is some sort of latin or greek derivative. It actually refers to a singular, all-encompassing existence.

Technically, if there were a multiverse it would exist within the "universe," by definition.

I would rather call our corner of the woods a "brane" to be current with the times. I'm sure in 20 years I'll have a better name for it.

apc

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Take everything we can see, everything billions of light years away, what we call our "universe." For all we know, there's another "universe" right next to ours. Like two cities next to eachother. You cant see the other city because it's too far away and there's too much of our own city in the way. But it just might be there.
Carry this to the extremes and that means that what we know of as the universe, has been repeated many many times. There could be another you, another me, another everyone, doing the exact same things we're doing, and you dont have to bother with extra dimensions. Theyre just so far away that in all practical sense, they are in a different universe, even though its only another large cluster of clusters of galaxies like our own "universe." There could be an infinite number of the exact same people in existance simply due to statistics and the possibility of a truely infinite universe.
If any of this is proven, which I doubt it can ever be, rethinking the beginning of the universe would be one of many new puzzles to figure out.

> although it does play nicely with string theory and membranes... as a brane would supercede 4dimensional limitations

it says in the bible god created the universe

Often it is speculated that "God" is just a highly, highly, highly advanced intelligence capable of creating universes at will. For all we know, the entity referred to in scriptures as God is actually a member of an entire race, and they each have their own universe sitting in a tank on their dresser. I know if I had such abilities, I would

[edit on 12-4-2005 by apc]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
the 'uni' can also mean unity/unified/union. I suspect that it means something more along those lines

But really, its just a word, madeup by people. It has no meaning in and of itself.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Protector
Technically, if there were a multiverse it would exist within the "universe," by definition.

You can have other universes, if they exist on different dimensions than we do, that have nothing to do with us and are indetectable, but do certainly exist. We'd never know it. That's what I hinted at above^.

It's like The Moon, The Sun, and The Earth. There's one moon for one earth around one sun in one 'verse.' We're kinda self centered, and name everything as if it's THE one, and name the other ones other names.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Universe
noun
- All matter and energy, including the earth, the galaxies, and the contents of intergalactic space, regarded as a whole.
- The totality of all existing things

I believe the the word universe comes from the latin word "universum", which is derived from "unus" (one) and "vertere" (to turn). In other words turn into one, combine into one whole.

I've always thought of the universe as everything that exists and that there is and can only ever be one. If there were other universes or objects found outside what we call our universe then they would really be part of our universe and we would have to change what we consider to be the boundary of our universe (if that makes any sense?).

new topics

top topics

join