It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In world history class I learned about other world religions, but why not christianity?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreWithin

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Well, it might be because our nation is a Christian nation .
would that not make US a "Theocracy" and not a "Democracy" It is still "We the people"........right?........not "We the Christians".....

Well, it depends on what you mean by a "Christian Nation." If you mean that the majority of US citizens currently identify themselves as Christian, we're a Christian Nation in the same way we're an Employed Nation, or a Female Nation.

On the other hand, if you're saying that we should have a legally codified recognition of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior...well, you'll have to take my secular representative democracy from me first

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
"In world history class I learned about other world religions, but why not christianity?"

I find that interesting, usually it seems that Christianity is given more emphasis than other religions. Like some of the other people said, I think it's probably because they assume that the class already has a passing familiarity with Christianity, and are less likely to be familiar with other great world religions, such as Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc etc etc. It also depends upon what sort of class it was; perhaps the course was deliberately structured to focus on non-Christian religions.

At my university, there are tons of courses on religion, and they span the whole range, from general survey courses to specific analyses of one religion, or even one religious figure. We also have a Catholic college that is affiliated with the university here, and they teach a bunch of Christianity courses, in addition to the ones taught by the department of religion, although from a decidedly different point of view.

<< 1   >>

join